1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SuperX Model 1 Vs Beretta 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by charlevillecat, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Which gun seems to best the better of the two.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Beretta would best the better of the two which makes them equal??

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Super X-1 is flawless in design.. and machining.. The 391 is aluminum alloy,stampings,castings. and a whole load of crap parts.. Both last a very long time.. I shoot a 391 much better than a Super X-1.. but I can't stand the grinding of trash in a 391.. or my 390.. It does.. by the end of the day bother me.. I'll take my model 50 Winchester..and leave the rest to you.. All Good.. Mike

4. johnboy

johnboy Member

How does the 303 beretta compare to the SX-1 or 391? I looked at couple this weekend that were supposedly unfired(no box). Both were 12 ga., one was a skeet model with a 26" barrel and fairly decent wood, asking price $700. The other was described as a sporter with 28" barrel and screw in chokes with rather plain wood priced at 1100 dollars. I was impressed with the gas system's relative simplicity compared to the SX-1 and the lighter weight compared to the SX-1. When I said simplicity I was refering to no O rings or bolt buffer to replace. I feel the same as Bigbore when comparing the construction of the two guns. I know Beretta makes very good guns and the 303 felt very good but I felt they were priced too high. Are unfired 303s bring those prices?

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

nIB 303's and Sx-1's are at premium pricing. If you compare a sx-1 trap with nice wood to a new 391 with nice wood the price is very close. Whiich is better/ I love teh Sx-1 as my handle will attest but I own, have owned and still own some of all of them. I like diffrent guns for diffrent things. I can shoot an 1100 out of the box better then I can a SX-1 or a 303 or a Beretta 390, 391 for that matter.

Still doesn't make the 1100 my favorite as most of my guns are highly customised after purchase. I like teh sx-1 for reliability, the 390's for reliability, 1100's for point abilty and low recoil.

They are diffrent not better. If soft recoil is makes a gun better then an 1100 is best. If pretty in a reliable package is better then the Sx-1 out of the box is best.

They will all function flawlessly if kept clean, lubed and worn parts replaced before they break.

If I could have only one it would be the Sx-1 but it would be more sentimental then practical as they are all good. I think a Sx-1 will last longer without cleaning then a Beretta based on my own exp witj them. Doesn't make it better.

What is better a shooter who cleans and maintains his guns or one who ignores them until they break? The individual shooter must ask himself this question.

Jeff

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

this is like asking someone- which kind of woman to dance with??-- man---its which one feels better to YOU!!! but everyone wants to date a girl who is popular!!-- watch this forum and see what is popularly traded---303's by a long ways and the 391 fills most racks at the club vs the winchester or remington!!! swiching from those 2 brands is like switching religions and i respect that!!!!! -- if you are are looking for a autoloader- call me--wally riebesell 660-744-4115

7. chikeneyes

chikeneyes TS Member

1 sx-1 will last a life time or more

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

In the order of reliability and feel i will go with the 303,390,super x and then the 391. All preference and if the super x felt like it was something other than a club i would own a boat load as they are tough and dependable. Too bulky a frame and forearm for me.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

He is right.. a factory trap or skeet grade sX-1 for-end is like a Volkswagen or a Browning A-5 autoloader. You either love them or hate them. Not a whole lot in between. I have either custom or field grade for-ends on all my SX-1's. the factory for-end is made for a man with larger hands then mine. Jeff

10. chuckles

chuckles Member

I performed a service job on a SX1 for a guy from the Louisana bayou's, the guy got the gun from his father who was a Trapper, Hunter, Guide specializing in Alligators....

The SX1 was a Field grade 28" barrel, plain jane.

All the gun needed was a new buffer, new O ring and a little cleaning...

There was very little bluing left, the wood looked like a well used two x four...

The guy said his father spent most of his life deep in the bayou's every day, 7 days a week, 11 months a year and the SX1 never left his side.

The bottom edge of the stock was just a series of file marks from the receiver to the butt plate, he said each mark was an Alligator.

He said he planned on keeping the gun for hunting purposes.

A true story...

11. chuckles

chuckles Member

"Boomer" Bob Baumgart used to tell the story of his trip to Argentina for Dove shooting....

He said the outfit had just gotten rid of all their Remington's and replaced them with Beretta 390's...

He used his Super X on some 5000 shots across a week of shooting and never had a mishap.

A true story...

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

The Number 2 all around shotgun shooter guy, Scotty Robertson uses a Beretta 391.

The number 1 Sporting Clays shooter guy, Anthony Materasi uses a Beretta 391.

A true story...

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

And Scott will be the first to agree the 303 and 390 are better guns. I will not speak for Anthony but know these guys have to shoot what is current production.

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

BeBop:

Apparently you are ignorant of the numbers of shells and doves that can be shot in Argentina at Eared Doves in a day. KILLING a 1000 doves per day is done by many people. The record for killing doves by ONE PERSON in a DAY in Argentina is over 10,000 doves. You just proved your stupidity and ignorance with your reply to this thread. And fowl mouthed about others you don't even know (or knew) too. Your a real piece of work.

DoubleAuto

15. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Bebop... The individual record for Argentina doves in a DAY is in the high 6000's if not 7000's now. Shooting 5000 shells in a WEEK is completely EXPECTED... thats one of the reasons the initial price of the vacation is "cheap" as they will make it up on shells throughout the trip.

The 391 with heavier optima barrel, using a 390 carrier (sad but true), is about as smooth and pointable auto as one will find. If one isn't getting at least a couple thousand trigger pulls between cleaning... then something isn't right... says the dirty Promo reloading shooter who expects 2000+ without fail between cleaning sessions.

The SX-1 is an awfully nice gun though... hmmmm there is an extra spot in the gun safe at the moment...

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester super x model 1 vs beretta a391