1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SuperX -1 values

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Poacher502, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

I'm trying to gather some information on 2 SuperX -1s.and there value
    I have 2 SuperX trap guns both are unfired with 32inch barrels one of them is a pigeon grade and the other is a super pigeon. they have matching single diggit serial numbers And I even have the boxes
    From what little info I have been able to find due to winchesters poor records is there were 41 of the pigeon grades made and 81 of the super pigeons so they are both rare and with matching numbers the set I think is probably one of a kind my issue is coming up with a true market value of the pair for an estate sale
    Any info will be helpful and thanks for your time
    Matt

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

The first thing I would do to determine value would be to check Gunbroker for completed auctions and see for what similar models have sold. Posting good, high resolution(not cell phone)pictures here would be another step in the right direction, as these are collector grade SX-1s, if they are in pristine condition, and there are many very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

The condition of the metal and of the wood are very important to Winchester collectors. I, for one, have never seen or heard of a 32" SX-1 barrel, so that is a rarity that other SX-1 owners/collectors need to address.

I would also post this information and pictures in the 'Winchester only' column on the 'shotgunworld' forum, as there are about 5 very knowledgeable Winchester people over there, several of whom own one or both of the models you are trying to value. A very detailed description of the surface condition is also important.

Close-up pictures of the ends of the boxes and the labels on them are very important, as are good pictures of the engraving and serial numbers. The more information you can post on these forums, the closer to market value we'll be able to come.
    Jack

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, please post detailed pictures .....

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....32" X-1.....never heard of one....are you sure?

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a 32 inch SX-1, if true this is a real collectors item.

Tom Strunk

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Measure the barrels from the chamber to rthe end of teh barrel. If you have 32 inch barrels, they will be the only 32 inch barrels I have ever seen.

Completed auctions on Gunbroker.com will not be any help as there have been no "True" super pigeons or pigeons in the timeframe of the compleated auctions.

The boxes for your guns should be very plain and not like and other sx-1 boxes. The serial numbers should start with SP and then the number and P and then the number. You are correct that although the super pigeon was worth more money the pigeon is rarer. I.E fewer were made.

Matched pair as far as serial number? Rare set and maybe the only one made. I sold my Super Pigeon for 5500 10 years ago. I would say the matched set should open at 10,000. Worth will be very hard if not impossible to determine if it is a one of set kind set.Jeff

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I would take them to the Pawn Stars in Las Vegas, then I could see them on TV. Maybe Chum could shoot one. :) Mark

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

14:00 and still no pics of this rarity....

9. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

Sorry guys at work at the moment I will post pics ASAP

10. bz5119

bz5119 Member

Check prices of recent sales on Gunbroker, i'll match the highest one you find :)

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

No such item has sold on Gunbroker.com in far longer then the time of completed auctions. I have followed it quite closely for many, many years. I think the last true Super pigeon sold may have been mine. Lots of fakes listed and sold over the last 10 years with lots of wonderful stories of why they were the real thing. Funny thing..... They all have one thing in common. The wrong serial numbers.

12. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

I have never seen a 32" Super x 1 barrel. I have made a few 32" 33" and 34". I would definitely be interested in some pictures. Winchesters records for the Sx1 should be good?

Roger

13. KDGJ

KDGJ TS Member

I agree with Jack, post the pics and information on shotgun world. Pauline Muerrie worked as an engraver for Winchester and posts quite often on shotgun world. You could also contact her from her website Paulinemuerrie.com.

Ken

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Never say never when it comes to winchesters or Brownings. Custom shop crazienes knows no bounds. But we need to see it. Jeff

15. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

ok i doubled checked barrels even read the box and there 30s sorry about the false hopes so to speak !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. alf174

alf174 Member

Beautiful, thanks for posting.

17. shaggist

shaggist Member

It looks like the man has the goods. 1 Super Pigeon and 1 Pigeon with matching serial numbers. I would like to hear Pauline's opinion, but that will take much better pictures of the engraving. Now, what are they worth? SuperX Jeff, you're up.
    Jack

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Those are the real thing right down to the boxes I mentioned in my first post. Since they came from the custom shop and they didn't have the sx-1 shotgun boxes at the custom shop they were shipped in those boxes.

Too bad the serial lumbers do not match. Now you have a Pigeon grade gun and a super pigeon grade gun.

Still... The grade 5 should be worth 5,000 to 7,000 and the pigeon 3,000 plus.

The book value can not be used as it is a joke. In fact... I will give you full book value for both of them! Nice clean and original examples of both of them. Jeff

It still amazes me how plain Jane the wood they put on these can be. As any guy who has looked at many sx-1 trap and skeet grade guns can tell you. The wood they put on these was nowhere even close to the best wood they had.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

P.S My super pigeon had that same peg leg dog on the right. Poor guys looks like a pirate. Jeff

20. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

Jack and Jeff thanks for all the info I took the pics tonight in my shop and the light wasn't right to see a lot of the engraving but short notice it had to do
    Now I need to decide wiether to sell them or keep them unfortunately I'm a shooter more than a collector so the longer I have them the more likely they are to being shot its that lack of self control!