1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Superx-1 Bolt Buffer sad story..... Learn from me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Well last night I decided i wanted a trap stock for Goose hunting this morning. I had an almost new SX-1 that had seldom been shot. I took the field stock off the gun and noticed the bolt buffer looked original. I know full well that they can look perfect and shatter in one shot but I didn't want to screw with replacing it at 11:00 last night. I swapped the field stock for a montecarlo trap and put a 20 Thousanths choke in the barrel and I was ready to go. The following happened 3 shots into the morning. I had an extra gun with me so all was not lost but this cost me 250.00 becaus ethe stock is ruined.

This happened after 3 shots with a bolt buffer that looked new even though it was original. See the pictures and learn from me....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Was the buffer your problem Jeff? I'm not sure I follow how that would cause that. I plead ignorace and would appreciate the education. Sorry for your problem, Bob

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

oh yeah, it will cause it and has happened to me. The super x 1 is a wonderful gun but they do have buffer issues

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

How in the hell did the bolt follower get up that high ?? You would think it would go into the hole that the buffer was in ??

It seems the link has jumped out of the follower and went thru the buffers hole in the receiver, and into the stock, amazing.

I have shot Super X's probably more than anyone here and have never had a buffer issue, whenever it would get egg shaped I would replace it. I'm sorry for your problem, that's sad.

Tom Strunk

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Looks like the aluminum follower failed to me. You could shoot the gun with no buffer and not have that happen if the bolt assy was seated properly in the detent of the follower.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

claybrdr,

Bingo! That was more of a FOLLOWER issue than a bolt buffer issue....it is likely the recoil tube assembly was "loose" and the link jumped the follower, or, the follower had a "worn lip" and the link "jumped it"........

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I agree with the last two posts. first you say it was a original buffer, did you mean it was 30 years old?
    I have had a buffer fall out and didn't hurt the gun.

8. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

I agree, something other than a buffer caused this. I also have shot without a buffer (didn't know it at the time) and it marked the inside rear of the receiver but the follower stayed in the tube as it should. please keep us posted when you remove bolt. Jack

9. overbored

overbored Member

SX1 has tolerances of how much of the return spring housing sticks through the receiver' I would bet when you changed stocks you wound the whole spring-tube housing out. A bad buffer did not cause this.

Hugh

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

One of the very first things I do with a new SX-1 is to install a new stainless steel follower, along with a recoil spring and buffer. I have seen the original factory aluminum followers so beaten up and distorted that its no wonder it could fail.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Guys... I have had lots of buffers fail over the years and quite often the link comes off of the follower. When the buffer shatters it allows the bolt to go too far back and in the process of going forward the it some how allowes the bolt to go too far forward (bolt speed I suspect) come away from the follower.

I have never seen one go down before ( down meaning in the direction of the buffer). Normally when they pop out they go up. This is quite common as I have seen it many times when an original buffer shatters.

It was a perfect timing it went down and straight through the bolt buffer hole and out the stock.

The follower is fine as this gun has only had a couple hundred rounds fired through it. Guys.. I have seen this happen before with NIB sx-1's that are 40 years old with the original buffer.

I have just never seen one( the link) come out and go down likwe this. I have seen sx-1's that were fired for years without a bolt buffer and the hole in the back and the back of the bolt were HAMMERED! The recoil return spring on a sx-1 is adjustable and I suspect some of the links popping out COULD have to do with an inproper adjustment either at the factory or from some guy messing with it.

After firing 250,000 rounds through a Sx-1 I have seen a few things and a link popping out when a bolt buffer shatters is not uncommon. I have seen it many times.

I guess the diffrence is that normally I replace the buffer as soon as I get a sx-1 but I have so many that I guess I just forgot or maybe this gun has been sitting in the safe for 10 years.

Not meaning to start a How did this happen thread as I know how it happened. I have owned a huge pile of sx-1's and this is the first time I have seen a link pop out and behave like this. I just compared the measurment of the recoil spring tube placement to my Baumgart gun and it is within a few 1/10's of an inch.

I was shooting a heavya 2 3/4 inch shell. I suspect that may not have helped things.

We did kill 20 Western Canada Geese by 7:30 though so the day was not without it's sucess.

I put a buffer in the gun and put the stock back on the gun and I suspect it will not miss a lick for the better part of 25,000 rounds.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Tom Strunk......How in the hell did the bolt follower get up that high ?? You would think it would go into the hole that the buffer was in ??

You are right Tom, It did go through the hole the buffer was in. The buffer sits right above the recoil spring assembly. Jeff

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jeff, I shoot my X-1 occasionally, I'm curious as to how the bolt can travel to far forward. Did the bolt slide link get bent a little when the buffer shattered? Is your locking bolt damaged? Unfortunate accident, those high brass shells can do funny things.

Wayne

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

You just need to start shooting those Beretta 390's and your troubles will be over. No need for all the parts replacing with a 390.

15. skeet2day

skeet2day Active Member

WOW...never seen this before...glad your ok...

Is the receiver still useable? Or did it take the whole back out?

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Easy to see WHAT happened, the question is how or why.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have no idea how it goes too far forward but that is the only way the link could come off and out of the follower. Jeff

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Wow Jeff....first, I'm glad you are alright and didn't take a splinter to the face or eye.

Next, I'm glad you day of goose hunting ended well. LOL

Third, its really something that the follower went right through the buffer hole, but I'm with you, that's exactly looks like exactly what happened.

As for how a shattered (lack of) buffer caused this...I don't know either. But I can speculate that the give in the buffer slows down the return of the bolt just a bit and perhaps without it in place the returning bolt exceeded the return speed of the recoil spring and it jumped the track. Do you think you may want to look at the condition of the recoil spring also??

Sorry to see a nice trap stock go down like this, but glad you are ok.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The spring has normal tension and I will fire it this evening with heavy loads and I suspect it will be fine. If not I have piles of springs. I have a bunch of heavy springs from wrights ( BROWNELLS) that are so heavy the emptys fall at your feet. Jeff

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Replaced the buffer and it shot fine with heavy and light loads. The shells ejected a normal distance so I left the spring alone.

It had to be the recoil of the third shot as the popping out of the link had to happen as it went forward. I think the kink just popped the wrong way when it did and the next shot drove it through the buffer space. My guess is that it would have went farther had it not been for the diameter of the link. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
replace winchester super x model 1 bolt buffer
super x model 1 bolt slide buffer
super x1 bolt buffer canada
winchester super x fix where buffer goes

winchester sx1 bolt buffer