1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

superposed vs Win 101

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Murphy, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

Are the Browning superposed and winchester 101 similar and are they both still being made????//

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Sorry if this comes across poorly. You own a computer and you have an internet connection. how is it that you are so far on the fringes of shotgun shooting that you would ask such a question is completely beyond me. I think they stopped making the Superposed more than 30 years ago!!! Win 101s made it into the 80s. then there were the "classic doubles" that stayed alive a couple more years.

3. Gary Waalkes

ps - what do you mean by similar? some 101s were over unders. I guess that makes them similar to the browning models.

4. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

The Superposed was made in Belgium and it is no longer available as a regular cataloged standard grade item but it can still be ordered from the Browning Custom Shop----but the prices are very high; so high that few are sold in the US.

The Winchester 101 was made in Japan and was a somewhat similar copy of the Browning guns but was discontinued years ago ----until just very recently.

This will sound odd, but now Winchester has introduced a new model 101 gun that somewhat resembles the old 101 as far as the lines of the stock goes. The gun is totally different from the original and it locks up in a different manner (more like the method used by Beretta 680 series guns). Still , they are calling it the Winchester 101. There is a reveiw of the Sporting Clays model starting on page 18 in the Oct/Nov issue of ClayShooting USA. What makes it even more strange, is that this new Winchester is being made in Belgium; as now the Browning and Winchester companies are under the same umbrella as FN.

5. Murphy

Murphy Member

Gary, Never mind, I was confusing the 101 and citori, everyone on this web-site does not have an attitude problem, thanks for nothing Gary, you are right it does come across poorly.

6. Gary Waalkes

again, sorry it comes off poorly. but you gotta admit that asking about a gun that has not been made since 1976 and comparing it to another old gun that hasn't been made for 20 years is really out there. Kind of hard to not to jump on that.

7. Gary Waalkes

Longhorn - Shooting registered trap and passing the time of day on a gunning web site are two very different things. A person asked a question and I responded. Perhaps my response was a bit rough, but at least I know an old gun when I see it and I also have enough integrity to put my name behind my statements.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Gary,

You should try harder.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Just for clarification, the term superposed simply means one barrel over another barrel and refers to any over/under shotgun configuration. The term does not designate a specific model of gun such as a Belgium Browning.

Pat Ireland

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The Browning Superposed is STILL being made.....check out the custom shop section of the Browning website...the selection changes...it has never stopped being made....get your facts straight. It is a custom shop only gun now and prices start at around 20K.

11. WGB

WGB Member

Hey Murphy 1, not everyone is a moron on this site, just some. Nothing wrong with asking a question (except to some jerks behind a keyboard).

If your familiar with Shotgunworld.com try it out. Knowledgeable group of people that enjoy answering questions and providing information.

12. redix

redix TS Member

Why can't a question just be answered without all the irrelevant asides?

13. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Pat, Browning calls the gun Superposed" on their web site when looking up manuals and parts.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Pat, You are right about the origin and meaning of the word "superposed." But Browning did indeed call their over/under the "Superposed." Jake

15. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Don't ever ask a question Gary,someone may think your a dolt too!I'm already half convinced by your reponse to this fellow.Jack

16. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Pat, I just can't resist, Wrong.........Browning did and still does call that wonderfull old stack-barrel "SUPERPOSED".........LQTM....Roger (That is, laughing quietly to myself)

17. Stuart

Stuart Member

Murphy I think you might be noticing the similarity between a Superposed and the 101. They both were made on the John Browning design that he and his brothers came up with around 1917. This design has been copied by many different manufactures and has stood the test of time.
    Stuart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning superposed vs winchester 101

superposed vs 101 winchester shotgun