1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Superposed Mech & Wood Advice please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Have a Browning Superposed, 1952, it's seen plenty of shells, but I shoot it pretty well and it's my doubles gun. I don't want to pour a bunch of money into it, but was wondering what your thoughts would be on the following...

There is a little play in the action between the barrels and the stock and at some point someone made it an extractor (barely lifts the shell) instead of ejector. My first question is, can the play be tightened up (I'm talking gunsmithing, not self help)? And if so, where would you send it to have that done, along with the extractor work? It's also fixed F/IM and I was considering having Briley's tapped...good idea?

Secondly, I'd like to refinish the wood, but the checkering on the grip is worn down and wanted to look into having it recheckered before I refinish it (this I would do myself). What can I expect to pay, is it worth it (I know it's a personal question, just looking for opinions), and where should I look to have that done?

Thanks,
    Chip

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Talk to the guys at Art's. The goto place for all things Browning.

Eric

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Chip, I was happy with the work Doug Braker aka. Gun Dr, did on my '63 superposed. Tightened, welded, and reground.

As to the ejector. It was common for the ejector legs to break off the ejectors. Thus making it an extractor. Not an inexpensive repair. I learned to live with mine.

4. plux001

plux001 Member

Gotta second Art's.
    Speak with Art, Nick or Brad.
    They will work with you and your budget.
    Just got some work done on my Super, and they could not have been
    finer gentleman to work with. At least give them a call....

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.