Trapshooters Forum banner

Superposed.. Drop at comb and heel?

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  wm rike 
#1 ·
I have found a Superposed Broadway Lightning(1961) that I am considering buying.

The gun shoots well for me...but a mite high.

I could get used to this but I would prefer to make it sight exactly like my other guns...(a Browning skeet high rib 4 bbl combo). The weight would be very easy to match to my combo set...since is just a few ounces lighter.

My question is whether or not all Broadway/Superposed stocks have the same drop at the comb and heel of the comb? I really need one that is about 1/8 inch lower at the front of the comb...and the same (+) 1/4 inch more at the heel of the comb.

This gun already has an adjustable comb...but it is bottomed out. I can alter/shorten the comb's height...but I was just wondering about all the other Superposed guns out there...and if they are all pretty much alike in regard to drop ate the heel and comb?.

Thanks to everyone...Stan

#2 ·
You are probably like many shooters that think they have to have the beads line up or have the figure 8 to shoot well. You might be surprised at how well you can shoot it seeing space between the beads if you give it a chance and don't cram your cheek down on the comb to try to achieve your normal sight picture. I sighted down a friend's shotgun a few years back and told him that I wouldn't be able to shoot his gun as there were so much space between the beads that it looked like it was running uphill. now after I have gotten passed having to have my beads line up or in a figure 8 I see the targets better shooting a higher POI as my head is more upright and I break the targets easier. Give it a good trial period and you might be surprised.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys...

Charger...yep you're right ....but I have tried this one and it shoots a little high (in fact not quite a little...but a "mite")....lol.

It shoots well...but I need the same site picture on "all" my guns. So they will all shoot where I look...(even though the peripheral shadow is all I ever see.. if that).

Thanks..(Jack)MX2G I appreciate the offer. DO you shoot a Superposed much, I know you're a Perazzi fan too?

Best regards...Stan

#7 ·
Field and skeet Supers have 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 drops and are much friendlier than the trap stocks. Buy one with a hard butt and install a pad to your pull dimension. Your long tang may be hard to duplicate in a "found" stock. Either convert to a short tang trigger guard of shave your adjustable comb.

#10 ·
Eightbore...thanks for that info...I didn't know about the differences on the field and skeet stocks for sure.

I hate to start filing on the comb...but will if that's the only alternative. It's just a pain to restain and try to match the rest of the wood on these old guns. They are sorta orange compared to the later model Brownings (which I have an exact stain for). It'll take some experimentation...and this gun isn't ruff, but not pristine either. I imagine if I start on that I'll refinish the whole wood set.

For an experiment...I got to digging around in my parts bins.. and found a sight bead that is a larger diameter and a little taller post than what is on the gun. I've installed that and adjusted the weight of the gun till it now weighs almost 9 lbs. exactly.

That's pretty light for trap guns these days...but weight had been taking it's toll on an old left arm injury...so I'm having to make adjustments for that.

Porcupine.. That's a 1/4 " difference in the drop . I'm surprised...mine is only 1/8" difference ...whish it was just a "scoche" more. It would like to push my ear plugs out...which makes me want to raise my head.

Since the sun is out and the temp is 24 degrees this afternoon in Fort Worth...it looks like a good day to go to the club and try out my new adjustments....LOL! I'm sure the drive out and back will take longer than the experiment!

Of course that's short sleeve weather for you guys up north..right? Heh, heh!

Stan...

#13 ·
Yeah...I thought you guys up there would get a giggle out of that..Heh heh..

The stiff north wind on our tall smooth hill didn't help either.. especially when your trying to see how a "new" gun shoots. Our targets were like kites yesterday...and I was trying the gun out all the way back.

I loved the weight and little recoil. No face slap like I have to deal with many new guns...

Comb all the way down and face buried in the stock...eye on the target only...clipped the top off the bird when I did hit it. If yesterday was a true accurate indicator, the comb needs to come down...into the stock. I hope that was just a fluke of a day...I don't think I want to get into that.

It has stacked beads.. for those that subscribe to that. I shoot off the end of the gun...so that is a non factor to me..(except for patterning).

I really have to get down on the gun more than I remember on a Superposed I had years ago. Maybe age and familiarity with the higher rib guns is my nemesis now..

I may have to look for a higher rib vintage Citori with fixed chokes. The guns didn't get heavy till the advent of the screw in chokes...and reducing the weight is also one of my objectives.

It was a very disappointing day...I thought the Superposed might be the holy grail I was looking for.

Maybe it will get "well" tomorrow...lol.

Stan...

#17 ·
Virtually all of the Broadway guns were trap models and have the same stock as yours. There were a very few sold as skeet guns with field stock dimensions but almost all were 26 1/2 or 28 inch barrels and will be choked skeet/skeet. All post war 30" barrel guns will be trap models with the same dimensions as your gun with once exception. The magnum models will have 30" barrels, and will typically be choked full/full or mod/full and have field stock dimensions. Supposedly there were a few 30" barrel solid rib guns with field stocks made after the war but I have never seen one and I have looked at quite a few old superposeds. You might be able to find a long tang field stock and have it fitted to your gun, but you will probably have several hundred dollars invested. It will take some looking to find one at a realistic price. Avoid anything dated 1967 or later unless you know how to test for salt wood, because many take offs are from salt wood guns. Practically, your best bet is to cut down your comb.

#18 ·
I have 67 Broadway; similar problems. Made the choice to get an adjustable comb and haven't looked back. Best thing I could have done. If you are going to shoot it, might as well get it set up. No sense wasting time. Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.