1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Super X rib height question ...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Does anybody know if the height of a rib on a 30" field barrel is lower than the rib height on a 30" trap model.

I have one of each that I'm looking at and if there is a difference, it would be measured in millimeters.

Actually, they both look the same.

Thanks.

2. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

My Trap Barrel rib sets noticeably higher than the same 30 inch field barrel. If you really want an accurate measurement I'll bring home my depth mics and measure em both.
    Keith

3. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Thanks Keith....

That is exactly why I bought a 30" field gun, to have a flatter shooting rib for sporting. And I was very surprised when I looked at it to see that they were the same, or so close that it is hard to see the difference. Maybe I got sent a trap barrel by a barrel swapper, but the field barrel does have the simple metal bead sight rather that the white bradley. That is what fooled me on the purchase.

When I look real hard side to side, I think i see a minute difference, but definately not "noticeable" like you say. I think it would be interesting if you could 'mic' the diffenence and post that on this site.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

What makes you think the trap barrel won't work for Sporting? The SX-1 traps were notoriously flat shooters. One of the reasons they were not popular in trap. Everyones face is different, but I use a trap barrel for sporting, and stiil struggle to stack the beads. Theres always a "gap" between 'em.

5. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

That's right, the Trap barrels were marked Trap. I think I am looking at two 30" field barrels. One with a bradley and one with a metal bead. I need to dig my trap gun out and compare these against that one. Appreciate it.

The 30" trap barrel for sporting,... maybe?,

It depends on the stock you've got. I have one of those straight trap stocks, non-Monte Carlo, and I like the lower rib as a personal preference. You do have choke tubes in your 30" trap barrel, right?

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

An early model trap and a late model field rib are very, very close to the same height. Very noticeable difference in a late model trap and field.

7. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have been shooting SX1's with a 30" IM trap barrel and skeet wood for sporting clays for several years. They shoot right on for me. I have one barrel with choke tubes that I hardly use. One that was opened to .012 that I used to use for closer targets. But lately I have been shooting a stock IM that just seems to work very well. The factory IM barrels have a great choke and pattern very well. Good luck with yours. Les

8. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Hi Sportshot-
    Since you have one of each, can you measure the air gap between the top of the barrel and the bottom of the rib at both the muzzle end and the receiver end to compare the differences in the barrels? It would be great if you can share your findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.