1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870compman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I wanted a Winchester Super X since I shot a friends quite a few years ago. I finally found one I liked, and bought it. I shot one round of skeet with it. It jammed on the first bird of the second round.

What happened was the bolt jamed to the back and would not close. I removed the trigger and the bolt slammed closed. I shot it again and the same thing happened. I don't think it is the shells they are new Federals 3dram of 1 1/8oz 8's.

2nd question;

How do you remove the bolt. Seems I have tried everything except prying it out with a screw driver.

What is going on?

Dale Wolff

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Comes out just like an 1100. Remove the trigger, remove the bolt handle, take off forend and barrel, pull slide and bolt out of the receiver.
    Sonny

3. fnj682

fnj682 Member

Just a guess........A damaged or missing bolt buffer?

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A damaged or missing buffer is likely what you have. Take a hint from an old head and remove the stock before replacing buffer. :^)

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Don't shoot it any more until you know you have a good buffer. You can do serious damage to the bolt. Ron

Added: Speaking from sad experience.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have illustrated take-down instructions for SX-1. I'll make you a copy if you like. No doubt the buffer is the culprit, I had one for sale once and the same thing happened and queered the deal!

7. JPM

JPM Member

I agree that your problem is probably a bad buffer. Don't shoot the gun again until you have a new buffer. First time you replace one have someone who knows how to do it allow you to watch. There are several sources - I buy mine from Wrights Gunsmithing in Pinckneyville, Illinois. If you break your bolt you'll have to buy another bolt. They are expensive. The part that breaks is no longer being manufactured, or so I am led to believe by my several SX 1 expert friends.
    The removal of the bolt can be slightly more difficult than it seems that it ought to be. Pull the bolt handle out. Remove the trigger group, secure the gun upside down (in a gun vise or have someone hold it still for you) take a standard screwdriver and depress the button at the rear of the receiver that the bolt "arm" fits in. The first time you do this the arm will fall down into the receiver and you'll say, "well, darn." Then you'll figure out some way to hook it so that when you depress the button you can pull it up. Then slide the bolt back slowly and carefully and when it gets to the rear you can pick it up from the rear end of the bolt and lift it out. (I've bent a paperclip into a hook to keep the "arm" from falling down and to lift it up and out. Needle nose pliers also work well.) When you are ready to put the bolt back into the gun put a little bit of oil on the rails on which the bolt rides.
    I hope that you enjoy your SX 1 journey as much as I am enjoying mine. I've acquired three of them in the last 6 months.
    John Matthews

8. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

While you have a buffer problem , don't overlook the link and the follower in the action-tube. as possible contributors to the jamming . I've seen many jams caused by a worn follower , but , never run into a jam caused by a damaged or missing buffer . Maybe I have been lucky .

Charlie

9. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Never have I changed a recoil spring in all the years I have shot this type of gun. Some people on here always say to change it, but I never have and never had any problems with the gun on cycling. I also talked to my gunsmith in SoCal that also shot a SX-1 in ATA trapshooting for many years and he never changed his spring. This is not the problem.

I agree that the problem is either the bolt slide buffer or the return spring follower. I would replace both at the same time, very inexspensive and you can do it yourself.

The only spring that I found needed to be replaced every couple of years, when shot heavily, was the firing pin spring.

Tom Strunk

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It took me a while to find this, maybe somebody can use them. Wayne

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status: