1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DeerSkip, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeerSkip

DeerSkip TS Member

I need some help on this one, my Super X fires when I close the action!!!
    I have cleaned the gun, stripped it right down. I will normally shoot 4 boxes
    through it with no problems, but occasionally when I close the action the shell
    in the chamber fires. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. Chris

2. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

Sounds like a broken firing pin. Ron

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the older Winchester Super X-1 shotgun? Ron may be correct. The gun might have a broken firing pin or some foreign object wedged inside the bolt assembly.

Do you know how to disassemble the bolt? If so, do it and check for a broken pin, broken return spring, or foreign object in there.

Another possibility is that the engagement notch on the hammer may be too shallow to hold its engagement with the sear. This could be the result of excessive wear or, more likely, some gunsmithing project gone too far.

In either event, what you are describing is a VERY dangerous situation. Be EXTREMELY careful and don't use the gun until you've got the problem figured out and resolved. If you are not sure of your gunsmithing capabilities, then take the gun to a qualified gunsmith to find out what's wrong.

Easystreet

4. DeerSkip

DeerSkip TS Member

I just checked the firing pin and it isn't broken, there was nothing in the
    action as far as shot or dirt. How would I check the engagement spring for wear
    or problems?

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

DeerSkip, you need to take the gun to a qualified gunsmith and get it checked out. I won't try to offer advice on gunsmithing on such an issue as trigger adjustment and sear engagement. It's just too risky and we never know who may be reading this advice and how they may interpret it. Take it to a gunsmith...... please.

Easystreet

6. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Disassemble and check the firing pin spring... Dan

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I'm with Dan,check the firing pin spring. When the spring breaks it will sometimes screw within it self, letting the firing pin strike. GOOD LUCK

8. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

This is probably not your problem since you have had the bolt out and checked it over but I had a piece break off of the locking bolt and get wedged under the bolt so that it did not let the firing pin retract from the face of the bolt. I was fortunate that I only shot the ground. Missed all the wiring and box for the voice calls. It can be quite a shock when it happens. The locking bolt is a piece that can not be bought. I had to buy a complete bolt to cure the problem. Yes, I had replaced the spring in the stock and had a good bolt buffer. Have no idea why the locking bolt broke. Just a fyi.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

No guessing - see a gunsmith!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.