1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X Primer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

After reading the high opinions on Super X's, I'm attempting to track one down locally to buy and try out. At a shoot today I spoke with a guy who has an acquaitance whom last he heard had a NIB Super X trap sitting at home he's looking to sell. I gave him my number to pass along to the guy with the Super X.

My auto loader experience is limited to my 391 that I've had for the past year, and my 1100 28 gauge I've had for the past few months. So, before I jump into buying, I need a little education on the Super X. I'm aware of the different triggers and ribs and that the buffer will need replaced. What else will need to replaced? Possibly the recoil spring in the stock and the firing pin spring? I've read about stainless or chromed mag tubes to replace the factory one. Why would the factory one needs replaced? The Super X has O ring, same as an 1100, correct? Does it take a special size, or are replacements readily available? I've read a shell catcher is available from TS, though the bolt handle will need to be modified to clear the catcher (and even then it may not work).

Thanks for any advice or help that can be offered.

Michael

2. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Hey Micheal,
    you've chosen one of the finest shotguns ever made. Were do you live? If your close to Kingsport,Tn. I'd let you shoot one to see if you like them. I've a skeet model and a field gun too. I had a trap super x but it had sustained sever water damage so I swapped the 30 in. full vent rib barrel and swapped the trigger group out of the trap into field gun. Both of these guns are excellant and there a real treasure to me. If live close give me a hollar and we'll shoot em. thx, Keith

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Thanks for the offer, but I'm probably a ten hour drive away. ;) If I don't hear back from the guy that may have the NIB gun, I'll start putting the word out at the local clubs that I'm looking for a gun.

Thanks,

Michael

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Even on the new-in-box gun, you should probably change the buffer for a fresh one. I wouldn't touch the recoil spring in the stock until I knew there was a need to do so - it may be just ready to get used. Same with the firing pin spring, try it before deciding whether to replace. The stainless or chromed mag. tubes DO make it easier to ignore cleaning the gun but if you break it down after shooting regularly for basic cleaning, all you have to do is keep the original blue one clean and treated like the rest of the receiver and it will last many, many years. I used to buy O rings at the hardware store just replacing it with one that basically comes real close to the same size as that being replaced. You'll have a life time supply for a couple of dollars. The primo shell catcher is the wire catcher that requires some expert help in drilling holes in the barrel extension that goes into the receiver when the barrel is installed. If you have one done, have 3 or 4 of the wires made to fit because they're real easy to lose if you're not careful. The T&S catcher works just fine even with the altered bolt handle but it will begin to mark the bluing on the receiver and that's why I favor the wire catcher. The one main complaint from this SX-1 fan is that they tend to throw hulls into the next zip code and of all the ones I fiddled with, I could never tame the flying hulls sufficiently, for me, to shoot it at doubles....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. oldcop

oldcop Member

You can still get the T&S Shellcatcher, and Nu Line has a deflector that is held in place by the forend that throws the shells downward...got one the other day, but havent tried it yet.

Jim

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I hear a lot of talk on this site about Super X1's. I've never had the chance to shoot one, but have shoulderd a couple. Am I missing something? I know of where a very clean Trap model is that is unaltered and at most would need the button replaced. The guy wants $650.00 for it and it has a 30" fixed full barrel. Should I be looking at this a little closer?

ec90t

7. rjk2475

rjk2475 TS Member

"Just make sure you don't put the gas ring on backwards." sorry if this is a stupid question but can this be done?

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The deflector mentioned above and still available at Nu-Line works pretty darned well but it will definitely wear on the bluing of the receiver in a couple of doubles events. I've seen some folks put electrical tape on the receiver where it would wear and keep replacing it as needed but it was as good as any attempt I tried to deflect shells but not quite good enough for me on the doubles line....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. oldcop

oldcop Member

I also thought about taping the receiver. I wasn't sure I would ever even use it, but it sounded interesting..thanks, Bob.

Jim

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There is a NIB SX-1 with trap wood, a gold trigger, and a non-engraved reciever on Gunbroker.com at the moment. The last I looked the bid was over 800 and I suspect it will bring 1200. This was one of the very last guns produced serial number 88,500. NIB trap guns will bring 800 plus depending on the wood. Jeff

11. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Still waiting to hear from the guy. For all I know he may have sold the gun months ago (but fingers crossed that he hasn't). Not interested in the gun for doubles, just singles, and more importantly, handicap.

Michael

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob, Jeff,

If I do get serious about this gun, what should I look for? I know that it has a M/C stock and 30" barrel. I've seen where you should replace the buffer on one of these due to age deterioration. How would I tell what trigger is in the gun? Thanks for any help!

ec90t

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob,
    It isn't new in the box. The gun has been shot a little and has the T/S style shell catcher on it. I would rate the gun at 95% or better.

ec90t

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the info. I will let you know what I decide.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.