1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X Model 1 Historical Trivia ....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chuckles, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckles

chuckles Member

Some interesting Trivia on the SX1 from the 1970's...

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

Here is the other half of the ad...

regards

3. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

Hi Sportshot, are you from the Denver area...?

Winchester made:
    78 Super Pigeons, 12-5 pattern w/Gold inlays...
    48 Pigeons, 12-5 pattern, no inlays...
    500 Mississippi Flyway models with Wildlife print...
    900 Ducks Unlimited models...
    All told, some 80000+ Super X1's...

I know of a guy in Texas that owns 5 or 6 SP's and 3 or 4 Pigeon grades, 20 or 30 SX1's in his collection...

I would appreciate knowing of any collectors out there as you described...

Over the years I have collected a lot of Literature on the Super X 1 including all the Winchester catalogs advertising the SX1...

also a lot of the 1 page ads that Winchester placed in various magazines...

I am also willing to share these with anyone interested(I usually make color reproductions) I always charge a modest amount to cover my inital cost to reproduce and mail.

I also have one of the, somewhat rare, original Winchester factory Super X Model 1... 15 page "Takedown and Assembly" manuals that is reproducable and for sale (to cover my cost's).

My addiction is under control now, I am down to 4 SX1's and building 3 new ones from A1 upgraded parts, etc...

If I can be of help re the Super X 1...just let me know.

regards

PS.....an ad for the Mississippi Flyway gun in the early 1980's, from a Sporting Classic's magazine

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

There were two squads of three men each, 1 lefty squad and 1 of right handed shooters. Enjoyable day with a lot of laughs. Some of those names should be familiar to todays shooters. Bob

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The MF ad is very interesting......it actually shows a left handed SX, with the gold on the right side of the receiver.....all SX-1's are right hand guns(as far as I know). I just acquired MF379 a couple of weeks ago...NIB with all the paperwork except the print.

Ken Rucker

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

HI Chuckles..I was told by Bob Baumgart numbers similar to those you quoted for Pigeon and SP grade, but backwards. My understanding is 48 Pigeons (no gold) and 78 or so SP sounds about right. I have a lettered Pigeon grade and am glad to own it.

Cheers and thanks for all of the info and sharing your enthusiasm for this great gun with us. I'm up to five including a NIB GSX XTR trap.

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I figured it was reverse negative, just seems odd to me that Winchester wouldn't have caught it.....I don't know the Texas collector by name, but Bob Baumgart told me once that there is a guy in Houston that methodically bought every high grade Super X the he (Bob) came up with....

Ken

10. chuckles

chuckles Member

Hi Stephen, you're right and I changed the Pigeon numbers, I had them backwards...also Winchester originally intended to do 100 each of the Pigeon -Super Pigeon models but they instead were made to order by the Custom Shop...whereas the MF and the DU were placed in production.

Several Arms manufacturing experts have told me that to duplicate the Super X Model 1 today...it would have to sell for about $3200.00 or more (mostly labor).

regards

11. petey

petey Member

I do have a couple of sx1's. One full trap and one IM trap. Both have very nice wood.

I know a guy that has a SX1 with a gold trigger did they make very many of these?

Pete

12. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i dont know how many they made with gold trigger 4yrs ago i bought one new in box with gold trigger bob said it was best trigger they had i bought gun for 500 and sold a yr later for same what a mistake but i did shoot it very nice shooter had quite a few probs though

13. petey

petey Member

The gun he has is new in box with gold trigger. He said he bought new from Tom's Guns in Marshall WI. So it was not a replacement trigger. Does anyone have any info regarding the so called gold trigger SX1. I have herd of the group 1 and group 3 triggers did they make a group 2?

Pete

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Some of the special run guns, like the Miss.Flyways, came from the factory with a gold trigger. I have two triggers that Bob B. rebuilt for me, converting them from 1's to 3's. They both have gold triggers because he had used all the existing new black ones up.

Ken

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The late model trap and skeet guns often came with the gold triggers. I have a Du and a Mississippi Flyway gun and they both have gold triggers. The colletor you speak of is a friend and the guy who bought my Super Pigeon that was NIB. It was a great gun but after talking to Bubbaw and hearing about the gold inlays falling out of them if they were shot very much I just decided to sell the one I had. Myt favorite SX-1's are the beautiful custom guns that some guys have had built by the experts themself such as Ken Hurst, Angelo Bee, Nick Kismut as well as stock makers like Tom Smith and the like. Baron23's Sx-1 is shaping up to be one of the nicest I have ever seen. Collecting guns is great and a fun hobby but I just really enjoy the one of a kind beautys that guys have put togather. Jeff

16. Baron23

I'm with the guys above...I have seen two very late model NIBs with gold triggers, stage three triggers seemed to come both ways...gold and blued. Also, I believe this is anodizing, I can't imagine real gold plating lasting very long on the triggers (can someone confirm or correct me?).

In anycase, the project gun I am having done (thank for the recognition and compliments, Jeff) has a gold trigger and I have told Ernest to polish it off and deep blue it to match the gun...more elegant in my opinion. I don't object to gold on guns like some of the more traditional double guns guys, but it must be done well and with restraint.

I also agree with Jeff (who is spot on with most things he comments on) that doing the project gun is far more satisfying to me than just buying the Pigeon that I own. Don't get me wrong, the Pigeon is not for sale, but there are many more dimensions to doing a project than a purchase. Plus, if you do it right, its really not hard to beat the looks of the factory engraved guns. Of course, there is plenty of opportunity for me to still yet screw this project up and regret it....but here's hoping and thanks to the guidance of guys like Ken Hurst.

Cheers

Stephen

17. petey

petey Member

Thanks for the info guys the SX1 is one of my favoite autoloaders.

pete

18. Baron23

Gold inlays, if done at all RIGHT, should NEVER fall out.

Never, ever, ever.

19. chuckles

chuckles Member

Looking for Austin Carter...Pocatello, Idaho

Austin please email me...thanks

Chuck

20. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Enjoyed the blast from the past and yes, I recognize Pete McCall as on of the best Leftie's to ever shoot a trap target. Actually have had the pleasure of shooting next to him in a shootoff.

98.47% 16 yard shooting in a mega-marathon over 30 years ago ain't too shabby.

Eddie Quire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
super x model 1 history

winchester super x model 1 history

winchester super x model 1 mississippi flyway