1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super-X Jeff have a question 4 u

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My friend has a Super-X and it is mis-firing, has new hammer spring, firing pin, Still mis-fires, using all new shells different brands, same results. Serial number is 22,*** His friend has a Super-X ser# 55,*** and he tried swapping trigger assy's but the action would not work, he thinks they have changed someting. He is bringing it over as I write this and I am going to have a look at it, First thing I am going to do is check the firing pin hole for dirt in the bore of the bolt. Then I am going to see how far the firing pin is coming out of the bolt. Then I am going to check the hammer spring tension, it always ejects the shells and he can hear the hammer fall when it does not fire, do you know of anything else to look for, he has cleaned and cleaned, and oiled and no oil,I will also check the mag tube for any carbon Etc. On 50 rounds of Sporting Clays he will get 8-10 mis-fires.

He should be here at 11:30 am that is an hour from now.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Check for broken firing pin spring.Spring breakes and winds into its self
    becoming to short.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What ntgr8 said is what i would tell you. The other thing would be shells that have been loaded on a PW that have dished heads. if it's the PW thing they will fire in some guns and not in others. Jeff

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Gary, you might also inquire from Stu Wright; www.wrightsgunsmiths.com.

After Bob Baumgart died, Stu and his gang are about the best source for secrets on the SX-1.....Bob Dodd

5. sharkie

sharkie TS Member

Wrights is 1 and if i remember right it was a Fisher in Flordia that use to work on X1's also that were top .

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

sharkie is close, his name is Steve Fischer. Gunsmith in Florida, and a SX-1 expert. He will answer questions at the above web site, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Wayne

7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

with all due respect to the gunsmiths already mentioned, I personally have used Ernest Marlette for all my SX-1 since Bob's death. Ernest is reknown for his perfectionism and he works primarily on SX-1 and K-80s.

Ernest Marlette
    1410 Irving Street
    Winston-Salem, NC 27103
    M (336) 456-1818
    B (336) 761-0433

Lastly, it does not surprise me that you swapped trigger groups and the gun didn't cycle right, there are more experienced SX-1 guys on this board than I, but my experience is that parts are often not swappable without a little fitting. I also have barrels that work in one gun but are tight on the bolt in another.

Cheers

8. isuremissalot

isuremissalot TS Member

I had the same problem with mine. I finally took the trigger group completely apart, I found all kinds of little pieces of what use to be the bolt buffer in mine. I haven't shot it alot since but it hasn't missed a beat since.

Randy

9. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Is the bolt closing all the way?

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I worked on it and it worked flawlessly today on the sporting course, I noticed on his new shells prime was dented enough, felt the firing pin spring, boy it was strong he cut off 4 spirals, we shot the gon off my backporch, I had a little deeper dents in primer, I cut off 6 more spirals, and it was softer, and the dnts got deeper, results no mis-fires. The gun sat in the gun cabinent for 30 years, w/hammer cocked, the hammmer springs, one inside the other are weak, needs a set of new springs, dual springs.

It worked today so he said I will wait until it mis-fires again and then order new hammer springs.

Does anyone know of one w/montecarlo stock for sale?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Randy, DON'T SHOOT YOUR SX-1 UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE BOLT BUFFER!
    The buffer protects the locking block (it sits on top of the bolt). Besides slamming the bolt body into the rear of the receiver and causing damage, you may break off one or both of the flanges on the rear of the locking block, which besides being VERY expensive to replace, will cause the gun to malfunction.

The tip to cut about 5 or 6 coils off the firing pins return spring is a good one, as they are too heavy to start with. Also, be sure the barrel is fully seated in the reciever and the back of the rib sits right up against the edge of the front of the receiver. That too, will cause intermittent mis-fires.

Steve Fischer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.