1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SUPER X-1modified to 3" chamber

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SD duck, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

Some outfit in MN is said to have converted SX1's to 3". Does anyone have any experience (or hearsay) with the success/failure of this conversion.

I have a 26" IC barrel 2 3/4" with an added 3" chamber mark.
    Only one small gas vent hole. Is this odd? My 30" has 2 vent holes

Thanks to any and all replies.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

The one gas vent would seem to make sense since the 3" loads would generate more gas/pressure and the typical gas venting in 2 3/4" barrels would cause excessive bolt slam.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

It's not common but the late Bob baumgart converted a few as well as Nu-Line guns in Missiuri. They were never a really hot deal. I have friends who use them and have had OK luck but never god luck with them. The barrel must be used on a modified reciever. If you bought the barrel to shoot sporting clays or something you can remove the blockage in the other port and the gun will function fine.Jeff

4. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

Jeff hit it right on, the barrel must be used with a receiver that has had the breech port lengthened forward. I have one of the nuline guns and I'm very happy with it. Works well with 3" and heavy 2 3/4" shells. I also shoot the occasional round of trap with it. The action doesn't cycle with trap loads so you don't need a shell catcher

5. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

It cycles 1 1/8 oz fine but not 1 oz, the other barrel will cycle both. The gun has a new recoil spring and buffer. The reciever is unmodified so its a nogo for a 3" then?

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

That is correct. Jeff

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

You might call NU-Line and ask them what to look for to determine what a converted gun looks like. I guess I do not undestand if you bought the gun and the barrel togather. It has been so long since I have seen one I can't remember what was modified to do the conversion besides the obvious re-chamber and plugging the gas port.A friend of mine who has one of the best hunt clubs in the rea that I live in had a bunch of them converted over the years and they just were never reliable over the long run. They shot 3,000 ducks a year so the guns were given a honest try. I would just buy Heavy shot 1 1/4 Oz of #2 shot in 2 3/4 as it will kill further then any 3 inch steel will. Jeff

8. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

Thank you fellows. I think I'll just use it as is. If it should 1 day get fed a 3", it'll just jam and not be a big deal. I can see where the reciever has not been altered but could be quite easily.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

SUPER X-1modified to 3

Pat Laib converted one for me and it worked fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.