1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have 2 Super X-1 trap guns. One gun is an older model with the "screw" in front of the front bead. The other is one of the last models built. (Serial #M883XX) This later model has no scrolling and has a Full choke barrel. They both have Monte Carlo stocks but the newer one is a little lower than the older one. My question is; would I hurt the value of the newer model if I had Briley install the thin wall choke system? I then could use the gun for sporting clays, skeet, etc. The older model I would save just for trap. Any comments on this? I hate to screw up a collector type gun; but then again this will allow me to use it more. Ed

2. TC

TC TS Member

Modified in any way will lower the value. You will never recover the cost of any modification. Look for a modified barrel which will cost less than an original. Tony

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

ED, Corsons barrels has four vent rib barrels on there website . Jeff

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Ed ,

Some SX-1 in that late 88xxx series were put together with a gold-toned trigger -- could that be the case with yours ? If so , you might want to keep it as "clean" as you can -- or just enjoy the sucker .

At one time Briley would put CTs in early barrels --- has that changed ? You might even check with Mike Orlen who did that to an early SX-1 barrel for me -- quickly , inexpensively and effectively . However , of late , some folk like Seminole -as I understand but can't confirm -- no longer take the risk because some SX-1 barrels are quite thin and troublesome --- and a bit like Gump's chocolates .

If you put out a WTB , right here , you might get a few responces --- won't hurt to ask .

Charlie

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

But Briley thin walls in it and shoot it. The gun is meant to be shot and the thin walls will make it far more versitile. Anytime a Briley chocked barrel winds up on E-bay they bring 300 bucks. You can buy a new trap barrel any time you want if you desired to make it original again. I shoot trap stocks for everything so I shoot pretty much th exact gun you describe.Jeff

6. esoxhunter

You people have talked me into looking for another barrel. I will try Corson's Barrels. They seem to have a couple of barrels that might be of interest. I would like a 28" modified or I/C barrel. Thanks Ed

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Glad to hear that, there are lots of screwed up SX barrels out there, with chokes already installed.

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I guess I'm kind of lucky. I have a SX-1 with 3 barrels. Trap full, Trap IM and a former 30" trap full that is now 26" and cylinder. The short barrel smokes skeet targets and looks like a professional job. I bought them all that way. You will find what you want, you just have to be patient and keep looking. Bill Malcolm

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to do with this gun/barrel. I have a 28" mod that I had thin walls put in and I am very, very, very happy with it as a Sporting Clays gun. Shoots great and Briley has no problems putting thin walls in them.

If you want to shoot full choke trap, of course keep it as is. I mostly shoot skeet and love the patterning of the 26" skeet barrels.

I agree with Jeff, these guns are to be used and you should make it as usable as you want for your needs. I don't worry about resale value on these barrels, I'm not going to sell them.

Cheers

10. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I wouldn't put tubes in a Model 12 or SX.

Find some poor sucker that has already de-valued one of these excellent guns and trade off one that you aren't shooting for one with tubes.

You should get enough cash to boot to pay for a clinic.

Yes sirreee. That's what I would do.

Dan :)

11. esoxhunter

Hey Dan: I will give you one of my SX-1's for your "bent barrel" 31TC and might even throw in a bag of shot on the deal. ED

12. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

13. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Ed , I think you can do better than the $300 that Corson's is asking .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.