1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnpe, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnpe

johnpe Member

Several past threads have referenced Stage 1, 2 and 3 triggers for the Super X-1. I have more than a couple of these shotguns and am having some problems with one of them. How do you tell which stage of trigger is in each shotgun? Why were the various stages created? Are pieces like hammers, sears, etc. interchangeable between stages? Are parts that you get from places like Nu-Line the last variation and how do you know? The shotgun I'm having trouble with is a Trap model. Occasionally, like maybe 1% of the time, it shoots when the button is pushed to close the bolt. One percent is one percent too much and it needs to be fixed. The trigger pull is as I bought the gun and is nice and crisp at 2 pounds 9 ounces. It is the gun with the highest SN at 83XXX. Any suggestions in addition to the questions will be appreciated.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm sure the "pro's" will be along soon. Stage 1, grooved face of trigger, internal sear adjustment screw. Stage 3, smooth face of trigger, no adjustment screw. supposedly sturdier, although many discount it. No real stage 2 that I'm aware of. $83xxx I'd think would be a stage 3. Of course it's also possible someone replace the trigger...

Jim

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

Big M. Thanks. This is a good start in uncovering what's what with these triggers. From your description, it would seem that parts would be interchangeable. I hope that is correct. By any chance, are you aware of any SN splits that define when which type trigger was used? Thanks again.

Johnpe

4. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The late Bob Baumgart told me he always set the pull weight on an SX-1 to 4.5 pounds. Light pull weights like yours can fire on closing since the bolt is very heavy and develops a lot of inertia as it slams home.

Ken Rucker

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As Ruck said Bob would set them heavier to prevent just that. I didn't think of that... might check the springs to see if they've been cut... you can try replacement Wolf springs or some from Wrights. That should fix your problem...

6. Shooterpoke

Shooterpoke TS Member

John,

If your gun is a stage 1 gun(grooves in the trigger) you may need to adjust the trigger slack. Remove the trigger assembly from the gun and locate a small set screw under the hammer. Lift it up to access the set screw, use a small allen wrench to adjust it inward just a bit.

In my experience, it is generally thought to be a stage 1 gun if under 45K serial number if all original. Stage 3 guns started around 65K thru final production of about 88K. Hope this will help.

Shooter

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

Thanks a bunch to all of you that responded!! You've given me considerable insight into these triggers and what might be wrong. One of the great stengths of this forum is the great resource of knowledge that many of you have and are willing to share.

Johnpe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.