1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X 1 "slam fire"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DiggerL, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiggerL

DiggerL Member

Need some help from you SX1 guys there. Yesterday I shot a round of SC here in PA and had a "slam fire" experinece. On a true pair, I took the first shot and "bang/bang". Second shot went as if on full auto. I just looked at the gun with my mouth open... first time I ever had this happen.

Gun is a stage 3 field gun with good buffer and relatively fresh recoil spring from Wrights. Had the trigger tuned by the late Bob Baumgart several years ago and gun has been trouble free until now. This is my regular SC with probably 30K rounds through it. I disassembled today for a good cleaning and inspection and could find no broken or excessively worn parts in trigger assembly or bolt. Everything looked OK (although I really don't know what to look for...).

Any recommendations or easy fixes? Also any recommendations for SX1 smith. I've read good things about Ernest Marlette in NC for SX1 work.

Thanks,

Dave
    Palmyra, PA

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Super X 1

Steve Fischer Gun-smithing, Miami FL. Steve might see this he is on here once in a while.

I've never heard of a Super X-1 doing that, It has a disconnecter and a disconnecter lever on the trigger??

Wayne

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Super X 1

2 reasons it could discharge unwanted, firing pin protruding from bolt face, or sear dropping hammer from vibration of bolt closing. Since someone was playing with trigger, I would look into sear engagement first.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Super X 1

I don't know about the SX-1 but it happens to me with my Beretta 391. If the
    gun isn't solidly mounted the recoil can cause the gun to jump a little. resulting in a rapid release-pull of the trigger.

If it never happened before it may just be a one time occurence. If your trigger pull is very light, or you had all the creep taken out of it, that may be part of the problem. I'd wait and see if it happens again. You may just
    have to be more careful on your mount, especially on fast targets and short
    windows.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Send it to Stu Wright. He will do the job for you. Ed

6. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

Super X 1

clean the gun and look for worn out part if so give it to gun smith i have had this happen to me

7. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Super X 1

Send it to Wrights!!! Is there an echo in here??? Had the same thing happen on my X1 a few months ago. Sent it off to Stu, he fixed it and tuned the trigger to just over 3.5 pound pull and took out some creep. Trigger is awesome, no more issues. It will really wake you up when that thing fan fires, ouch!!!

8. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Another high five for Wright's, they did my trigger on SX1 and it excellent!!! and for $75.00 great tigger job and peace of mind it won't happen to you again

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Bob B. did excellent work. Check for a firing pin sticking forward in the bolt.

or, send it to S. Wright,or S. Fischer..

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Had a couple slamfires one day when I closed the bolt while chambering a round. Called Wrights and they said it was a sear issue. Sent it to them and they fixed it.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Super X 1

I would bet the equity in my house that the issue will not have anything to do with anything that the late Bob baumgart did to it. Bob tuned 30 triggers for me over the years.Never had any of them do this.Jeff

12. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

Super X 1

Digger,

The fireing pin has a large diameter area toward the rear of the pin. This diameter fits in a corresponding diameter in the bolt. If these diameters( OD of the pin & ID in the bolt) get crudded up (or a tad rusty),it will not allow the fireing pin retraction spring to retract the fireing pin back inside of the bolt and a slam fire could happen. If there is anything wrong in the trigger group,send it to one of the gunsmiths that specialize in SX-1 guns.
    If it slam fires when cycleing,it can slam fire when closing. For safety,you should get it straightened out before you use the gun again.

Good luck,

Patrick Swartz

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Bob had quite a cult following but he made his share of mistakes. His rep in Virginia was evidently not what it is where you live. Ask one of my friends about the job he did pinning a rib for him...The original "bumper" gun he nickeled (or chromed) for me would not fire when I got it. Sent it back and he had to replace the trigger assembly with one from a personal gun of his. I could go on...

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Super X 1

I would clean the hammer notch and sear with an alcohol swab inorder to get rid of any excess lube that might have contaminated those surfaces. Keep lubricant away from those surfaces and see if that fixes the problem. HMB

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Now all we need is the Wright, Fischer and Marlette dissatisfied to chime in.

Generally a bad sear will allow the hammer to follow the bolt , not allowing the hammer to cock.

16. yjwinchester

yjwinchester TS Member

Super X 1

Had the same experience & it was the new springs ....put the old springs back in & no problems ....put new one back in & double fire!!! ??????? & it would also fire when closing action!

17. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Super X 1

I have had the same thing happen to me, except it was when I closed the bolt during a sporting clays shoot. My problem was a broken firing pin spring. It had broke into several peices and jamed the firing pin up. I replaced the spring and never had a problem again.

William

18. johnpe

johnpe Member

Super X 1

This happened to me once while shooting trap a few years ago. My problem was caused by the primer from the previous shell falling out into the action. When I closed the bolt for the next round, it fired from the open bolt position. The bolt had picked up the spent primer and jammed it against the live primer of the new shell. I was shooting last time through reloads. The gun was not damaged in the least, but the event surely was scary. I found the hull with the missing primer and found the shell that fired. It had a very defined half moon shaped indention in the primer. What are the chances of this happening again? I'd say it would be practically nil.

Johnpe

19. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Best semi-automatic (full auto) shotgun ever made. Or so some say.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Super X 1

Yes BIGM thats what I was waiting on LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.