1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Rebuild kit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I rebuilt my son's Super X-1.

It was throwing hulls out of it 12 ft plus.

I figured out how to take it apart, and it was simple, as soon as I really looked at it while taking it apart.

That long spring in the stock confused me then I figured it out and got it in place.

The mag tube had me scratching my head but got it removed with a slight bit of heat.

That gun is so soft shooting now. The 6 inch difference on the old spring compared to the new spring.

The bolt buffer was so hard it was a wonder it did not crack the receiver.

It throws hulls out of it at about 2 foot from the gun after the spring install.

My kid has a trap gun that I want. Talk about a soft shooter....

Man, Winchester went all out on this gun, and it is the most user friendly gun that I have ever met.

Kenny U

2. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Kenny, I've got a couple of SX-1's and they are my favorite shotgun by far. Bought one of them brand new back in 1975.

I've never heard of one shucking out hulls only 2 feet unless somebody took out the o-ring seal on purpose or just left it out for some reason. It is considered normal for a good running SX-1 to eject hulls out about 8 to 10 feet; with new return springs too. Not saying there's anything wrong with yours; its just I've never heard of one throwing them out so close by as your son's now.

I surely hope your son knows how lucky he is to have that SX-1.

Harry D.

3. shaggist

shaggist Member

I hope that the first upgrade you did was to replace the recoil buffer at the back of the receiver. You said it was hard. The original buffers become brittle over time and will shatter into tiny pieces, which will jam your gun and cause malfunctions. The replacements are made from a synthetic material, which will last a long time and give you no problems. The stock bolt is a 15mm. Just take off the stock after disassembling the trigger group and removing the bolt, and push the old buffer out from the stock side. Insert the new buffer from the bolt side, lubed with a bit of Vasoline, and whack it with your 15mm socket and an extension. Now, you are good to go.

By using a recoil spring that is shorter than stock, you are allowing the recoil forces to slam the bolt against the back of the receiver much harder than anticipated by the factory, and it will cause you problems down the line-most likely a cracked receiver back. Put the proper recoil spring back in, replace the buffer, and get a shell defector, which will aim the ejected shell downwards and to the front. Super X-1 have always thrown the empty into the next county. It's just what they do. The deflector will keep it under control, so you don't anger your squad mates.
    Jack

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I might have estimated the 2 ft ejection, it is probably closer to six foot. I was just happy to see the shells rolling off the porch steps, instead of them landing near the apple tree in the middle of the yard. At least his shell deflector has a chance now.

The new spring was about 6 inches longer than the used forever one. I just snaked it in with two small flat bladed screw drivers along the slot in the side of the tube.

Kenny U.

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Jon ,his son has 2 SX-1's and 3-4 barrels and 3 or 4 stocka and Gramps hasn't any now. Best part he is starting to really center the bird. Black smoke etc I showed him how not to do it chips etc. His Dad is shooting better than I, a lot better and the kid is pushing me hard. We just shoot practice but still a lot of fun. Ken U

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Kenny, when you replaced the spring, did you clean out the tube? Usually, there is tons of gunk in there that isn't good.

WNCRob

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here is a little tip, next time you need to change the return spring, through the slot on the return spring tube, drill an 1/8" hole. Then you can use an awl or a pick to hold the tension of the spring when you take it in or out. It's especially helpful for holding the spring when you are taking the roll pin in or out of the spring follower.

Wayne

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I use Wrights magnum spring and the empties do fall right at your feet. This slows down the bolt speed and does less harm to your entire action. On the other hand, I have actions with 200,000 rounds that show no signs of cracking and I have never seen a cracked sx-1 action. I am not saying that it CAN"T happen.. Just that I have never seen or heard of it happening to anybody. Jeff

9. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Thanks for all the replies.

The gun is shooting well and I would estimate that it is ejecting shells at around three foot at the most.

It was a wrights kit that I installed.

Winchester built a gun that can be tore down and put back together rather easy.

I would not attempt getting into the trigger assembly on it but why would I even want to do that.

Kenny U

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester super x rebuild kit