1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X 1 questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by woodie, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodie

woodie TS Member

I know, I should have paid attention on Super X1 day. Not looking but found a Super X, 30 inch barrel, full choke, monte carlo stock, serial number 88,xxx. Were they marked trap? Is a regular vent rib more desireable than a pinned one? Do you need a stage 3 trigger or stainless mag tube? Do most shops carry new buffers and can you change it out yourself? So so wood, a couple of dings, blueing not worn, small rust spot on the end of the barrel, asking $ 500. Is that in the ball park? Thanks in advance.

2. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Woodie,
    They were not marked Trap, The barrels are marked with either "Full Trap Choke" or Improved Mod Trap Choke..The barrels which were later did not have the pin at the end, which are more desireable, The 3rd stage triggers are more consistant on trigger pulls and are upgraded from the 1st stage ones, Later guns came with a chrome plated magazine tube, The replacement stainless steel magazine tubes are the best, The original blued tubes if not kept clean after every shoot will pitt and rust unlike the stainless, Wrights and Nu Line guns carry bolt buffers, the original buffers were not as durable as the new ones now sold, check yours too see that it is not shattered or gone! Its easy too replace in a matter of about 15 mins, $500 isnt too bad on the price Richie

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I own 2 trap grade guns. Ditto what Richie said. I replaced all that stuff myself, except Nuline did my trigger conversions to stage 3. The magazine tube may have to be heated to get it out. $500 is a fair price as you descibed the gun.

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

E-mail me at bogieone@hughes.net and give me you name and address, I will mail you a Winchester takedown and assembly instruction book for the Super-X.

I use Nu-Line's stainless steel magazine tube and their corrosion resistant gas assembly. Has been perfect for over 20 years. My best barrel's have no screw and are more desirable ( nothing to loosen ). Buffer is easy to change yourself. I have had more problems with the firing pin spring than any other part, I would replace it now and every two or three years.

Tom Strunk

5. ster7390

ster7390 TS Member

Tom I just purchased a Supere X 1 this weekend but they had no instruction book on how to take apart and clean. Would you happen to have an extra one that I could get or purchase from you. Sterling. Thanks

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

woodie, what they said, and this one should have the late trigger----and quite possibly the stainless or chromed tube. If it is the barrel that came on the gun, it has no issues.

I would also have bought it on the spot.

7. Tom Strunk

Sterling - Yes I can send you one, please e-mail me with your name and address.

Years ago I was given one of these books and had about 10 copies made to give out as mine was given to me. All I ask is for you to return the favor given to you by having these books copied and give them out to others. Deal?

Tom Strunk

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I believe its reproduced on the web. I'll check when I get home.

jim

9. Tom Strunk

Super-X takedown and assembly books are being mailed today to Dave Thomas and Sterling Hammond.

The is the last of my books, but I have saved one copy for myself. Hopefully these men will make copies and pass them out to other needy shooters of the Winchester Super-X.

Tom Strunk

10. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

Tom- I have emailed you the information you have requested for obtaining a SuperX manual. I will have Kinko's make 10 copies so that I can pass on the favor. I appreciate your kindness in offering this invaluable information.

Skip Mears

11. woodie

woodie TS Member

I went back for a second look today. The rib is not pinned. Pulled the forearm and mag tube looks chromed. I asked the guy behind the counter about the gun and he told me it was a Super X skeet gun. I said with a monte carlo stock, 30 inch full choke barrel that it would be a strange gun. He replied that they contacted Winchester and with that serial number it was a skeet gun, go figure. Thanks for all the replies and great help!

12. woodie

woodie TS Member

One more question. Shell catcher. Other than a limited edition rubber band are there shell catchers out there for this gun?

13. Tom Strunk

Yes Woodie there is one. You will find in the Shotgun Sports magazine in the back of the magazine under "shootin accessories ltd" it's called a "save-it shell catcher" cost is $14.95. I have tried it and didn't like it.

It's almost impossible to find a T&S shell catcher as the Super-X had two different runs of receivers with different thickness. T&S hasn't made one for years because of this. They work great on Remington 1100's and OK on Beretta 303, 390, & 391's.

I have had my barrel drilled 25 years ago for the piano wire which is used as a shell catcher. It works OK but is not fool proof. Mine was done by Fred Borders @ Bolsa Gunsmithing in SoCal.

From Nu-line you can also buy a shell deflector which throws the hull's about 5 feet to your right, it just won't save them.

Woodie-- buy the gun.

Tom Strunk

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Tom , T&S made a run of shell catchers last year for the SX-1. If you want one you can buy one on the web site. Jeff

15. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

He who hesitates is lost------buy the gun or don't whine later when it is gone.

If that guy has a number of someone at Winchester that can tell what the gun is supposed to be, I would like that number.

16. Tom Strunk

A dozen or so years ago I played FBI and tracked down the owners of T & S shell catchers. I was told then of the problem of making shell catchers for the Super-X, as I stated on an earlier thread.

Jeff, I took your advise and found T&S Industries web site and the exact words were " service unavailable " I think I would not count on them as a source for a shell catcher for any Super-X.

Tom Strunk

17. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I just puchased a T&S shell catcher from Stu Wright. They have several left in stock. However, they are $30 apiece! A lot of money for a piece of metal. If you get one you will still have to grind some stock off the bolt handle; as it will hit the catcher if it's not ground off. Ed

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As far as Win knowing if a gun shipped as "skeet" vs "trap"...I wouldn't count on it. Their records on SX-1's were spotty at best.

With that serial number, I would guess that the receiver does not have the rolled engraving on the sides. This was a sign of a target grade gun but the last ones to ship used field receivers, identical in all respects except for the roll engraving. Frankly, I have them both ways and the roll engraving isn't all of that, the ones (two very late serial number guns) without it actually look better to me.

With that serial number, I would expect the barrel to not have the screwed on rib.

Take you basic gun, put on trap barrel and either straight or MC stock set and its a trap gun. Put on a 26" skeet barrel and a skeet set and its a skeet gun. Or do like me, have multiple barrels, change all of your SX-1s to MC stocks because they fit, and put on the barrel for rhe discipline you are shooting. I personally like my 28" with Briley thin walls for SC.

Buy the gun, you will not regret it.

19. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Pretty sure T&S was being swamped with so many requests for a shell catcher, they tooled back up to make a run of them. But the owner told me he wouldn't be making any more investment cast bolt handles for them, unless someone was willing to make a huge order.

20. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

woodie ,

I think I have a T&S SX-1 shell catcher that I bought from a "new run" about 2 years back . If you want to buy it for what I have in it , please e-mail me , e-dress is good .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.