1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm looking at a Super X-1. I've never owned one, but always wanted to. The one that I've found seems to be pretty much original. The barrel hasn't been modified and is marked "Trap Full Choke". I measured it in at .038 restriction (.736 bore .698 choke). It wears a M/C stock. The trigger has verticle serations in it. The serial# is: M15205. Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW, I would call the gun between 90-95%. Nothing major, just honest wear.

ec90t

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

So...what are your questions?

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Baron23,

I was just providing some background info so those in the know could tell me as to what trigger it has (stage 1 or 3), If the bore/choke relationship sounds correct, The serial # denotes age or any specifics.

I would also like to know things to look for.

ec90t

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It would be an early model with stage one trigger. You will probably need a new buffer plus you need to look at the gas system. They often had to be replaced with stainless parts. Then there is the trigger update. You could easily spend several hundred dollars bringing this gun up to what most shooters would like to depend upon. I have six of these and I would probably let this one pass unless I needed a parts gun. JMHO. Ron Renouf

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Depends on price, clean and oil the trigger and don't try to adjust it----if the sharp face of the trigger cuts into you, just take a die grinder/dremel tool and bevel/polish it til it doesn't. You only need to worry about the mag tube if it hasn't been cared for and allowed to rust/pit. If it has, and hasn't been turned around, turn it around and go another 50K rounds as long as you keep the water chased off of it and the piston inbetween outings. Put it up and forget about it, it will rust.

Yes, you most likely need a buffer, and that constriction/bore is customary. It may need springs but those are cheap.

If it's cheap enough, go for it.

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

All the above info is pretty much right on....

I will add that the serial number indicates early production maybe 1975 or 76...
    Trap Full Choke indicates original barrel not an aftermarket...

If the receiver is the engraved style then the gun was mfg and sold as a Trap gun (most likely) if not then it is a mish mash of parts brought together, from your info MC stock, Trap Barrel indicate a Trap gun...

Generally you would look for condition ie Bluing, Grade and quality of wood, Jeweling on Bolt and Carrier, Beads....

A top notch high quality Super X1 Trap with great wood is going to be around $750 to $1000.00 ....

A so so SX1 with average wood and condition should be from $450 to $600...

Jaquas has a very nice but not checkered SX1 Trap for $595.00...

IMO the SX1 does not need a Stage 3 trigger, Stainless mag tube, Gas System and Return spring tube to be a great Super X1, those are all aftermarket upgrades and good ones but not essential...

I hope the info helps, I will post some info from another thread a couple of weeks ago, check it out....

regards

7. Baron23

I certainly agree...I have five of these guns, one of my two regular shooters has stage 1 trigger and it works juuuuuust fine.

I did put SS mag tube and chrome pistons, rings, etc in my shooters...but I'm lazy about cleaning after every damp outing and had the money to do it at the time. Look at the gun, pull of the fore end and if the stuff in there isn't corroded to hell, go for it. When they finally do corrode (if you even shoot it that much) then replace with upgraded parts.

I would not shy away from this gun if I wanted a trap gun and the price was decent. I love my SX-1s...can't explain it, just do.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for the info guy's!

I've got the gun in my possession and will see how it shoots tomorrow evening.

The trigger on this SX1 is very crisp with no overtravel or slack. The tube and related componets show no signs of corrosion. They were a little dirty but cleaned right up.

How do you check the bolt buffer?

I've owned quite a few semi's over the years, but this is my first SX1. Please bare with me if my questions seem a little elementary.

ec90t

9. Baron23

To check the bolt buffer, you must remove the bolt. To do this, remove the barrel....take of the fore end, slide off the gas assembly (o-rings, ring, piston...if you don't know how to get all of this back together correctly, get someone who knows the gun to show you...its very easy), then pull back the bolt, release it once and the barrel will move forward slightly. Pull back the bolt and the barrel should pull easily out of the receiver.

Now, remove the trigger assembly pin and pull up on the back end of the trigger guard and the whole trigger assembly will come out with the shell carrier attached.

Turn the receiver upside down....looking into the bottom of the receiver. You will see the bolt link...long sort of steel rod that is comes off of the bolt...the rear end of the link will sit in what looks like a little metal socket...this is the front of the follower. With a screw driver or other implement, push the follower toward the rear of the receiver while pulling up on the back end of the link...the follower is spring loaded, by pushing it back you can get the end of the link out of the follower's cup. Once out, pull the link upward and the bolt will slide out of the bottom of the receiver (just slide it the receiver back and forth a bit and you will see where it lines up with small cut outs in the receiver that let it be removed).

Now, look at the upper rear part of the inside of the receiver...there should be a nub of black material...looks like black nylon or black hard rubber. If it is signficantly flattened, cracked, looks dried up and brittle, replace it.

The original ones were some sort of hard rubber and they degraded over time...you can buy new ones of more modern hard neoprene type material that will last a very long time.

If I bought a used SX-1 (or an NIB for that matter), I don't care what anybody told me, I would probably replace the buffer.

DO NOT SHOOT the gun until you determine if there is a buffer there or if it is servicable if there even is one. You can damage the receiver.

To put a new buffer in, remove the stock. The buffer has a nipple that goes through the back side of the receiver. Just push it out toward the front with a punch. A little gun grease or oil (or vasoline for that matter) on the nipple of the new one will make it easier to get in. Put the receiver in a vertical position with the front side facing up. The buffer has a half moon cut out that fits around the hole for the follower...its obvious how it goes in. Any 1/2 dowel type material will do as a punch to push the nipple through its hole and seat the new buffer.

Ton, or any of you other guys who are more expert at this than I...please correct me if I have led this gent astray anywhere.

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

10. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

Just 1 more item, warn the person to your right, they really chuck the empties.
    Notime2

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Stephen, all you really need to do (as I would) is just pop the trigger out, use a good light and small screwdriver or pick, then reach up and see if the buffer is pliable. If it's not soft enough that you can move the material itself around, then I wouldn't use it til I got a new style buffer in.

Even if new, an original Winchester hard plastic buffer can and will disintegrate and flakes end up at the hammer/sear, not a good scenario.

Now, for a newb it would be better to pull the bolt and slip off the barrel to drive the new one home, and most likely (unless a new style) the stock needs to be removed to get the tab out that holds it in. A new pliable new style, you can most likely pry it out of the back and the tab come with it.

At any rate, it is very easy to do. Wrights has the best buffers IMO.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks Baron23,

It looks like disassembly is a straight forward deal. I was a little leary of taking the trigger assembly out after a run in with a BPS.

Where do I get a new buffer from if a new one is needed?

Notime2,

It came with a T&S catcher and a different bolt handle.

Again, thanks guys for putting up with a SX1 newbie!

ec90t

13. Baron23

ec90T - Listen to Texas Ton...he knows these guns...I think Wright's is just a little bit pricey for a buffer and o-ring ($20) but this is still a small amount and they will last you a long time...and its a lot cheaper than damaging your receiver or gumming up the works with a disinegrating buffer.

http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/Parts%20&%20Gun%20Sales.htm

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks again Baron23! If I would have read Texas Ton's post a little more carefully, I would have seen where he said "Wrights".

ec90t

15. Baron23

ec90t - get the buffer from Wrights...for o-rings, these are standard -021 (15/16") o-rings in Buna-N or Viton material. A quick search on the net, and you can get these for about .14 each/hundred lot to include shipping. Last you and every other SX-1 shooter in your region for a life time.

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well, I checked the buffer and it is a nice and pliable. It is black in color and shows no signs of degridation.

Thanks for the heads-up on the O rings. The one on the gun is in good shape, but I will always need a new one at some time!

ec90t

17. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Question - Wrights ??? I gave my Super X1 to my repairman in early Nov. I needed a new pad. I called in late Nov and he told me that I also needed a buffer. He'll order one for me. Called today and he told me that he can't find a buffer and told me that Winchester no longer makes the buffers. Tried Brownell's website and they also say that Winchester no longer makes the buffers for the SX 1.

So who's Wright's?? How do I contact them?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

tonygrz

18. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

You don't want a Winchester buffer, those that Brownells sold recently were Stu Wrights (I think). Click on the link above, scroll down to the buffers, they last me from 48-51K rounds.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I believe Nu-line also has the aftermarket buffers.

20. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for the great info. Will order one Monday and then give it to my gunsmith. I really need to start working on my own guns. Will save a lot of time and money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.