1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I would like to know what a 28" VR Mod barrel is worth for a SX-1. I don't know if it is a screw model or one of the newer ones. The barrel is in good shape.

I would also like to know if there are any parallel combed stockes out ther for a SX-1.

Thanks,
    ec90t

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks!

ec90t

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The straight trap are the same thing Eric. The 28 mod will bring 250 all day long screw or not as they are hard to come bu without buying a whole gun. Jeff

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

""""""" The straight trap are the same thing """""""""

Same thing as what?? A M/C or parallel? You're kidding, right?

Though wood for them went thru several revisions over the years, the Straight Trap never/ever was parallel. As a rule it had 1 3/8" DAC and 1 7/8" DAH, or 1/2" drop. It was also (as a rule) 1/8" higher front to rear than a skeet stock, though many Straight traps ended up on skeet guns and are found on NIB guns today. Not that it matters, they just aren't parallel.

Most M/C's run from 1 1/4 to 1 5/16", but are parallel and as far as I know the only parallel ever made for them. MGW (Midwest) still has some.

I guess I have to disagree with the 28" Mod barrel too, there had to be more of them made than anything else. The last mod I saw on Ebay sold for under $100, the only one I ever saw bring near $200 was a NIB barrel, late model.

Now, an IC or 28" Full, those are rare. An IC will bring good money.

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

From a 1980 catalog....

regards

6. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

The late Bob Baumgart had me reshape a few SX-1 MC trap stocks to make them true parallel comb stocks over the years. I can also do adjustable combs on them that will adjust to be parallel or very nearly so. None of the factory stocks were originally parallel.

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I will buy all the mod barrels you can find for $100 ??????????????

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Ton, Nu-Line hasn't had a 28 inch Mod for years and if a 28 inch mod sold for 100 it was a huge exception. I have sold a dozen of them for 200 to or more at auctions on Gunbroker and on E-bay. You won't find a 28 inch mod advetised anywhere for less then 200 bucks unless it is a beat up/ rusty screw rib barrel. Those straight traps seem parallel to me but then again I have never measured one. They sure shoot that way for me. If anybody wants to sell a 28 inch Mod for 100 dollars I have a list of guys who who are waiting for them and would be only so happy to pay 100.00 for one. Jeff

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You guys are awesome. The wealth of knowlege that exsits on this site amazes me to know end.

The reason for the stock and barrel question is that I'm wanting to set my SX-1 up for double duty. I would like it for trap games and as a back-up for sporting clays. My SX-1 wears a M/C stock and I'm not sure about the sight pattern this would have with the field barrel. A buddy of mine has a 28" mod barrel and I'm trying to buy it. If doesn't want to sell it, I'll be posting for a barrel.

Last but not least, who would be the best for installing tubes in the 28" barrel?

Thanks again guys!

ec90t

10. sharhope

sharhope Member

I have shot the modified barrel on sporting and I personally wouldnt go to the expense of putting in choke tubes.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are a light Mod eric. they are usally about 15 points of choke and about all anybody needs but for the occasional long shot. If it was me? Briley would get the business. They don't want to see screw rib barrels though. They have some issue with them. ( The screw I suspect?) At any rate that is what I would do but lets face it... Seminole, Keith Anderson, there are many good smiths out there. My personal favorite is a trap barrel opened up to .25 points of choke. If you can't do it all with that it won't be the chokes fault. I would use Kerry Allor or Tom Wilkensen. Jeff

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

So how much is the stock set pictured worth? I have 2 SX 1s that I have for sale to trap kids, so if the kids need them more, the wood will need a new home. We just started Sunday and some of those kids really stretched out from last year. Omaha

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Very tasty looking wood there Omaha.

Jeff,

Thanks for the heads-up on the restriction found in the mod barrels.

My buddy sold me his barrel for a nice price.

Thanks again for the help and info.

ec90t

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Jeff:

Any idea what the choke constrictions normally run in the improved cylinder barrels? Any help is appreciated.

DoubleAuto

15. poorshooter

poorshooter TS Member

ec90T, Don't be too hasty in determining your current stock isn't suitable for sporting. Unless barrel modifications have been made to change the point of impact, most SX-1's are relatively flat shooters regardless of the stock type. I've utilized a SX-1 trap model for the last couple of years with good results for trap, skeet, sporting, and hunting. My gun has a monte carlo stock and 30" barrel. The barrel was converted by Wright's Gun Shop for choke tubes. With the proper tube installed this gun has performed very well. I would suggest that you give your present stock a good try before you make any change.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have never put a Mic to an I.C but I know that short range sporting they work just fine. 35 yards or less the I.C just murders birds and targets. I suspect they more then skeet by at least 5 points. 10 Thousandths perhaps. I will find out as now you have me thinking. Jeff

17. chuckles

chuckles Member

Omaha sporting supply...you have mail....

regards...Chuck

18. finger

finger TS Member

IC barrels I have miked have been .005, and skeet have been basically cylinder bore. I have always preferred the IC barrel for skeet. The skeet barrels were before the days of skeet shoot off doubles and cylinder is a bit lite for those of us who are not top shelf doubles shooters. bob finger

19. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

My SX 1 Improved Cylinder barrel measures .729. I don't know what the bore measures as I have no tool to check that. I have never patterned it but I don't believe it could possibly deliver IC patterns with no more constriction than that.
    Using the same measuring instrument my two Mod barrels both measure .715 & both my full choke barrels measure .690, one is a 30" trap choke & the other a 28" field barrel.

What does the bore usually measure on the SX 1 barrels?

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've miked are .731-.733.
    Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.