1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super x 1 Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 682 beretta, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

I have seen Super x 1 boxes with XTR on the end. how do these guns differ from non XTR models ?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The wood is nicer. The gun itself is no diffrent. It was the last 25 or 30,000 guns that had XTR in the trap and skeet grades. They may have done it on the field grades but I have never seen any that were marked that way in the field grades. Jeff

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jeff: I recently purchased a Super X-1 at a gun show. It has the original box that it came with, On the end of the box it has 30" vent rib; full choke, semi-automatic with Monte Carlo stock; along with the serial # of the gun. This is a trap gun but has no markings anywhere saying trap and does not have the decorative scrolling on the receiver. The wood is very nice though. The serial # is in the 88,000 area. I do not know a lot about Super X-1's but thought they all came with the decorative scrolling and were marked trap?? Thanks. Ed

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Ed, You purchased one of the very last ones built and the set up that you have is quite common. I have seen many of them that are as you speak. Tell me this, Does it say full choke? or trap full choke on the left hand side of the barrel near the area where the barrel fits into the reciever? My guess is that it will say full choke rather then trap full choke. I have seen many that have the Montecarlo Stock, a gold trigger, plain reciever and marked full rather then trap full choke. Jeff

5. esoxhunter

Jeff: Yes it says "Full Choke" on the barrel. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in having one of the last ones built? Thanks. Ed

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I don't see it as a disadvantage unless you wanted a scroll reciever. The guns are the same. The full choke might not be as tight as a trap full choke but then again the trap full chokes are probley tighter then they need to be anyway.
    The full chokes might not shoot as high. I always have ribs built anyway but I know sporting clays shoters that love the full chokes and won't have a trap full choke barrel even if you gave it to them. They think they shoot higher then the full chokes and they prefer flatter shooting barrels. It's really about what you like. Jeff

7. superxfrank

superxfrank TS Member

Ed,I'm sure Jeff will correct me if I am wrong, the only marking on a Super X Model 1 Trap is on the left side of the barrel,it should have "Trap Full" or "Trap Imp Modified", in addition there should be a "white or red" Bradley style front bead and a metal mid-bead this was standard on all Super X-1 target models. If it does have these markings or sights and only has a "front metal bead" it is a field barrel. You are correct, most Super X-1 Trap or Skeet target models have a scrolled receiver, however it is my understanding that some later production models toward the time when they ended production did not have the scrolled receiver, as your Serial number indicates it was probably one of the last Super X-1's manufactured in possibly the last year of production.

Frank

8. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

finger: would you mind telling how to remove the S-X bolt to replace the
    buffer? Thankyou, Howard

9. esoxhunter

I had Stu Wright install a new buffer and he went through the receiver. (new rings and installed his competition spring which is supposed to keep the empties from flying into the next county). However after I got it back it still threw the hulls well past the next station. Stu is now going to place a spot of weld on the area where the barrel slips into the receiver. This supposedly deflects the hull downward. Hope it works. Ed

10. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Jeff....I've got a mint field gun in the box that IS marked XTR...so there were at least some.....Got your package.....everything is great....Thanks!!

Ken Rucker

11. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Ken / Ed-
    Can you let me know what the GSX number is on the boxend of your SX-1s?

Ed-
    Is there any chance the SX-1 you have in the 88K serial range is greater than serial: 88840 ?

Thanks guys,

12. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Thanks guys, Have a nice day, Break-em all. Howard

13. esoxhunter

Alpha 3 niner :My serial # is a quite a bit less than 88840. The other # is GSX1084. Thanks. Ed

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Alpha 3 niner.....mine is GSX1051....S/N M 78100

Ken

15. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Thanks Ken-

Thanks Ed-

I just can't explain my unquenchable desire to seek out data in search of an unfound model of the "Best Damn Semi-Auto Ever Made"!

16. Villian11

Villian11 TS Member

Is anyone willing to post a picture of thier barrel with the holes for a wire shell catcher. I can do this job myself but would prefer not to guess at hole location. A picture with the barrel removed would be best. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks
    Nate

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

This one was done by the late Bob Baumgart.

18. Villian11

Villian11 TS Member

Thank you very much. That pic was just what I needed.
    Nate

19. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

What size drill bit works for this.. And do you recomend a carbide tipped drill bit? Thanks Richie

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I miked it at .040/.041, so call it 1mm piano wire. The holes are angled about 45*. You would have to get solid carbide at that size. not too expensive. Probably a #59. If I was doing it, I'd set it up in a mill, use a centercutting endmill to make a flat surface, then center drill and drill the hole.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.