1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SUPER X-1 QUESTION ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by captin, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captin

captin TS Member

Got a Super x 1 field gun and have never shot any heavy loads in it.

From those that know ??

I wanted to know if the HC like 1 1/8 loads at 1255 fps puts any bad wear on this old gun. Not gona shoot them in it if it will hurt it and prob will not shoot very many in it any way. Gun is in very good condition.

Thanks for your knowledge.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Change the buffer before you shoot it regardless of the loads. If it's an old gun, the buffer is probably dried out. You can ruin the stock and even the frame and internal parts if teh buffer fails.

With a good buffer, should can shoot any 2 3/4" shell except slugs.

3. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Change the buffer once a year and an action spring and the gun should last 500,000 of those shells you mentioned,or 17 tons of shot....give or take a ton. Jim Bowlin

4. captin

captin TS Member

Thanks Setterman, I rebuild this old gun this year and olny shot a couple hundred 1145 fps loads in it since then. I replaced the tube with a stainless one a new buffer and springs. Just shoot doves with it but this winter the doves are big and lots of thick feathers and hard to knock down.

Got several good places to shoot in the next month and thought the heaver loads will whop em a little better with 7 1/2s.

I usually shoot 6s this time of year but they got hard to find all of a sudden !!

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I say changing the buffer yearly is unnecessary with the new materials they are made of.

Replace the original one...

6. captin

captin TS Member

Thanks all, I checked the buffer last night and after the few shells I have shot in it since I put in the new one can't even tell it has been used.

I am gona shoot bout 4 boxes of 3 1/4 -1 1/8 - 7 1/2s through it listed at 1255 fps at some late season doves. until I can find some #6 shot.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Captain: What are you doing shooting them thar po defenseless little tweety birds???? Ross

PS Sure are tasty little devils aren't they.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.