1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JohnnyF903, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

Has anyone had any problems getting the barrel to go back on after replacing the buffer in a Super x-1. It appears to have about 1/8" gap and is tight.

Thanks,

Johnny

2. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

if changing your buffer has impacted the fit of your barrel something is wrong!!! nothing touches the buffer except the rear of the bolt during cycling. better have it looked at by an expert just to be safe. there are pictures on this site of whats happens when the barrell isn't seated properly. (see super x jeff for one) good luck, Jack

3. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

This is the guy who can help you with your question, Super X1 Jeff. I just had a barrel fitted for the same thing not because of the bolt buffer though. Not all barrels well fit properly, also told to shoot a box of shells so new bolt buffer and recoil spring would seat, it worked. Is the barrel hard to pull off also? Ernest Marlette did the fitting of barrel and parts works perfect. Jeff will know better than most as a shooter and guy thats owned a dozen Super X's. Hope thats of some help to yea.

4. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

The gun belongs to a friend . It is a three barrel set and we installed a new buffer in the gun. This was the only thing we changed. All three barrels are tight and do not appear that they are seating. You can hit the end of the barrel and get the barrel down to maby a 1/16" and the gun seems to shoot OK. In order to remove the barrel you have to take the forearm off, put a empty shell in the chamber, and let the bolt slam forward two or three times.

Johnny

5. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Johnny.

Is it possible that the gas ring and o-ring were reversed when re-installing after the buffer was installed? When I shot super x-1s the metal ring on mine were tapered, the small end towards the receiver and the o-ring seated in the larger rnd of the metal ring.

Dave

6. fnj682

fnj682 Member

Did you slam the bolt closed without a barrel present? This sometimes happens and the inside of the receiver gets pinned. This will keep a barrel from seating. Look for a burr on the inside of the receiver. Remove the burr and the barrels will seat.

7. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

Dave,

The upper gas ring on this gun appears to be beveled the same on both sides. I cant tell any difference in it. One thing I did notice was that the piston head retaining ring was sprung and the piston does not always lock onto the piston sleeve assembly. Could this be the problem.

Thanks,

Johnny

8. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

FNJ682

The answer is no. Only let the bolt slam fordward into a empty hull until the barrel released enough to be able to remove it. The cocking handle was not hitting the front of the receiver.

Thanks,

Johnny

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Johnny, if all bbls have the same issue, somehow you buggered a burr somewhere. as stated, pull it apart and reach into the barrel recess with a finger and see if you feel anything. it only needs to be a bump of a couple thousands to cause problems. You could also mark the bbl extension with a magic marker and slide it in as far as it will go, then give it a smack. then pull it out and see if you have a scratch mark on the barrel extension that will tell you where the burr is.

good luck

10. sts1100

sts1100 Member

Johnny,

Do the barrels fit with the gas system removed from the magazine tube?

Dave

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

No.

Wayne

12. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

Dave,

I will have to check and see tomorrow. I do not have the gun in hand at this time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Johnny

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

One time I got a SX-1 shipped to me and when I tried, I could not get the barrel fully seated. On a whim, I changed the gas system from another gun and it went on perfectly. Later, I could interchange the gas systems and the barrels would go on correctly. Something I did initially when installing the gas system on the new gun was wrong but for the life of me I don't know what. I had owned literally a dozen SX-1s and putting them together is not brain surgery.

As pointed out above, I did have to have one barrel that did not come with a gun fitted by a gunsmith. All others would go on with differing degrees of ease or difficulty.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

claybrdr
    I do not think you did anything wrong the first time you put that ASx-1 togather. I have done exactly the same thing you are talking about.Changing the gas system and all of the the sudden the gun just clicked togather. Jeff

15. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

Super X Jeff

Do you have any other suggestions for my problem except the comments that were made above. I will have the gun back this morning.

Thanks,

Johnny

16. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Make sure the buffer is seated. I use small dab of vaseline and a dowel that is drilled in end to match buffer and use a small hammer to make sure it goes in. Sounds like this could be causing problem. jim w

17. claybrdr

I cut a 7/8 inch dowel ten inches long for the same purpose. Makes it easy to drive the buffer all the way in.

18. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

why do we keep talking about the buffer? It has nothing to do with barrel fit. the barrel tang does not contact the buffer. if the barrel does not "seat" the offending part can not be the buffer. please let us know when the problem is found. again, it is nothing to do with the buffer!!!! Jack

19. claybrdr

You seat the barrel with the bolt open, right? If the buffer is not fully seated, the bolt won't open fully, right?

20. JohnnyF903

JohnnyF903 Member

After tearing the gun back down I found that the barrels are just tight. The problem does not have anything to do with the buffer or any part in the receiver. I can remove all parts, trigger, bolt, ect and the barrels are still tight. It is just designed with a close tollerance. After putting some slide glide on the barrels and where the barrel contacts the receiver I was able to get the barrel to go into place by putting the end of the barrel on a 2x4 and tapping the recoil pad with my hand.
    Just a tight fit close tollerance gun.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Johnny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.