1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Locked-up in battery mode. Help!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GordonWood421, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Sounds like the link has jumped out of the follower .

Charlie

2. finger

finger TS Member

The pin that holds the bolt together may have slipped a bit. When this happens you wind up just as you describe. Remove the trigger group and have a long but small blade screwdriver in your hand. About 1/3 of the way forward from the rear of the bolt is where that pin is. Hard if not impossible to see it when gun is in battery but it is there and you can feel it with the screwdriver blade. A bit of persuasion (depending on which way the pin slid) either way should free up the bolt. You don't need to "force" anything. Be glad it happened to you the first time with the gun empty. Its a bit unnerving to do it the first time with a live one in the chamber as happened to me. I have had this happen to two SX-1's over the years. Second time I knew what it was and fixed it in about ten seconds. First time was a learning experience. After the bolt is out have that pin enlarged just a bit or get a new pin so it does not happen to you again, although it probably never will even using the original pin. bob finger

3. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

An honest to goodness post with those who can help this shooter.

Great!!!

ABD

4. Scott

Scott TS Member

Fingers advice will get you out of the woods. Be sure to peen that pin before re-installaton or you will be right back at it.

5. finger

finger TS Member

You have found the problem. Now take that screwdriver I told you about and push the pin back in so it is centered in the bolt. You will need to do it by feel. When it is back in place the bolt will move freely and you can remove same from the receiver. If you can remove the link from it receiver before you get the pin back in place you will know immediately when the pin is correct as the bolt will all at once slide freely toward the rear of the receiver (the link needs to compress the recoil spring if the link is in its receiver).

No forcing necessary as it sounds like that sucker is loose. What you are doing is pushing it too far one way then the other. It needs to be centered so it does not bind on the rails. You will know when you have it right as the bolt will move freely. Once you can move the bolt, pull the charging handle, remove the link from its receiver in the stock and use the link to pull the bolt free of the receiver, if you have not already done so. Again,no forcing necessary. Nice and easy and be gentle. If the pin is real loose, and it sounds like it is be careful you don't lose it as you take the bolt out. I'll say it again, That pin is sloppy in the bolt and it is denying you the ability to move it, so get it out of the way by pushing it back into the bolt where it belongs and then you can get the bolt out. If you don't force anything or use big heavy tools you can't hurt anything so just use a bit of patience and persistence and soon the bolt will be in your hand. bob finger

6. finger

finger TS Member

I just re-read your last post. Possibly the bolt has separated a bit as that pin holds it all together. You may have to put a bit of pressure on the rear of the bolt (the back of the firing pin actually) to get that pin to go all the way back in. Ain't no way you can remove the pin entirely with the bolt in the gun, so don't try. The problem may be that the firing pin has turned a bit and there is a slot in the firing pin that the pin goes through. Its a fairly big slot but if the pin is 180 degrees from where it should be you won't be able to push the pin all the way back in. I suspect the gun is not in complete battery and if so you can finesse the firing pin a bit until the lock pin goes back in. Give it a shot. Unless you are using a big hammer, and don't, you can't hurt it any. Keeping fingers crossed and do please let us know that you got it out of the gun. bob finger

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Augie Daddi:

Ok Sport shot said he was making a new thread about this and even though he is not a hard blooded trap shooter then im glad that some has come and hope to got his problem fixed.

Im sure you read some of the other threads posted by him but it wasn't to ask a real question for a fix but it seemeed to talk down on us that don't give a shit about Skeet,sporting Clay's and the other games besides Trap.

All I know I will help anyone anytime and im sure a lot knows that out ther.

After all we are still shooter's of some kind of sport.

Foghorn220

8. finger

finger TS Member

Congrats! I knew you could get it. Now inspect that firing pin very carefully as the pin may be broken, but unlikely. When you re-assemble the bolt do stake the pin in just a bit so you don't have that problem again for a long time. If the pin were staked even turning the gun sideways should not cause the problem. Its that the pin is a bit loose. But don't stake it too hard as you do need to get the bolt apart at some time in the future to replace the firing pin or spring.

Like I said earlier I have gone through this with two SX-1's. Second time it only took about ten seconds because I knew what I was doing. The first time well you know how it goes. Again, congratulations.

Hey Foggy, what good is knowledge if not shared? Since I'm a skeet shooter some would say I was just showing off. And so it goes.
    bob finger

9. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Sportshot....I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but you really need to get your SX-1's gone thru by a qualified smith. They are very simple to work on as autos go, but you do need some basic knowledge of how they are assmbled and function. The pin you've been having trouble with actually has a replacement part that is slightly oversize to eliminate the problem you encountered, eliminating the need to reuse the original and stake it in place. Staking means to use a prick punch and upset the metal where the pin and it's mating hole meet after reinstalling the pin. Box 'em up and send'em to Stu Wright and get them updated, then enjoy them!!!!

Ken Rucker

10. finger

finger TS Member

I concur with Ruck on both counts. Another really good smith for the SX-1 is Earnest Marlette in NC. But since you only need to open the bolt up once every year or so for a spring replacement staking is adequate. I have never had a staked pin come out unless I wanted it to. The oversized replacement pin is worthwhile have a few of if you do lots of SX-1 bolt work. They are darn inexpensive insurance.

If you are not comfortable staking the pin don't do it yourself. Have a gunsmith show you how the first time. You asking the question implys you are not comfortable. No shame in that. Many of us go in over our heads. Me I won't take my Kolar apart. bob finger

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I just got into this post and found it interesting. The only one I have ever seen do this was a NIB gun that was bought for inventory back when they were made. It would not open to be assembled for display. I headed up a warranty service center at the time, and it took a minute to figure out this had happened to a gun that had only been shot once!

I generally take a set of vice grips and pinch an end of a travelling pin to keep it in place.

My Cynergy has FOUR pins that will fall right out when the stock is removed. Correction! HAD is the word.

12. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Sportshot...you may want to consider getting the firing pin itself examined. I have several SX-1's of various vintage.

One of the newest and least fired guns I had owned since new began to develop a problem with light hits on the primers.....very sporadic and not related to any one brand of shells or primers.

Upon very close exam, the firing pin had been peened over ever so slightly right where the hammer strikes. I suspect the hardening in this pin wasn't the same as some of the older models I have.

A new firing pin solved the problem and no misfires since.

Bob T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.