1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Experts...help please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kiwiG, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, These days I'm standing further back from the traphouse and am beginning to feel the need for a gun with a bit more choke (I only shoot about 50 'caps a month, so getting a new barrel for my break-open is not really cost effective). Please navigate to trademe.co.nz and search 167555256 , or browse through 'hunting and shooting'-'shotguns' until you get to the Super X-1 trapgun. NZ$675 = US$520 (approx)...does this gun appear to represent good value? Thanks in advance-Graham.

2. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

I have one that is at least thirty years old with a second barrel for skeet. The gun is well built out of machine parts and is on the heavy side. The gas system is not the best for reducing recoil; I think the Remington 1100 has less recoil. I do not like shooting trap with it because of the recoil. I found when shooting doubles it was hard to get one the second bird because of the bounce. The gun shoots on the flat side. I used it primary as a skeet gun. I did have to replace a broken recoil spring follower and other springs, not bad for a gun that old...

As far as the price goes $ 355.00 is a very good deal and even at $ 675.00 it is still a good deal. The gun has attained a cult following and people are reworking them into sporting clays guns and asking $ 3000.00 plus.

If you decide to buy it I would recommend asking for a five day inspection clause.

I hope this is helpful to you and the best of luck.

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Graham , I think your asking for trouble buying a gun from overseas , unless your your already there.I think it better if you have not owned a Super x 1 , see one in person first before buying it , there could be some repair issues. Jeff

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys. Yes, I live in New Zealand. We don't shoot much in the way of 'caps here and 1oz(or less) shells are compulsory...hence the need for a bit more choke when I do go back a little in yardage. Cheers-Graham.

5. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Look at his sign-in name. He may already be "overseas" Could it be KIWI?

The Bayrat

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Graham, I've had and sold 4 or 5 of the SX-1 trap guns from the time they first came out till maybe 5 years ago. I found them to be as sound as any auto and much simpler than the Rem. 1100. Some say the SX-1 had more felt recoil than the Rem. 1100 and others say just the opposite - I'm one that found the SX-1s apparently fit me better and gave me less felt recoil than the Remington. I also used 3 of those trap guns for skeet, sporting, and some last minute hunting with the trap configuration but using either the trap full choke, a modified 28" barrel, or the Imp. Cyl. 26" barrel on the one receiver and stock. I found the factory trap full choke barrel to be all that was necessary for shots from as far back as you like. I would say the price you're quoting would be quite reasonable for an SX-1 in decent shape but one must remember that the gun has been discontinued a good number of years and parts can be troublesome to find. There are gunsmiths who cater to the SX-1 gun here in the U.S. but it might be onerous to have to ship it back and forth if you did have trouble.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Oh, one other thing is that they have a propensity to throw expended shells as far as any auto chucker I've been around and can be a little hard to tame in that respect. There are smiths here in the U.S. that can install piano wire catchers that work the best with the SX-1 but that would be a problem with doubles or DTL on a second shot.....BD

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

$520 is a good price in the states, if the gun is in good shape. The first couple of years these guns were made with a carbon piston sleeve and mag tubes, rusted bad. I've seen the barrel under lug where the gas ports are rust solid to the piston sleeve. Contact the seller and find out if it has the rust resistant parts in it. Also if you do get the gun make sure it has the bolt buffer in it before you shoot it!! I would order a new bolt buffer and recoil spring from Wright's gunsmith shop. Wayne

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks Guys. Plenty to think on. Cheers-Graham.

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have five SX-1's and love the gun. I believe most came with the old style mag tube and all of them needed one thing or the other that I think of a a standard upgrade package.

- SS mag tube
    - hard chrome gas parts
    - SS follower and recoil spring
    - New buffer of good material (e.g. Wright's)

All of these parts are available from a few sources, Wright's being one of them. If the gun you are looking at doesn't have them, they are easily purchased and installed. When you get done, you have a very tough and reliable shooter that I think exceeds in character all other autos.

Cheers

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I own a SX1 and although I'm not a fan of semi autos for trap, I loaned it to a buddy that had a gun break down. Well he proceeded to shoot 800 rounds at doubles without one mishap. I was suprised as hell. That is a good price for a good gun.

11. bloodhound

bloodhound TS Member

I have 3 right now, and had 4 others in the past. One dedicated trap, one skeet/sporting clays and one that I hunt with. I have owned Berettas, Remintons, Ithacas, and Benelli...The Super X1 fits me...I hope it fits you...if so you can't go wrong...as far as function its a tank, but with loads of class...

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.