1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X 1 Choke Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OzarkGun, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I am wanting to put choke tubes in my full choke Super X 1 barrel. I seem to have quite a selection of tubes laying around. I am thinking of having it threaded for the Beretta Mobile Choke or Optima or possible the Browning Invector or Invector Plus. What would you suggest and who can do it? The ID of the barrel is .735 and the current choke is .700.

Thanks
    Jack

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you have the screw attaching the rib in front, it's quite a project. Need to solder the rib and reblue the barrel. Also it depends how much steel you have to work with, definitely not Invector +, which are designed for an overbored barrel. I looked into it and decided not to do it. I found another gun with a modified barrel, that was cheaper than the barrel work was going to be. Works great for Sporting. Mark

3. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

Jack: consider Briely or Wrights both are excellent, if its a trap barrel full choke(it will be marked trap) don't tube it. if its a field barrel that would be the better choice, don't ruin an choice trap barrel.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

as I recall, you can only have thin wall tubes put in.

Check with Carlton for the tru-choke installation. they did a super x barrel for me and it works great and was affordable...

use the sporting clays extended chokes.

that being said, don't ruin a great winchester trap barrel...

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

related thread.

6. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I just had a sx1 threaded for chokes -- Ballistic specaltis in Arizona did the work . my bore was 733 they said it was a good canidate for optima chokes -that is what they threaded it for -- they also put a roll pin in the rib to hold it down-- they did a good job and I like the longer optima chokes.

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Isn't Ballistic Specialties located in Batesville, Arkansas?

8. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I forgot I also had them lenghten the forcing cones

Ruin the barrel --good grief

9. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Batesville arizona

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ballistic Specialties (AnglePort) is in Batesville ARKANSAS.

11. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

I was wrong --it is Arkansas

for some reason I had it in my head it was AZ

12. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

I should have mentioned that this is a field barrel without the screw in the rib. I don't think it will be a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Jack

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Do whatever, but, the super x1 barrels are not beefy enough for most chokes. Buyer beware..

14. todman2

todman2 Member

I had 2 Super X1 barrels done with screw in chokes. I talked to a couple of the guys listed above and they told me there was not enough meat in my skeet or trap barrels to do this. I talked to briley and the had me send both barrels and they told me plenty of barrel steel for their thin wall choke system. I had both barrels done 2 years ago and they work great. A the cost was not bad. Give them a call

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have had them done by Briley ( Thin walls) and by Ballistic Specialties (AnglePort) and they were both ( are) great. I have never had Wrights do a barrel for me but if they do it, you can be assured of two things. Number one it will be safe to do so and that the work will be top notch.

I have had zero issues with all my dealings with Scott and Stu Wright and I have heard nothing but good things about the line of choke tubes they make. If I ever have another barrel tubed it will be by them.

Be careful about which chokes you allow somebody to put in your sx-1. Most chokes are too thick. Jeff

16. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

Thanks guys for your input. I think I will check into Briley thin-walls. That seems to be the best solution.

Jack

17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I also have had Briley thin-walls put into a 28" mod barrel that I use for SC. No problem with thin-walls.

As mentioned, I would be more wary of trying to have the barrel threaded for a choke system that needs more metal than the thin-wall type systems.

Briley did a very good job for me as I'm sure Ballistics, Carlson, or Wrights would also.

Cheers

18. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

This is my Super x with the optima chokes--- I like the optima threading-- now I can shoot any optima choke .I don't see what the problem would be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley super x 1

is winchester super x pump threaded for choke tubes

super x 1 stainless tube

super x 2 choke tubes

super x tube

trap barrel for super x

winchester super x mod 1 carlson or briley choke tubes