1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super X-1 Advice Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I purchased a neat Super X trap today. Always wanted one. Problem: Bought from a friend, he knows history of the gun, and admittedly indicated gun came to him on a trade and sat in his safe for a year. He never cleaned it up. I shot the gun today, and, after ten shots, I would not strike the primers consistently. We figure this is just an issue of a dirty bolt and/or trigger group. But is there any subtlty about this gun that I should know re. this problem? Friend fiddled with gun and got it to fire again. I know it needs a good bit of housekeeping, but could there be some kind of particular "Super X" problem?

Gosh it's a nice gun, just needs a little TLC..high aftermarket rib, nice wood, adjustable comb, shoots where I look etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Do both it and yourself a favor and install a Wright's upgrade kit in it. One of the things in the kit is a new hammer spring, which it sounds like it needs. Also check to make sure the firing pin spring isn't broken and bunched up around the pin.

Ken Rucker

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do not fire that gun until you have inspected the bolt buffer!!

You will need to get a new bolt buffer and recoil spring. Wright's has them.
    Wayne

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

"Do not fire that gun until you have inspected the bolt buffer!!

You will need to get a new bolt buffer and recoil spring. Wright's has them. "

Its worth saying twice.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree. Send it to Stu Wright and have him go through it. It will save you a lot of frustration and protect the gun. The bolt buffer is an important fix. Nice gun. I have one and like it. But I had Stu go through it to give me piece of mind. Ed

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to you posters for steepening my learning curve about these guns. Will get her brought up to speed.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

PS..can somebody give me the address/tel. number for Stu Wright? Thanks...I used to see his ads years ago. I can find Nuline via Google, but not Stu Wright.

8. esoxhunter

His website is above. Ed

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Ed.

David

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Went to Wright's website and they look very competent, but don't list specific information re. services for X-1. Found specific service listings at Nu Line. I would guess it may be six of one, half dozen of the other re. choice.
    'Preciate more feedback. Thanks.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

David, use Wrights by all means

12. esoxhunter

email or call Stu and explain ask him for advice , costs, etc. Stu is the go to guy for Winchesters. Ed

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Bring the gun to Redlands next week end (Winter Chain) I'll show you what to do and bring you a Super-X repair manual. This was my gun of choice when I was in my prime shootin trap and sporting clays. You don't need to send it to Wright's. Most reliable gun I have ever had. I'll bring a few spare parts, in case the gun needs something.

My knee replacement surgery will be April 15th and I'll be limping around that weekend and not shooting. Look for my silver Chevy crew cab/Duramax, Arizona license "3 for Quail"

Tom Strunk

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to all who have posted re. my Super X-1 trap on this thread. I took my gun apart somewhat tonight and looked at stuff at my desk. All looked clean inside, barrel, of course, rather dirty, measured barrel, amazed that the choke is 40/1000 etc. etc. Trigger group looked "fresh" and clean with a couple of small red dots stuck on it...from the powder from years ago. But...found a black piece of broken plastic in the trigger group. Looked up into the receiver and saw what I think is a broken and loose "buffer"..kinda a black pointed button kind of thing. So I surmise: Gun has not been shot for over a year, and likely, sparingly over several years. The buffer just got old and brittle; maybe when I was shooting the gun ten times. Plastic fell into the trigger and stopped a fast enough hammer fall?? Thanks to all who told me to stop shooting the gun or trying to do so. BTW, these things sure are fun to look at when taking them apart; beautiful machined metal.

BTW, more mystery: Gun has a Moneymaker rib and aftermarket stock. Nice stock, figured walnut on stock and forend. Dull finish, very mat in sheen. But..there is a gold plate on the grip cap. Initials are: "B.J."

Anybody have a clue who might have once used this gun in ATA or league etc.?
    Initials are on an ebony plate that's attached to the grip area.

I also assume this is a fun gun to have and to shoot now and then. I am thinking of having the receiver and trigger group refinished..since, I assume, gun is not collectable. What is recommended for durability and aesthetics besides bluing? And by whom? Any consultation/opinions appreciated.

15. chuckles

chuckles Member

David, upgrades and esthetics are a new Chrome or Stainless steel magazine tube same for Return spring tube and spring, Stainless steel Gas system, a stage 3 Trigger, Screw choke the barrel by Briley, have an adjustable comb installed by Tron, NuLine will have the tubes for reasonable figures, Tron can be contacted here on TS.com.

I would drill the receiver opening hood for a wire shell catcher or have Wrights/NuLine do it.

regards

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Learning about these things...has the chrome magazine tube already, what looks like a stainless gas system, and an adjustable comb. Trigger is a stage 1 and is nice and light. What is the advantage to a stage III?

I'm thinking of having the receiver/trigger group either reblued or??? Something durable. I figure the gun is not collectable, but a desirable shooter/hot rod of a gun. Has non-factory wood, and a high rib already.

Any company you folks know of offer a black highly durable finish for the receiver/trigger group?

17. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Your original buffer came apart, those plastic bits down in the trigger is what caused the hammer not to fall as it should. Though making sure the pin spring, and hammer spring are in good shape is not a bad idea. If you've got significant tension when trying to depress the firing pin, the spring is OK.

DO NOT put any other buffer in it except a Wrights, I don't particularly care for the new material he's using but it's still the best one out there. Don't let the cost sway you, if you don't do anything else make sure that buffer goes in the gun.

Clean it up and shoot it, if the mag tube is worn or pitted you may need to heat it, remove and turn it around. Use an 021 Viton O-ring, carb or brake cleaner won't bother it if it's used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.