1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Star thrower

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fcd67, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Our club is looking for a new thrower. The Super Star doubles wobble is the current choice.
    Anyone have experience with these? Opinions?

I wanted to look at Pat traps. We are up in WI and I have heard the Pat Traps are slow until they warm up when it's cold out. Any truth to that?

Thanks
    Sean

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Hi Sean : When I was making the choice , I was comparing GMV Super Star versus the Pat-Trap Inc..
    I chose the GMV Super Star ,I thought that staying away from hydraulics, in cold weather was an issue.
    Upon purchasing GMV Super Star I ran into electronic issues. looks like they had voltage convertor issues. Kept replacing parts. Finally resolved issue.
    But it was annoying.New Machine . Not our fault . Design issue.
    This issue was not just our machine. It is a good machine but !!!
    The way things have gone lately. Come up with a list of reasons why not to buy a Pat Trap & call Pat and discuss it with them.
    By the way our club as we get older, we are fair weather shooters.
    We do not use the GMV in winter. We have an older Beomat 400, A workhorse.
    I chose it as well.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

We have GMV's at our club and thsy have been very trouble free,I don't know much about Pat's except my experience at other clubs my only comment would be if you shoot doubles over a GMV you will be disappointed when you shoot doubles over a Pat trap.Jerry

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We have a GMV Super Star Wobble ( no doubles) and had a couple elect probs at first but that is because it was used outdoors at a sporting clays course. It has now been troublefree for 3 years. We like it. I have been around the Pats and dont feel they are as reliable as the GMV ( The GMV is a clone of the indestructible Beomats) Most parts interchange

5. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I am pretty sure Gmv closed up shop. We use Pat traps in the cold Michigan winters. The newer pats do not have the large hyd. tank like the older pat traps so they warm up pretty quick. Just start them up about 15 min before shooting and all is good.I have shot in some below 0 temps and the traps worked fine. I didn't but they did.

Mark

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

As much as I like the Super Star I would recommend against it. As mentioned above the folks that make them are kaput. Parts are harder and harder to find. We had to substitute and improvise to replace the thrower motor on one of ours to keep it running and it was only 2 years old (burned up due to club member stupidity). From what I hear the "cold" issues with the Pats are much less with the newer models as well.
    Pats are the only way to go right now.

--- Chip King ---

7. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I didn't realize GMV was out of business.

What about Promatic?

Any clubs using them?

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Pat Trap! Have had both and Pat Trap is by far easier to maintain, parts are much easier to obtain and the price on them is also better. Some parts are also available thru Granger. Try that with SS. Jake

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The Star is a good machine but they have closed their doors. Parts you can get FOR NOW but they will dry up in time. You are then screwed. Buy a PAT-TRAP and you will not be sorry. Yes, in cold weather you have to get to the club early and let the Hydralices warm up. Half and hour or 45 min. You can put a timer on it for a heat lamp or a pet heating pad from the pet store. These problems can be over come. Get the PT that has singles, doubles and wobble.

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Hi Sean: In Tucson , at Tucson Trap & Skeet we have 50 Pat Traps.

Not a lot of time spent complaining about quality of targets.
    Check a score sheet at a shoot !!!!
    Yes our GMV Super Star ha worked fine , once the bugs were gone.
    I didn't think I was buying a machine that needed any bugs worked out.
    Shyda's in Pennsylvania helped me with my machine. Give them a call.

Joe Woods/Ontario

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

But Dale praises the GMV's........

12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Our Pat Traps are 7 years old, and compared to the earlier ones you don't need any warm-up time at all. We use the oil that came with them ( syn. 0W20 ) and haven't had one prob. with cold weather.

13. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My Club is purchasing our 2nd Pat Trap from our local distributor http://www.cacassociatesinc.com/ We have had no issues with our 1st Pat Trap. YES GMV Superstar is out of business ..... but Shydas in Lebanon, PA still services them.

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

GMV traps are good machines and you can get parts from Quality Replacement parts in Ohio.

Whoever says GMV traps throw a bad target is full of BS

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

We have 5 GMV trap machines and 2 GMV skeet machines. Doubles and wobbles. If you do regular cleaning and maintenance, you will have no problem. We did have a problem with one machine, but it was the electric power feed before the machine, not the machine itself. They throw the best, most consistent targets I have ever shot. If you look at the scores shot at our club, versus the other clubs around here, you will see that we have consistently higher scores. I prefer the GMV over Pats, if you can't tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are superstar traps good

superstar trap thrower