1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Star Doubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blue Claw 2, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Claw 2

Blue Claw 2 TS Member

Gentlemen,

Does anybody know why some Super Star Traps throw erratic doubles targets even in still air? What I mean is that the targets tend to wander. They don't go to the same place each time.
    The height seems to be OK but the 1st target can be 2 or 3 feet left or right of where the previous target went and where you expect this target to go.
    Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Marty S

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marty..... We have 3 Super Stars at our club and they all throw excellent doubles targets. The key to consistant doubles from these traps is to make sure your brush pack is adjusted correctly. If the brush pack has the right adjustment, both targets will be held firmly against the arm rubber when the machine is in battery. If the brush pack is out of adjustment and the targets are not held in place you will, occasionally get targets that wander.... Just our experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Blue Claw 2

Blue Claw 2 TS Member

Dan,
    Thanks for your response.
    When you say, "make sure your brush pack is adjusted correctly" how do you go about doing this?
    Is there a measurement to be made or is it a matter of knowing from experience? How much pressure should the brush pack exert upon the targets as they slide under?
    I tried using less pressure and the targets just slid out from under the brush pack. So I put some pressure back on the targets, I am not sure but I think the targets wandered more than they did before anything was changed.
    Marty Stover

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marty..... The brush pack should be lowered so it holds the targets rather firmly. I adjust ours so that it holds the targets tight enough where it is difficult for me to slide a target out from under the pack. The looser you adjust the pack, the more the targets tend to be "bumped" away from the arm rubber as it comes into battery, leaving a space from 1/8" to 1/4" between the edge of the targets and the arm rubber. This will also allow the targets to slide around on the throwing plate instead of maintaining the targets in the same position every time.......Dan

5. Blue Claw 2

Blue Claw 2 TS Member

Dan,
    Thanks again for the information.
    Will try same at the next opportunity.

Marty

6. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

I agree with Dan, the Super Star is a great machine. To get the best doubles target I believe that experience with the old hand sets is helpful as many adjustments are the same. You can "tune" the presentation far more than the presto-chango Pat's. Mike

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Marty, I couldn't agree more with Dan and Mike, they are a great machine, especially if you have to deal with cold weather. Mike is right on when he speaks to the similarity of the old WW hand sets and the Star's adjustments. The one "fault" that we have found is the sensitivity of the brush pack adjustment and it shows itself on the throwing of doubles. I wish that it had been designed with brushes that hold the targets from the edges of the target rather than from the top. Your adjustments for windage are superior and easier than the other popular make and the steel spring is much more consistent for your speed. Mike is correct about the "tuning" factor,far superior, just can take longer, depending on your needs. Good health and good shooting, Bob H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.