1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

super pigeon model 12 question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbcook, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

were there plenty of model 12 super pigeon guns made? if so what should a guy be able to buy a nice one for? thanks dwain

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Define "Plenty" and the price would always depend on the condition, ones desire to own one or a combination of both ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i was just wandering if anyone on this site sees them for sale very often at shoots they go to or private individuals having them for sale. i have only seen one for sale on the 3 major gun auctions i see on the internet.i had a man in ohio was supposed to email me pics of one he had in the box,but never heard from him after that. i would like to have one in my collection but don,t really have any idea of there worth.i would want a nice one maybe in the box ,but that is not a necessity. i just would like to have one in my collection..thanks dwain

4. John55

John55 Active Member

I've been attending trapshoots for over 30 years, both night derby shoots and ATA. I can count on one hand the number of "real" Super Pigeon M12s I have seen in that time. They were a custom shop gun, so they had to be ordered by someone, and their time in production wasn't many years either. I think the term scarce as hen's teeth applies here.

5. John55

John55 Active Member

I've been attending trapshoots for over 30 years, both night derby shoots and ATA. I can count on one hand the number of "real" Super Pigeon M12s I have seen in that time. They were a custom shop gun, so they had to be ordered by someone, and their time in production wasn't many years either. I think the term scarce as hen's teeth applies here.

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I believe they made a lot more trap than they did skeet and field however I think the traps are in bigger demand. What you are going to pay will depend not only on condition as stated by WPT but also on the engraving pattern(1-6) and the carving(AorB). If you want one w/ gold figures the price will go up some more. Be more specific on what you want.

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

idon,t need gold figures . i would like one either A or B engraved wood. i think the 1 A engraving would do. i guess these super pigeons are like all model 12,s a zillion different combo,s i don,t need an unfired gun.i would just like to have a nice one but don,t have any idea what a nice one would bring with A or B carved wood & 1-A engraving thans dwain

8. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Go to Cabelas.com click on gun libary then winchester,many many mod.12's,21's42's but no cheap pigions. Jon

9. Model12SuperPigeon

Model12SuperPigeon TS Member

I'm not sure how accurate my info is, but here's what I can offer, compiled from various sources, mainly books, and other forums...

The Model 12 Super Pigeon Grade was manufactured from 1964-1972, by the Winchester Custom Shop, using parts that were left over following the discontinuation of the regular Model 12. They were manufactured in 12 ga only, any choke, various carving and engraving options, 26", 28" and 30". They preceded the so called 'Y' models (which were manufactured beginning in 1972, using investment cast receivers, etc...). I believe the serial numbers on the Super Pigeon Grades would be in the 196xxxx range and higher. According to the Madis book, over 6,000 were produced. Some (maybe all?) are in fact marked with the 'Y' serial number prefix, owing to a change in the Winchester inventory system some time after '64, but should not be confused with the 1972+ production 'Y' models, which strted with sn's around 199xxxx. I also read somewhere that in 1984-85 another run of 480 Super Pigeon guns was manufactured specially for Jaquas.

I was fortunate to be able to acquire one from the estate of a friend a few months ago...sn Y1966xxx, which dates it to 1969, I believe. It's 30" Full, 12-1B engraving, 12-A carving, 3-pin duckbill VR. It's an absolutely great gun, and it's now my full-time trapgun, including doubles!

I've only ever seen one other for sale (I think it was on Cabela's website), and I saw one in a listing of acution results from several months ago. The Blue Book of Gun Values from a few years ago values them at $2,500 in 98% condition...$1,750 for 80%.

If anyone has any corrections or additions to what I've stated, I'd be interested...as I haven't been able to find very much solid documentation and I'd love to learn more.

Tim

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i looked at the one on cabela,s website. if you look closely at the stock where it meets the receiver on the same side as the shell ejects you will see a big chunk of the stock has broken off. i sure wouldn,t want to give 3500 for that gun with the piece broke out of the stock. dwain

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

$2500.00 to $3500.00 for new in box Super Pigeon Model 12, I know where there are 2 of them, one is being purchased at the Ohio State Shoot today.

Dr.longshot

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

dr longshot. i would be interested in one .please email me info..thanks dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.