1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

super hcp powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddottm1, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

Just bought super hcp powder, loaded with AA hulls, 20 grs, AA wads, 1 1/8 shot, after I shoot these hulls they are very dirty with powder residue, what causes this? These shells very well.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7 1/2's or 8's ?

3. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

reddottm1, I have also loaded the load you are shooting and I had forgotten how dirty Winchester powders were. I USED to use the Ball Powders many years ago, and it looked like someone had poured "sand" down my barrel after shooting. The SH powder is not AS dirty by no were as clean as Hodgdins (sp?) or Solo 1000. Good powder and makes a good reload as close as I have found to the true Super Handicaps, just dirty.

Mike* (MH*)

4. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

Thanks Mike, I thought I was doing something wrong maybe not. When I shoot 100 of these need to wash my hands and clean my gun.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is "dirty" because of an incomplete burn. What primer are you using? Have you weighed your shot drop? Is it really 1 1/8 oz? Or is it lite. HMB

6. pete1955

pete1955 TS Member

I load handicap powder in a AA hull with a AA primer and I use like 19.4 grains and one ounce of shot. I have loaded the 1 1/8 with 19.7 and have not had any problems. It leaves a little more in the barrel than clays or some other powder but nothing like your seeing. Are you using winchester primers ? pete

7. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

NOT WEIGHED SHOT, USING A MEC LOADER WITH 1 1/8 BAR, USING FIO616 PRIMERS. WHEN I USED ESTATE HULLS NO PROBLEM, JUST THE AA HULLS.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You'll notice this with tapered hulls (AA's) and low volume powders. Not enough pressure on the powder to get good ignition is the culprit. The wads don't seat firmly enough and as you know your crimps are usually a bit deep. No problems with straight walled cases as the wad seats better. You might want to try a 1oz. wad using 1 1/8oz. shot for tighter crimps!!

9. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

loaded 1oz wad and set my crimp deaper and this fixed the problem.
    thanks oleolliedawg.

10. Duckshoot

Duckshoot TS Member

Try a cheddite primer or W-W primer and your problem might go away. I found that the fiocchi primers required about 1.5 grains more powder to get the same velocity. In the winter I actually had bloopers using the fiocchi primers with clays and solo 1000 with one ounce loads that were fine with the other primers. That is when I put the loads over the chronograph and was surprised at the difference.

11. oleolliedawg

Duckshoot, same problem occurs with Winchester primers. It's NOT the primer it's the inability to get the wad to seat properly on the light powder charge. There are significant differences in volume with Clays, Tight Group and Win. Super Handicap powders. Please do not try to compare Clays with Win.Super HC. I speak from my own experience and that of other very experienced professional reloaders!!

12. BigM-Perazzi

I don't believe 20 gr would be considered a light powder charge....

13. oleolliedawg

It is when the bushing diameter used to throw that amount is around .360"!!

14. BigM-Perazzi

well Ollie, I guess you lost me there....

15. oleolliedawg

Real simple. Some of these newer powders are very dense and extremely small bushing ID's are needed to throw safe powder charges. Since so little actual volume is dropped in the shell problems can occur with standard wads not gertting adaquate pressure on the powder charge. Poor ignition can occur and subsequent dirty cases are the result. Remington solved this problem in their Nitros by using the TGT wad for 1 1/8oz. loads!!

16. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
estate hulls super handicap powder which wad
super handicap powder dirty

super hcp powder

winchester super hcp powder
ww super hcp powder