1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Handicap Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hot springs, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

I recently bought some Winchester Super Handicap powder to reproduce the Winchester Super Handicap load. I'm unhappy with the finished products looks. The shells don't crimp well and don't look completely full. Every hull has a dished in appearance and a visible pellet in the center. I have adjusted the final crimp station to reduce the dished in look of the finished shells. I have checked weight on both the powder and shot. They are exactly as the published data specifies. Also, I am using all Winchester components. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

I had the same problem. Not enough powder in 20.9grs. to help fill the case. I was going to try using the 1oz. wad but then the load wouldn't be a duplicate of the factory. I just thought about cutting open a factory load and see what wad they use.

Wayne

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Winchester uses the same wad available to us, but Winchester uses a different OEM powder not available to us. I have had success duplicating the performance of Winchester Super Handicap shells using Green Dot powder.

Pat Ireland

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Hotsprings, use the AA pink 1 oz. wad or the Remington TGT12 wad, the loads will look and funtion perfectly, the Newer factory Nitro 27 shells using Titegroup powder are manufactured with the green TGT-12 wads. incinerate em!

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a MEC 9000H, and I lowered pre crimp a little and the final crimp. Zero wad pressure. Mine looke fine. I shoot 20.4 gr.

6. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Thanks for the tip about the 1 oz. pink wads. I'll give it a try. That would be an easy fix. The powder must be very dense because it sure doesn't take up much volume in the shell @ 20.9 grains

Pat Ireland. There was an article in Shotgun Sports magazine in the last year or so about Winchester Super Handicap powder. The article says that it is the same powder they use in the silver bullets. There was a full page ad next to the article declaring a new shell and a reload side by side were indistinguishable. The ad was titled "identical twins".

I too have tried other powders that perform well. I was just convinced by the article and the ad I was going to come very close to duplicating the factory load.

Thanks

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

hot springs, I would not arbitralily substitute a Pink SL wad. There are no loads in the manual that show that wad. Super Handicap Powder generates a lot of pressure with a small volumn of powder. Many of the loads push 11,000 psi.

I would call Winchester or Hodgden Powder first and ask about that sustitution.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

hot springs- I remember the advertisement you mentioned, but keep in mind that each batch of powder made can come out different. Federal used to advertise Red Dot powder was used in their paper hulls. But the Red Dot powder they used was not the same as the Red Dot powder available to us. The OEM powders used by shell manufacturers are typically batches that were intended to be sold to reloaders but came out a bit off. A primary component of powders is ground up trees, and trees tend to be different.

Pat Ireland

9. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

Pat,

You are exactly right about the trees being different. That's why we should ALL use a scale to meausre what our reloaders are throwing out each and every time we sit down to reload. I enjoyed your thoughts and appreciate yur input.

Jeff Purnell from Hot Springs, AR.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Pat recently cut open several AA super handicaps to check shot weight. He should know what wad they are using. I can tell you that I cut one as I am tight! It had a yellow wad?! I did not measure it exactly but it certainly was close to the dimensions of their std white wad! Pat, what did you find? Tom Rhoads

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- I have found both white and yellowish (possibly discolored by powder exposure) wads in Win SH shells. They appear to be identical to the wads available to us. Considering the cost of molds, I would be surprised to discover that Winchester would make different wads for retail than they use in their shells.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

powder for supper handicap

problems with win super handicap
reloading estate hulls which wad to use wichester super handicap

wads used w super handicap powder

winchester aa powder and federal papers

winchester super handicap powder loads

winchester super handicap powder review

winchester super handicap shotgun powder