1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

super duty - V-10

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shoehorn324, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

Any one had a Super Duty Ford with the V-10 ?
    With the higher cost of diesel and the problems with the
    new Ford diesels I'm considering a V-10 just cant get away
    from the new super-dutys its a BIG TOUGH TRUCK ! That new 6.4 is to
    scary for me I dont need a 50,000 dollar lemon.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've had three such engines and never a hint of a problem - plenty of power, reliability, and pretty quiet. I'm entirely satisfied and would recommend it to anyone.

Neil

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I had a v-10 was a good truck but only good if you can stand 10-12 mpg max.
    Have a friend just purchased a ford diesel. Had it a month and already the turbo had to be replaced. He went in to check on his truck and they had the whole cab off so they could get to the turbo. Now he has to worry about rattles. I personally would not take one of fords newer diesels for free. Total piles of junk, to say the least.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was too cheap to buy the "good engine" ..one of our local municipalities also has nothing but v-8 and v10 gas engines in their utility truck fleets and like me they are totally satisfied....It has way more power than I need...more than necessary for any task I will ever require...It is programed to act like a diesel with the 90% of its hp and torque under 3000 rpm and toys with even the most monstrous things I've ever towed...its quiet and effecient and starts on the first tap of the key in the coldest weather...I use synthetic oil and change it about every 7500 miles (once a year for me)and wash my K&N at the same time. Its a great truck and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Super Duty gas to anybody

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have both and like the gassers better for work, they start and heat up quick.

Oil changes are less than half price, parts are half the price.

It'd easy to find a gas mechanic. It's easy to find a gas pump.

Diesel are a $6000 option when new, that will buy alot of gas.

I do like my diesel for long pulls but I'll hop in the gas truck for daily use.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's a very good engine, just a 5.4L with two more cylinders. THEY ARE PIGS though! I think that the diesel would be much more economical in the long run.

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have one in my Excursion. It has been a great engine. Tune up at 100k and nothing other than oil changes and belts. I tow a 35' trailer and a boat and it doesn't even fell like they are behind me.
    Pat Haskins

8. Hooked

Hooked Member

I have a 2000 Excursion with the 2 valve v10 and it has been very good in term s of power and reliability. Early models were prone to spitting plugs, but that problem was addressed in the 2001 model year I believe. If you don't tow enough to justify a diesel, I would whole heartedly recommend the v10 as it is cheaper to operate and more reliable (in my opinion) as a daily driver.

In regard to Ford's 6.4 PS, it is a very quiet and clean motor with decent power and torque; however, it has by far the worst mileage of any of the diesels out there - in the range of 12 - 15 mpg based on real world driving.

threedeuces: the '08 and up Superduties were designed to have the cab off for engine servicing so your friend should worry about squeaks and rattles.

Brian

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a 2002 F250 Crew with the V10, put 60,000 miles on it without as much as an adjustment of any kind. Gas mileage was aboy 13 unless I towed and it went down to 10. Probably not as much power as a diesel but it had enough and it was quiet. I will buy another one soon to pulll a 5th wheel. May have been the best truck I ever owned and I had chev's ( never again) Toyota Tundra, Dodge. The Dodge was second best.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You must weigh the extra gasoline usage against the better MPG of the Diesel engine before using the cost per gallon as a serious factor. Both, with serious towing are pretty hard on fuel.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

The answer is, Chevy or GMC Duramax with Allison Tranny, done deal.

12. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Hi
    First let me say that I live in Canada.
    This is my sons first truck, he is 20 years old.
    HE bought a 2008 250 super duty 6.4 diesel new 14 months ago.
    Right now the truck is sitting at one of the biggest Ford dealers in the country.
    Problems with rear end clunking sound, fuel injector,turbo problems engine heats up, engine revs up to 2000 rpm by itself, engine over heating, 4 wheel wont lock in on the fly sometimes and does not stay in 4 wheel drive, cant fill gas tank all way, it will only take .75 tank full, these are just some of the problems with it right now. There has been many other problems over the last year. Ford has been very reluctant to do anything so far.We have made many calls to Ford Canada
    without getting any results. The shop that has the truck now cant look at for a week even thou we made an appointment.
    This is the kind of treatment you get for $65000 in Canada.
    will they ever sell another veichle to my family? not a chance.
    Should they get any bail out money? no f#@%^$ way.
    Sorry for ranting on, but this has been a bad experience,hopefully you dont make the same mistake.
    Save your money.

13. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

Terminator
    Sounds like you folks have'nt had any luck with any part
    of that super-duty. I thought the big problem was in the diesel engines.
    I have drove a couple new ones with the diesel and was very impressed
    but I keep hearing the same thing once its yours the trouble starts.
    They sure seem like a great truck when you are on the test drive.
    I started out in 1983 when the first 6.9 International diesels my first
    was a F-250 2 wheel drive as they didn't offer them in 4 wheel until late 84 or
    1985, anyway it had a 3.07 gear with a straight 4-speed and it would really fly down the road well over 100 mph. Then a 1986 F-350 4x4 mono beam front
    end straight axle. After that a 1990-1994 and two 97s the last a 2001 had very
    little trouble with any other than general maintenance. All my buddys have had
    03 6.0s on up to the 2008s and they have all had lots of trouble- so much is why I started this to see if any one out there could say all good about the
    6.0s and new 6.4 twin turbos. It sure sounds like most wish they would have bought something else! I'm still a FORD MAN but will buy either the V-10
    or a Dura-Max.

14. mosby1

mosby1 TS Member

alot of municipalities and other fleets are going to the bigger gas engines... they are figuring that reduced initial cost and maintenance costs will make up for the lower fuel economy.

UPS also started to buy some gm 8.1s because they are worried about the increased costs with new emissions req. on diesels. they havent had gas engines in the larger trucks since the 1980s!

Unless if i was towing ALOT i would go gas

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another rarely considerd item is that in the tall mountains the power of that gas engine will suffer more than the Diesel engine. This is a major plus for the diesel with any serious towing time. Never tow? Heck, you'll probably never recover the cost of the diesel over the gas with fuel consumption....Bob Dodd

16. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

I loved my Dodge V 10, it got better millage then my wife's 5.7 gasser. If they hadn't discontinued it I wouldn't be driving a diesel today. I'm going to look at A Ford V 10 now that diesel will always be more expensive then gas.....

17. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well I have not owned one but would make these two comments.

1) the 2008 and 2009 Ford Powerstroke has been a GREAT engine! Ford finally got there crap together and built a great diesel and the truck over all is a giant leap from even the 2007 model truck. I do own a GM Duramax but would buy a new Super Duty.

2) the 2010 model is going to be the LAST year Ford is offering the V10 in the Super Duty line, reason for this is emissions, fuel economy standards and no one is buying them.

Keep that in mind when it comes to resale value.

PS the small block engine is way to small to move such a heavy truck like this, Ford sells so many diesels in that platform that is all they are going to offer. That alone should tell you something.

Dave

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

the main reason the V-10 is being dropped is because Ford has developed a new engine line that is supposed to be worlds above anything else on the street...in power, cleanliness , and fuel economy....I personally am really looking forward to seeing what the new Hurricane series is all about
    [​IMG]

19. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

It is a 4 cylinder and will not be in the Super Duty trucks but will be standard equipment in the F150.

20. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I drive an '06 SHD 4x4 with the v10 for work, I average 3,500 miles a month. This is a company truck and is in for maintenance every 5K miles. I don't hardly tow with it, but I do carry alot of weight (approx 3K lbs) every day. I average 13.5mph, 90% Hiway..I have the truck in right now for the 105,000 maintenance, new shocks, plugs, and 4th set of AT tires..Great truck, only thing replaced on it so far are the shocks (today) and a new throttle-body at 52K..but then I don't pay the bills on it!..LarryB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

new super duty v-10 in it