1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Duty lights question ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by claybuster77, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Dad bought a 2008 Ford Super Duty. The rotary switch for the interior and cargo
    lights has no OFF position. The accessory delay keeps these lights on after the
    ignition turned off. This is not a good thing for a turkey hunter! Does anyone
    have any ideas on how to remedy this Thanks, Dan

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just lift the door handle. The light should go out as the handle is lifted to open. Don't hafta open the door. I am positive it'll work, maybe.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Should be a fuse that controls the interior lights. Pull the fuse.

4. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pulling a fuse might not work, since the interior lights are usually controled by an electronic module via a relay. Look in your owner's manual and locate the interior light/lamp relay. Remove the relay and the interior lights should be inoperative until you plug the relay back in. It will probably set a code in the related module, but it shouldn't hurt anything. If my memory serves me, they were located in a relay/fuse panel underneath the driver's side instrument panel in prior years, and may still be there.

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ever thought of taking the bulb out? Bet that'd work.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

tron is a ford certified mechanic. i think that i would try his idea first, but that's just me.............

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

blizzard

The proper word is "Technician". :)

trapshootin hippie

There's way more than one bulb to pull.

9. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Tron, The dimmer has no OFF position. We have two other Ford trucks an 06 and
    an 03 both have an OFF position. This is a great feature, When heading to the
    woods just rotate the dimmer down and click the lights off. Apparently some
    bean counter at FORD SAVED .39 cents per switch! and got a big bonus! I talked
    to a local Ford parts dept.. They say that is the only switch listed for a 08
    Super Duty. Another problem is if a door ajar senser goes bad the lights will
    stay on until the battery is dead!! Pulling fuses is pain in the a.. we go to
    the woods alot, Hell we live in the woods! Thought about cutting in a toggle
    switch but there goes the WARRANTY!! The accessory delay turns on the dome and
    cargo lights for 30 sec. when the ignition is turned off. Got any ideas?
    Thanks, Dan

10. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Locate the interior lamp relay. Pigtail the relay to the relay panel and simply wire in a toggle switch between the relay and the panel. No permanent modifications to the vehicle wiring would be required and you simply just put the relay back in place when not needed, removing the pigtails. Be sure to interupt the "switched" circuit and not the coil or control circuit. Interupting the control circuit could result in setting a code in the control module. Be sure to use a heavy duty toggle switch for the power cicuit. There is usually a diagram on the outer case of the relay outlining the relay circuits.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You should have bought a GMC truck. Jeff

13. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Quack Shot,

Thank you for your advice, I will look into it.

Jeff,

I would have gladly bought a GMC if they used a straight front axle.

Anyone else have any ideas to solve my problem??

Thanks again, Dan

14. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

15. Pull & Mark

claybuster77, I'm no expert when it comes to big trucks for sure, but why is so important to have a straight front axle. Is it because of the 5 wheel you pull or 4 wheel drive. Not trying to be a smart a--s I would like to know. I just like chevy's or GMC's over Fords but that my choice, not everyones. You got me interested in why. Break-em all. Jeff

16. claybuster77

claybuster77 Member

Jeff,
    If you spend any amount of time offroad like we do, a straight or solid
    front axle is the way to go. An independant front has CV boots that can be
    torn up by sticks, rocks, logging slash etc. A torn boot will let grease out
    and water in. Sooner or later CV joint failure! An independant front rides
    nice but way to many moving parts and maintenance for me.
    Dan

17. Pull & Mark

Thanks for the input. So it is for 4 wheel drive system. I agree with the CV boots. My wife has them on her little front wheel drive car. Not a good system even if you stay on pavement.The heat down here dries them out and then they crack same result bearing loss.I never had a 4 wheel system on my trucks do you need the CV joints if you have a transfer case or a different set-up for the front.I don't need it for towing my boat, and like to spend some time on the blue water in the gulf stream. Just the locking rear end diff.W/ tow package. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

super duty cargo interior light stays on until battery is dead

super duty dome light stays on until battery is dead