1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl Snipers....What gun is this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vpr80, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Saw this link and was curious what gun is he using?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Tough call on this one - so many of these rifles are offered in a 'modular' form today - which allows you to add and subtract accessories ad infinitum.

Also, there is no shot of the right side of the receiver so tough to call. Looks to be a detachable mag fed 308. I presume semi-auto, with a moderator out front.

Mounted with a unique point under the receiver rather than use the equipped bipod. Barrel looks to be free floated as well.

A quick search gave these two - I would think it would be USA made, so first pick would be the LMT rifle, but it looks more like the B & T.

Your choice.

Lewis Machine Tool Company

http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/308-modular-weapon-system-black-barrel.html

Brugger & Thomet

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/switch/bt-apr-30-e.html

Go here for some general images to search through

http://www.google.com/search?q=308+tactical+sniper+rifle&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=UXsyT96DAsTb0QGolKnWBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1233&bih=765

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rick,

While I agree with you in principal I think you make a mistake here - all the companies you mention offer some form of a rifle in a modular configuration (think AR-15, Ar-10 platforms).

H & K, FN, and Barrett have ones that are beyond belief in what they offer.

LMT is perhaps the 'up and coming' Barrettt - think for the new millenium (taking nothing away from Barrett)

B & T is one of the principal arm suppliers in Europe - their footprint is more to the east than towards the west, hence they are not well known here.

Further, I suspect that military boys want only the best. They do not care how well known the company is, they just want tools that work, and work well - remember it's not their money (it's ours). If this were not true Barrett would never have gotten off the ground (same is now true for LMT IMHO).

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The gun is clearly built on a Rem. 700 action, put a magnifying glass on the back of the action and you can see the bolt configuration and safety lever sticking up.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Would not argue with Toolmaker on this one - I noticed that too and ignored it...

If you look at the profile there is no gas system either...

Just wondering about the (detachable) mag...

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

AICS, Accuracy International makes stocks for the 700 action that use detachable magazines.

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Google is your friend....

After Googling "Indianapolis Police SWAT rifles", I came across this article, which supposedly details the manufacturer of said rifle. I guess you have to judge for yourself.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here ya go.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sure looks like the same animal to me. I like it a lot. Guess I'll add it to my wish/dream-on list.

10. KRguns

KRguns TS Member

I believe that the rifle is a Remington MSR.

Jason

11. grntitan

The Remington MSR does not have the same stock as the gun in the sniper pictures. The stock on the sniper gun in the pictures is the XLR and has the XLR Picatinni Rail Kit on the handguard. The action itself appears to be a Remington 700.

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Americans have become way too overwhelmed with this ninja sniper nonsense.

You would have to be a maniac to even contemplate taking a shot into an arena with that high of a concentration of fans. The whole concept is so ridiculous it's scary.

13. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

221, it's all public perception and to believe they are safe with GOD

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

It absolutely is not ridiculous, if a mad gunman started mowing down people in the seats... that police marksman has a duty to stop that guy, should GOD forbid he have a round sail into an innocent, but in the aftermath, there are say 30 civilians wounded or killed, one innocent victim hit who was obviously in the general vicinity of the gunman to get hit... and the bad guy who was dispatched had another 300 rounds on him...

Well it absolutely in this hypothetical situation would suck that the marksman missed and hit a friendly before stopping the madman spraying the crowd with bullets. Worse case scenario, short of a bomb, multiple gunmen enter and start shooting up the stands holding 60,000 plus, children, women, and men!

And this is assuming the very worse, that being they miss and hit a friendly!

15. grntitan

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AAf2qjrOGO0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AAf2qjrOGO0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Mr. noknock1 my GOD comment was in reference to the video....

17. grntitan

DITTO what "noknock1" said. It's not like they are there to take out a guy for sneaking a drag off a doobie. Its a SHTF thing. I would be thankful they are there in that case. Of course most liberal's don't think terrorists are trying to kill innocent civilians. That is what is so ridiculous it's scary.

18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My last trip up North to the white house surprised me. What rifles were these do you reckon. I couldn't get close enough to get a good picture and didn't have a camera with me with the right lenses. Jackie B.
    shootingjack_2008_030314.jpg

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

NUTS....If anyone of your scenarios were to play out, that guy with that rifle would be helpless to do anything but watch.....some of you spend way too much time reading sof magazines.

A sniper has merit during a hostage situation and that's about it, in a civilian setting. In combat it's as much a terror weapon as the other sides snipers are. When a situation rapidly unfolds before their eyes, as it would in a stadium... they are worthless. They would have to have advance intel of who the terrorists were, and neutralize them before they acted.

If not, the damage will happen so fast that by the time the realize it, it will be over.

Ya'll need to give these potential threats a little credit.......when in the last 30 years has a situation like you speak of, happened......terrorists are not going to waste their time in such an operation.

These ninja followers do keep the welfare rates down though.

20. grntitan

Great reasoning there 221. It hasn't happened before so........

You know, they hadn't flown freak'n jet's into the Twin Towers either but they did on 9/11.

What's the potential for lost lives at the Super Bowl as compared to the Towers that the terrorists did "waste their time" on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.