1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sunflowers for doves

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

anyone ever plant lot of sunflowers to attract doves. just bought seeds.want to plant. love to here response

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Check out the above address,plenty of sunflowers at our club

bill

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

yes. They love them.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Sun flowers are great, but alternate several rows of corn so you can have cover. Jeff

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Check out the Clearview seed. It has a dedicated spray that kills the weeds. The main problem with sunflowers is keeping the weeds out. I also use Pennington Seeds "Dove Mix" which is a combination millet/sunflower. The millet is so thick it keeps the weeds out, but the sunflowers grow above the millet. Neat stuff. Doves love both millet and sunflowers. Spray it, chop it, shoot.

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I love to hunt doves and travel out of state to hunt them. Sunflowers are great for attracting doves. I was introduced to them in the late 1960's to 1970's on the most unbelieveable dove hunt I have ever been on. A sunflower farmer named Jim Southern planted several hundred acres of sunflowers in a bend of the Tennessee River near Savannah, Tennessee. The hunt was advertised in Nashville, Memphis and everywhere in between. He harvested a lot of the sunflower seeds but left quite a few standing. The opening day of the hunt over eleven hundred hunters showed up and all but three limited out(three older men got too hot and had to quit hunting). I hunted the field the second day and killed a limit from a sunflower row in the middle of the field (a very poor position) along with several hundred hunters. The hunting dropped off the third day but still got some action. I have been sold on sunflowers ever since. It was said that 23 game wardens worked the field including 2 in boats.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Double Auto, Your story reminds me of my "introduction" to dove hunting at Mongo State park in Indiana. 1980+/- 340 hunters pulled for the drawing. Up to 4 hunters per group. In the parking lot, dogs were runn'in everywhere, hunters spent the night in their campers and pickups (cool..camo everywhere) so they'd be first in line, but then they did a drawing so it didn't matter when you got there if it was before 6:30. Some p'd off guys! I believe they killed 4,700+ doves that day, 2,200 the second day, and less than 1,000 the third. Sounded like WWII, and no one got hurt! I was hooked, and then Ohio approved a season...thank God.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

In the past I used dove pro sow for 8 rows and then 8 rows of corn. I would mow two rows of corn at a time and then three days before opening season I would mow two rows of the dove pro sow. It always did well except when we had a drought. Jackie B.

9. 1oz

1oz Member

We hunt Doves over sunflower fields .We cut strips around and threw the field Have planted mullet around the sunflowers also but you need good bare ground also. We have had some shoots that people would pay big bucks to go to.Going to a field and limiting out in less than and hour and being selective on the birds for the 1st 3 weeks in pretty norm . Our fields in the past were about 10 acres of sunflower normally planted in a good bird flight area with in the neighborhood of a couple 100 acres of corn fields around us. This year we are cutting back since the price of corn has gone up we are doing 5 acre lots instead of 10 . Our farmer friend my neighbor loves to see the enjoyment from us and the group . So he says he is only making 1/2 what corn would bring now.

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

1oz mentioned an important point. Doves prefer clean ground to land on. We disc about 25% of the field for smooth cover. They love to scratch for seed.

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am part of the annual exodus from Iowa on the opener of dove hunting to all surrounding states. We can't kill doves or convicted murderers in this state, but are pretty tough on unborn children.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot with a fellow who owns some land in northern Illinois. He has various food plots planted and a shallow pond. For doves he plants a rather long and maybe 30' wide north-south strip of sunflowers separating corn to the east and sorghum to the west so we can set ourselves into the first couple rows as blinds with our backs to the early morning and late afternoon Sun.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.