1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sump pump recommend

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well looks like the sump pump went out again tonight. I was washing some clothes downstairs and the floor got wet. The sump pump wasn't working. It is getting juice to it. Been bailing water the last 45 minutes.

I believe I moved into this house in either 78, or 79. The first pump lasted a good 25 years. I'm pretty sure we weren't importing Chinese junk that year (1978). Lately it seems I've gotta put one in every couple of years. I haven't pulled the pump yet, but I think it is a 1/3 or 1/2 hp "Whayne". It came from Home Depot.

I'm sure these small pumps are all made in China, and are junk and the most you can expect is a couple year life cycle on one. Correct?

I'll probably replace it tomorrow morning with something that comes from one of the big box stores.

Just wondering if anybody can make a recommendation.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Zoeller M53 and get an extra switch kit for it to keep on the shelf.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shotshell, they sell one of those at the big box stores?

4. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

The pumps that you get at the box stores will only last a couple of years. The two best pumps on the market are zoeller, or hydromatic. I have been a Plumber for 20+ years and have put in many zoeller pumps will little problems. Should last 10 years or more. As a matter of fact just put one in today. Replaced one that was at least 7 years old however what I found (believe it or not) was a mouse skull got in the check valve and had it stuck open. With that the pump was cycling on and off. It then filled the switch area with water however if I had a switch kit that would have fixed it for about 30 bucks. My customer opted to just replace. Hope that helps. Trent

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I was told that Gould were very good pumps.

6. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Me again, I don't think zoeller pumps will be found in any box stores. Just plumbing supply houses. Also after reading your thread again I seen you were washing clothes in the basement so your washer runs into the sump for your pump to pump it out. If that is correct when you replace the pump look at the intake on the bottom and see if there is alot of lint on the old one. You will be suprised how many lower end pumps that I find plugged up with lint. They need to put a fine screen on the bottom because they cannot have any pea gravel get in the impeller. Another plus for zoeller because they can pass a 1/2 inch solid so the lint thing is not a problem. Still you need to clean the bottom intake every once in a while.

7. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I was told a few years ago by a sump pump manufacturer that a sump pump normally lasts 3 to 5 years. When I said mine had quit after 7, they indicated that I had a good one. The problem is you don't know until it is too late that they are not working. A flooded finished basement is the worst way of finding out since most insurance companies do not cover that unless you have a specific sump pump coverage. State Farm used to cover the loss with a special endorsement that cost extra, now they still offer the coverage but it has very specific limits on what they will pay.

I have seen houses that had 2 pumps. One that is a submergable one that sits in the hole and another one that sets outside of the hole (not submergable) but has a pipe that sucks water from the hole. Of course your electricity can go out and neither will work (unless one has a battery backup which they do make).

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you have a finished basement and require a sump pump, you better have a battery backup. I caught mine a few times just about ready to do damage to the finished area when my pump when out and didn't know it. It was enough of a lesson for me to spend the extra cash. I bought mine at Lowes for $140 called "The Basement Watchdog". Its a small 1000gph battery pump. The price of course is without the deep cycle battery. I have been using the submersible Wayne 1/2HP sump pumps and only get between 5-7 years out of them. I'll have to try the Zoellers next.

9. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

The best you're going to find at a big box store is a Flotec. Don't get one of the floppy float models, get this one......the upgrade in price is well worth the money. We buy this model at Home Depot.

http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialProduct_fl_su_su_E100ELT.aspx

10. ouch

ouch Member

Not trying to steel this thread, But wanted to ask another sump pump question. Are the Water Powered back up sump pumps any good for when the power goes out?

I am on city water. Praise GOD we do not have many blackouts, But I'd like the assurance.

If you can recomend a brand would be good also. Thanks,Richard

11. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Richard, I have only installed one water powered back-up pump. It did not pump enough gallons per hour to keep her basement from flooding. The spec. said it was less GPH that the electric pump she had but we thought it would work. We were wrong and that one time it tried to work ended up costing here around 400.00 for the city water it was using to try to pump, not counting damage to her basement. The best back-up pump by far is the Basement watchdog. It tests its self every once in a while and will alarm when it is pumping (so you know that your original pump has failed) or will alarm if it detects problem with battery system. Hope my imput helps both of you. Trent

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for the info guys.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Trent--You make me feel better about my choice of pump backups. I went with the lower cost model because of price. I'm glad you as a plumber say its well thought of. They had some systems that were over $300. I was a tighta$$ as usual. :D

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have been living in my home since 1976, it was made in 1938. The house is all plaster, built like a tank. One day the city sends some guy with a shirt and tie, a hard hat,and a clip board, telling all of my neighbors and myself that if we ever sell our property we are now required by the city to install a sump pump, as the entire neighborhood homes were built without them.

My eldely neighbor who was the first homeowner on the block showed the city rep and all the neighbors a paper from the city stating that sump pumps are not required in our area, and the city would never require us to have them installed.

She was 97 at the time and the rep was about 35. She told the rep, Sonny, peddle your BS somewhere else, as I have the papers to prove you and the city are wrong. The guy did not say a word as he turned red, and all the neighbors started clapping and yelling at the guy.

Steve Balistreri

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I've had great luck with LIBERTY brand. They make old-school cast iron pumps that you can rely on.

-Gary

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

sears sells one for 149 dollars and it has a lifetime replacement warrenty replacement. They give you no hassle with the replacemtns and the replacement is free. best deal i could find.

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

LOL, when your basement is flooded are you going to be happy getting a new version of the pump that just failed and destroyed your stuff?

-Gary

18. ouch

ouch Member

Trent,Thank you for the reply. I have lived in this house next to a creek since 1960. The basement always has a damp feel to it and water seeps thu the floor cracks in extremely wet condions (Like this year) so I've never tried to "finish " the basement. My furnace,Waterheater, Water softner ect. are there along with my reloading stuff.

3 times since 1960 it has flooded, First time was a power outage during the rainy season,And the other 2 times sump pump failure.Since then I've installed a 2nd sump pump as a backup, But I'm always concerned when we have a big thunder storm and I'm at work.

Thanks again,Richard

19. porky

porky TS Member

I have an old house made back around 1800. I had the basement dug out years ago and made sure that it was all sealed with concrete to prevent any moisture from seeping into the house. I regret that I never insisted on a gravity drain incorporated into the French drain system. I am glad that I didn't allow the contractor to place openings between the footings and the first layer of cement blocks. He said any water that gets in will be able to drain out that way. In truth, I would have had to go back and fill all the holes with concrete to prevent any water from entering at those holes. Sealing out the water has made all the difference. But I do wish that I have had a gravity feed drain incorporated in the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.