1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sump pump pit gravel or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Replacing sump pump today. I cleaned out the pit which had a 50-year accumulation of sediment & gunk. The liner itself is a clay liner with solid bottom. It appears in good shape. I intend to use a submersible pump. Do I place the pump directly on floor of the liner or add gravel and put the pump on the gravel? So much junk in there before I don't know what original intention was. Since it is all cleaned out now, I am thinking no gravel needed. What do the experts here say?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The rocks will allow a place for sediment to accumulate.

Gunk in the impeller is probably the number one cause for pump failure, so you can do the math.

A few inches of stone (even a bag of river rocks from a store like Lowes or HomeDepot) is NOT a bad idea.

Set the pump on top of some bricks or a flat, solid concrete block laid over the stone.

New pits are typically wrapped in a fabric to block sediment from even entering the pit...

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Zoeller 53B sitting on a patio block in the pit. Perfection.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I USUALLY SET THE PUMP ON 4 BRICKS W/SPACE UNDERNEATH FOR SEDIMENT.

GB
    DLS

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I USUALLY SET THE PUMP ON 4 BRICKS W/SPACE UNDERNEATH FOR SEDIMENT.

GB
    DLS

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I set mine up on a couple of paving brick.

7. ctreay

ctreay Member

I have a couple of bricks under mine.

ctreay

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Skip the gravel. I recommend an old-school cast-iron pump by Liberty and "The Brick" to match.

-Gary

gw22_2008_030383.jpg

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

While you are at it buy another pump exactly like the one you are putting in the pit. Rig both so the check valve is above floor level. Maybe even a check valve on the spare pump so all you have to do is loosen one pipe clamp and set the new one in in an emergency. Just good planning as far as my thoughts go. Bill

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Don't put anything in the bottom of your pit you don't want the pump to spit out. I cut the bottom out of a plastic five gallon bucket and set my pumps on that if the pit doesn't have a synthetic bottom. Also the switch on the pump is the deciding factor on how much water your pit will carry before it kicks on. I like the pumps with the slide switch over the floating and attached to the pump with a cord switch. My reasoning is that over prolonged use the pump will torque itself around in the pit and sometimes the floating switches will come in contact with the sides of the pit and stop their functioning. I hate to say it but you will become an expert on the use of a sump pump, the changing out of a burned out sump pump and what kind of pump you need for your application. The poster who says to have a backup is not wrong at all. I used cheap pumps for years but now buy the lifetime warranty ones that last about three times longer than a normal pump. I hope you have good luck with it and don't have to deal with multiple pumps as I have had to do. I know a couple of ways to keep the water level low but one has to modify the switches of the pumps. PM me if you want to know how to do that. Dan

11. new loader

new loader Member

OK guys, thanks to all for info and suggestions. I did not put any gravel at the bottom, just set the pump on a patio block. I think it will be easier to clean in the future without digging out the rocks. The bottom is smooth, so will just scape out the silt and be done.

Two things I learned: Could not find a USA made pump. Simer, Wayne, Coleman, Capmbell-Hausfeld, Barracuda, everything the store had was made in China. There may be USA pumps out there, but not when I needed one. I have a battery operated Ace-in-the-Hole backup, that may have been used 1 time during a power outage. I do occasionally hit the "test" button to make sure it still works, but never use it anymore since I now have a generator to power the main pump. I discovered that the pipe above the check valve was full of silt hard as concrete, so it wouldn't have worked even if called upon.

Old pump replaced probably just needed a new switch, but since I had it all apart, I put in all new. Old pump was plain-jane Simer installed 10-93.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best stone for sump pit

bottom of sump pit bricks

dirt and gravel pumps

do you put gravel in sump pump container

gravel sump

putting sand in a sump pit

replacing clay sump pump liner

what size gravel sump pump