1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Summer Brimmed Hat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by guybo_4, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guybo_4

guybo_4 Member

I just had a minor surgery to remove a skin cancer on my ear. I have always worn a ball type cap when shooting, but now need to go to a brimmed hat. I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum as to what works best. I want to ensure the hat allows airflow and covers my ears. Thanks for any input!

2. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

Try this Stetson Airway Breezer: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stetson-Airway-Breezer-Hat/750877.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dstetson%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D13%26y%3D9&Ntt=stetson&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I saw a lot of guys wearing them at the Grand. They looked cool - and looked cool!!

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Love my Tilley Airflo.........not cheap but worth every penny to me.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

5. railman

railman Member

Tilley makes a fine line of hats. UV resistant and h20 resistant. The one I use has a flap that covers the neck. It folds into the hat in it's own pocket. Hat looks great. Not inexpensive but worth the $$. Comes with a heck of a warranty. .

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

This company was started by a guy that developed skin cancer and it specializes in clothing for major league sun protection. Their stuff is light and has SPF of 100 or higher. I've worn their light weight shirts, pants and hats for years.

This is their collection of hats: Sun Precautions by Solumbra. I use their long-brim athletes hat with the neck shield or their ventilated cotton sun hat in the summer. Well made clothing..worth the price. Hats are much lighter in weight and cooler than Tilly's cotton numbers.

Keller

7. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I was at the sportsmans show last year and bought myself what is called a soaker hat. It is a nice wide brimmed hat that kind of resembles a Panama style hat. Open to let air flow through and designed and made out of a material that you can soak it in water to help cool you off on those hot days. I have no regrets about buying it at all and it was under $50.00.

Jim Bradbury

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have a Magellan I got a Academy that was about $30 but it was on sale, had it for about 5 years still in good shape, wear it daily

9. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Also had a bunch of skin cancers removed in the last 5 years. Love to dove hunt. Bought a Henschel brand broad brimmed hat in camo (they also come in solid colors). Great quality hat that has a piece of material in the top of the hat to keep the sun off your head. There is a large circle of mesh between the top material patch and the brim that allows air to flow around your head. It has been used 4 years on numerous hunts and shooting clays. It stood up to Oklahoma winds, rain and used in up to 108 degree temperatures. Still looks like new. A google search can find you some good prices on these quality hats.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hit the link to Rod's and click "HATS."

-Gary

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Tilley, lifetime guarantee that I have used several times with no problems.

jim brown

12. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Also would recommend the Tilley hat. Would have used one for hunting but they don't make them in camo. Both Tilley and Henschel come in sizes up to 2XL.

x

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Its really hard to buy a hat by mail. I got my large brim hat at a place I don't like to go to. Dick's. It was 29.00 and it has a good brim. I got two of them. One for trap and another one for working the fields. One stays clean and the other one well it gets dirty.

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

I bought a Baily U-Rollit sometime in the early 80s. It ain't pretty now but it's intact. It's been in a lot of cow tanks to cool me off. The weave is open enough to let a breeze in.

15. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Tilly for me, packable and washable! Ken

16. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

+1 for the Henschel Brand Breezer style. Get the 4" brim. Its the most rugged hat I've ever owned. Very cool in the summer and good coverage for those sensitive skin areas.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tilley hats are to hot for me. I buy straw golf hats. They are cool and light. i also had the same problem with my ears, and the golf hats solved the problem.

18. Garry

Garry Active Member

I am a huge fan of the Sun Tamer hat. See link above

19. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have had a few basil cell areas removed and it is absoulutely no fun. I've worn a baseball hat since way back when I actually played baseball and am paying for it now.

Most shooters are pretty picky about their hats and I was loathe to change what had worked for 40 plus years. That said, the Tilley is the only brim hat I have found that lets you forget you are wearing a brim hat. No problems with wind, and it is just as cool as a mesh White Flyer cap.

The Tilley website has a good primer on sizing. I was lucky and got it right the first time. Buy it from Amazon and they have no problem with you returning it for another size.
    [​IMG]

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

try some hats on before you buy one: they all fit differently. some rest on the top of your head and some fit by the headband. also, depending on your hat and your stance, the brim might touch you or the gun. but it's a distraction you'll become accustomed to! good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.