1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sullivan Brothers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My father was on Okinawa, another brother was in Anzio, and a third brother was killed at Tarawa. They were all in war zones during WW ll. What can you tell me about the Sullivan brothers? I was speaking to an older man about the war, and he mentioned after the Sullivan brothers, brothers could not serve together? Anyone know what he meant?
    Steve Balistreri

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Steve,

The Sullivan Brothers home town is Waterloo, Iowa. Here is a little history on them .

Bill

3. senior smoke

Bill:
    Thanks for the information. That is so sad. As a parent I can only imagine the heart ache the parents went through. I need to rent the movie if they have it. On a personal note,my grandmother even though she lost a son in the war, was very proud of her boys, and our country. My grandparents were not born in America, they did become American citizens. My elderly aunt told me that my grandmother worried everyday when they were away. When she got the news that one of her boys was killed, she said she was never the same. She mentioned she had stars in the window when her boys were in the service, and also helped out in the war effort in other ways. My father would never talk about his experiences. All, he ever said was when kids get out of high school, they should go into the service for at least two years, as it would help most of them.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

The US Navy have named destroyers after the Sullivans, USS The Sullivans DD 537 and DDG 68

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    My inlaws live in Cedar Falls IA, and is a ten minute drive from the Sullivan Brothers museum. Nice museum for a small town. A good "one tank" trip if you're close enough. -powderburn

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

If memory serves me right The Blue stars were if you had family in service and Gold Stars if they had been killed.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I live in Waterloo, Iowa, and we also have a Sullivan Center named in there honor.

Losing 5 sons all at one time really had to have hurt. I can't really imagine the grief that the parents must have suffered through.

I put up another URL above for anyone who would like to read about them.

Hauxfan!

8. senior smoke

So my understanding is after the Sullivan brothers were killed, no two or more brothers or sisters can serve in a war zone in the same unit or on the same ship?
    Steve

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Steve,

Here is more info. You can click on the nine references for added info also.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It use to be common for family members to serve in the same unit. As I recall several family members were killed with Custer at the Big Horn.

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

After WW11 family members serving, even in the same theatre, was restricted. About 1990 when the fiasco in the desert started, that restriction was thrown out with the garbage, now.... moms, dads, sons, daughters, siblings are all fair game.

It used to be referred to as, the "Sullivan Act"....I'm not sure if that is the correct name, but nonetheless.

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

If you research the Bedford Boys from Bedford, Va. you will feel the same respect and admiration you feel for the Sullivans. Bedford is a small farm town in the foothills of Virginia. Before WWII, many of the boys joined the National Guard to help raise money for their families. By some quirk of fate, their unit ended up on Omaha Beach on D-Day.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

WS-1, thanks for mentioning the Bedford Boys. I had never heard of em until I read your post, then I went and did some research. Heart breaking.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A movie tribute was made about them in 1944 titled "The Fighting Sullivans".

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There were similar large scale losses with the 37th Division. There are small towns scattered through out Ohio, that have monuments recognizing the loss of the majority of their younger male generations to WWI and WWII. Some communities were really hit hard.

They also have the most MOH Recipients for any division.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga- Yes, several members of the same Indian families were killed at the battle known as the Little Bighorn.

Pat Ireland

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pat: Do you know that for a fact? Names, tribes? I would like to look that information up. Have you done the research?

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga- No, I have not research the specific question but Indians typically clustered into smaller family groups. Their primary allegiance was to these groups and not to the larger tribe. Many groups of the same tribe had difficulty commentating with each other. Several of the "tribes" were designations made up by the military and not the Indians.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content