1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suiteable gun for bunker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

Would my 32" Caesar Guerini sporting be ok to shoot bunker with? I'm thinking of ordering a couple of tighter choke tubes for it and go to Fairfield one of these days. Any input from the more knowlegeble shooters out there would be greatly appreciated.

ec90t

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Listen to Jerry. Jake

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jerry&Jake,

Being that I'm not married these days I don't have to go through all of that BS! He he he. I really like shooting my Guerini sporting and don't feel the need to spend money on another gun if I don't have to. I won't be shooting bunker enough to justify it any way. I was just curious if it would be a suitable gun for shooting bunker.

On the other hand, I guess I could just use my 870! Shucking shells for bunker may just be the ticket anyhow!

ec90t

4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

If it shoots relatively flat then go for it. A gun that shoots high is not ideal for bunker. And don't worry about the chokes, if you've got mod/full or im/full then you're good. if you can't get to a bunker then shoot a round of skeet but only stations 3/4/5 and try to take the bird as quickly as possible.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

As one whose second childhood involves a love of shooting bunker (a YOUNG shooter's game), you should do fine with your 32" sporter. As a sporter, it is likely quick and nimble. Screw in tight and tighter, and have fun.

If you reload, 7/8 oz of 7 1/2's at 1300 fps or so will work. If not, try some light handicap remmy or winnie (one ounce at 1290). You can locate Bunker loads, if you look around.

A delightful gun I have tried at Bunker is the 30" Browning XS Skeet with tight chokes. Also, a trial run with a 30" Winchester Select Sporter was surprisingly successful.

I use my K-80 with its tried and true 30" flat rib barrel, IMOD/FULL chokes and have a ball. I have shot some very good scores, and actually took a silver medal at a PTO match with it. Old age and infirmities kicked in during the last box and cost me the gold. Another day, another opportunity.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Eric ... if your comfortable with that gun than shoot that gun on the bunker. Regarding your choke question all I can ask is what chokes do you currently have? Many bunker shooters will disagree with me but if you want to use even an Imp/Cyl & Mod would be alright but preferably a Lt/Mod or Mod on the first barrel to a Imp/Mod or tighter on the second should do you fine. The big thing that you must remember though is to shoot and try and keep on shooting. You will see a difference in load and choke combinations that you will try and when you find one that works blast away and enjoy.

BTW ... you dont have to use a 24gm load to shoot bunker. I would strongly suggest a good 1oz load of 8's shooting about 1290fps or basiclly something equal to one of the many available game loads currently on the market.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

LUMPER is absolutely right about the ammo. The main thing about the 24 gram load is its light recoil. The Remmy promo 1290 one ouncers thump you pretty good. The Light Handicaps seem to be milder, especially the Nitro. Keeping your head on the stock and keeping the gun going after the target for a possible second shot is cardinal in this sport.

I prefer good ammo and tight chokes for Bunker over the promo loads because the second shot may be in the next time Zone! Most promo ammo is good to 45 yards or so. The second shot at your Bunker target will be considerably over 45 yards. These puppies are FAST.

I know of young Intl' shooters using more open chokes. These kids also shoot very quickly. The coaches insist on them getting a shot off in under 3/4 second. This is at the limit of the average person's reflexes. A good Intl' shooter is an ELITE ATHLETE, not a casual shooter. Lotsa time and money tied up in these kids.

Since I have shot Skeet since 1958 and it is my first love, I typically shoot sustained lead. At Bunker, that means long shots. I prefer IMOD or LF and FULL for this reason. I often make "wonder" shots. The other shooters "wonder" if I am going to shoot! LOL

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for all the help guy's! I'll order a couple of Briley or Comp-N-Choke tubes and give it a try!

ec90t

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Sustained lead for the bunker? Hmm. Jake

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just another thought to help you on your journey ...

Begin practicing with single shot only. Yeah I know you can take 2 shots per target but begin and learn to break them with 1 shot if possible. When you make it to a shoot off all you will be able to take is 1 single shot per target.

Recently I have slipped into the bad habit of relying on the 2nd shot and it has really screwed my head up. I am currently going back to single shot training to get my average back up and get back to the mode of single shot target shooting.

Take it for what it is worth but set yourself a goal of say 70% or 80% single shot breakage before beginning any 2nd barrel shooting and in the long run it will pay off big time and also dont get discouraged. When starting out with the bunker you will be lucky to break 5 or 8 or even 10 on a consistent basis but do not worry, once you get the swing of it your averages will climb.

Jake ... yes and no, you could also say either or and be correct. When you know where your gun shoots and when you see the target just right your instincts take over and before you know you must ask yourself what happened to the bird cause it is either falling to the ground in pieces or there is just a POOF in the sky where it used to be.

The only way to honestly answer your Hmm ... is to say whichever works best for you as a shooter. With all the varying angles and elevations the birds fly it is hard to estimate and keep a constant sustained lead from bird to bird to bird as you shoot threw the round ... instinct is what I would suggest and what normally gives me the bestest results but as of late my instinct has been screwing me big time.

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

shoot the first bird right now and if you miss you will still have a chance with the second barrel.if you are a deliberate,or careful,shooter you had better be good with that first shot because the second shot may well be out of range. (from erstwhile shooter and long time spectator)

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Being deliberate or careful will only help you to miss the bird ... be aggressive and smash it.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I appreciate all the info, guys. I shoot for recreational purposes and want to shoot a little bit of everything and I always wanted to try bunker.

One last question. Are ported tubes ok for bunker? I like the pattern that Comp-N-Chokes throw, but I don't want to affend anyone.

ec90t

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Screw em ... shoot what you desire to shoot. Do you affend anyone when you shoot them during regular trap or anything else?

Get the chokes you desire and if somebody is offended then they have more problems than your ported chokes.

15. spritc

spritc Active Member

Eric, I think you should stay with your Marlin goose gun!

Steve

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Steve,

I haven't had that gun out in years! I shouldn't say tha that, it won't fit into that gun cabnet that I got from you a few years back. So it is always out. Maybe I'll stop by and shoot a round of wobble with it. He he he.

Lumper,

I usually affend a lot of people with my shooting! Just ask them after I hit a 4th shot on an annie!

ec90t

17. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

several years ago one of the army team was shooting an 1100 with a 28 inch barrel modified choke. he was holding his own else he would not have been on the team.

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

To go back to the original question.... a typical bunker gun is 30" choked .25/.35... Although porting is now allowed it really is not necessary because the 24 GM loads don't have the recoil of the 32 GM ATA loads. The question of ported chokes reminds me that it has not been addressed in this country but I understand that in europe they are banned. I believe that the interpretation is that the barrel has to be ported. The original ban on porting stems from the use of Cutts Compensators so I can understand the claim that ported chokes are probably illegal.

I am finding that I am shooting better with shorted and lighter barrels. I can't push a 32" barrel.

TB

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Depending on the size of the shooter 32" will be fine. Brett Ericson recommends a 32" gun for all around shooting to include shooting bunker trap but than again it depends on the size of the shooter. I honestly do not think a 5'0" 110lb shooter could swing a 32" gun and I dont think a 28" or 30" gun would swing as well as a 32" gun with a 6'4" 220lb shooter.

The gun itself will all depend on what the shooter is comfortable with and can shoot well ... there is no actual bunker gun ... any gun can shoot bunker.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A little background on my Caesar Guerini. It weighs just a tad bit over seven pounds and is lighting quick to the point.The gun feels as if you are swinging a short barreled 20ga instead of a long barrel 12ga. It shoots 55/45 and is at home on both the sporting clays range and skeet field. I have owned a lot of Browning and Beretta O/U's and they feel like a club compared to this Guerini. The trigger is awesome and the wood fit (for me) is almost perfect.

The only downside of this gun is the recoil is a little heavy when using 1 1/8oz loads. I intend to correct this this winter with the help of Ken Rucker when his bump-buster w/ the comb becomes available.

I figure that I'll use the STS 1 oz 1290fps shells to start with (so I can hit something) and then graduate onto the perscibed 24 gram loads.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.