1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??Suggestions to repair rust damage???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chiefjon, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I ended up with a used barrel that has had some rust damage to the mono bloc area. The damage does not affect the fit, function or appearance of the barrel when mounted and forearm in place. However, I now want to sell the barrel and friends tell me the rust scars are an issue. The barrel was in a case that was in a flood and the damage is clearly visable.

What is the best way to have the damage repaired. I have been thinking about having it coated by Metalife. Any suggestions appreciated.

JON

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

JON- The rust pits can be an issue lowering the value of the barrel, but what you are selling is a barrel with some surface damage. I would not try to disguise what you have for sale. I would sell the barrel as is and point out the surface pits to a potential purchaser.

You might gain a few additional dollars by disguising the damage but these dollars will be gone in a few days. Your personal integrity will stay with you throughout your life.

Pat Ireland

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Break Free and fine steel wool. Surface rust lifts right off. the break free gets under the rust. In the case of pits, at least you can get the rust out.

HM

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've got Rust on my 1100 Receiver. The steel wool and breakfree won't scratch the blueing and make it look worse? Dave

5. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

DTrykow: Be sure to use 0000 steel wool and rub LIGHTLY. Use in conjunction with any light penetrating oil, like Kroil, Corrosion X, etc. I cleaned up an old k98 mauser that way and the inprovement was remarkable.

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I like to use bore cleaner (Hoppes or similar) and a brass brush that looks like a toothbrush. Works well and won't damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.