1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions on gun for trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by J Ernst, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Ernst

J Ernst TS Member

I'm in 4H trapshooting and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what type of gun to purchase for trap. A field gun or a trap gun? I've been told that a Remington 870 is a good gun, but have no idea what to look for...is it basically personal preference? Right now I'm just borrowing a 4H gun, but i would like to buy my own in the near future.

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What are you useing in 4H now.

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

[​IMG]

Shoot what you have for now. When you get serious, this is the best place for advice.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

See if you can find a used gun that you can shoot before you buy. Find one that doesn't hurt you when you shoot it, and breaks a lot of targets. If you are on a budget a Remington 1100 Trap Gun is a good choice. HMB

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

A 870 Trap Gun might be a good choice for your first gun. You should be able to pick one up for around $400 dollars more or less. Most new Trap shooters get out of the sport after several years so you would still have a gun that could be used for hunting or if you stay in the sport you have a good gun to trade up with if you decided to try doubles. Automatics are softer shooters but require maintenance, as in cleaning, on a very regular basis and in addition are a little more picky about reloads. Look for one with tight head space, good bluing and wood that has not been abused. Parts are easy to come by and easy to install. Try one a see if it shoots where you look that is breaks a majority of the birds you shoot at from 16 to 22 yards. Good luck. Hope this helps. Post-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.