1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions on cleaning oxizidized shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nanuk, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've obtained some shot that I assume has been wet and has white oxizidation.
    I would appreciate any input on a "simple" process for trying to clean it up--(possibly flush with a solvent)? I'm unable to do any type of tumbling (other than put it in a large jug and shake or roll it). I've read on TS that after cleaning ,I should re-graphite--have been hunting around for graphite haven't found any yet------or should I just use it as is!!!!

Thanks for reading and any replies
    Bob

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You can buy a small squeeze tube of powdered graphite at most hardware stores or from a locksmith. Try Home Depot.

Eric

3. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would just shoot it. I was given several bags of shot that had oxidized and I did not notice any difference in my scores.
    Fred Wiedemann

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put the shot in a wheelbarrow (about 25 lbs) top it off with water about an inch deeper than the shot add a pint of vinegar or other weak acid. Agitate the barrow back and forth a few times, let set for about 1/2 hour, decant vinegar/water off, rinse with fresh water and decant again. Take the washed shot out and dry it in thin layers in the sun. Graphite can be added once dry. The graphite will keep the oxidation from reoccuring and it help the shot flow through your loader so it is important. I use flake graphite in a vibratory case cleaner in 10 Lb batches, I suppose you could use a jug and the Armstrong method.

Flake graphite is a high temp lubricant and also is used by pipe fitters. Try the Joseph Dixon Crucible Co. for a source.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can buy a pound of graphite from any John Deere dealer or even a Southern States Farm supply if you have one nearby. Almost any large Farm Store should carry it. They use it on manure spreaders, so they should have plenty in and around DC.

A little goes a long way. If you don't have much to do, any hardware store, Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot should have some in a small tube near the locks and Keys.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it, I load oxidized shots before, didn't cause any ill effects. I still miss those "almost" straight away birds once in awhile. :)

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And....you guys on here had me believing lead was harmless.

Used in seed planters.

8. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I would run it down a tube about 3/4 inch in diameter and about 2-3 feet long at about 1,200 fps. That would be the easiest solution.

If you're nervous about the dust, wear a mask and keep the fan on you when handling it.

HBT

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Just load it and shoot it. The targets will not know if it is oxidized or not.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

it makes a mess in a reloading machine. Seed planter /manure spreader --same thing in DC. The vinagar in the milk jug should work . But will reoxidize fast if you dont put the graphite on soon

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

The white layer that forms on lead shot is actually a carbonate. It is formed by oxidization of lead. Graphite is a good lubricant but it will not help much in preventing oxidation (loss of electrons). Keeping shot away from another compound that will accept the electrons (water) will prevent oxidation.
    I would shoot the discolored shot and make sure none have stuck together to make clumps that can block your shot drop tube.

The dust is toxic. Wash your hands after loading it and do not breath while you load the stuff. But if you do want to breath while loading, don't worry much. It typically takes a lot of exposure over time to get the lead levels to a point where it becomes serious. I do fear that after many years of loading, the level of lead in my rear end has become high and I can't seem get it out. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Pat Ireland

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have cleaned more than 3 thousand pounds of shot taken from a lake.

It had some silt and some oxide on it.l I turned it in water in a small mixer, then spread on a tarp to dry. After that back in the mixer for graphit, use a half teaspoonto 50 lbs.

The John Deere graphite is the cheapest. I got a quart bottle for about 3 bucks.

Too much graphite gives a dull finish.

HM

13. dverna

dverna Active Member

Pat,
    If you stand while reloading, the lead will settle in your feet.

Although a lead foot may get you a speeding ticket, your rear end will stop getting heavier. The lead that has accumulated there will take many years to leach out as it is not very soluble.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how do you clean lead shot
how to clean lead shot
how to clean old lead shot
how to graphite lead shot
how to put graphite on led shots
lubricating lead shot

powdered graphite for lead shot

to much graphite on lead shot