1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions on a gun change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadendout, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

I have been shooting a nice Browning Superposed pigeon trap gun and find as I shoot more and more rounds per week it kicks pretty hard. It has started to effect my shooting. I was thinking about changing guns, maybe going to a Citori plus trap gun from the 90's. Any experiences or opinions on the gun? It seems to have the features I would like to have in a gun. I am in central NJ if anyone has any offerings and I could see or try it FTF.Keith Nj Shore.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Maybe look up Ken Ricker and get a bump buster recoil absorbing system.

3. jhoward

jhoward Member

Rucker...not Ricker....

4. Garry

Garry Active Member

Click on Ken Rucker's website above.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is have the gun fit checked. Do you have a good recoil pad installed? If not, have one installed and have the pitch checked and adjusted at the same time. Next, try some lighter shells. 1 ounce at 1200 fps will breat anything on a trap field, and kick a lot less. I have a Citori Plus and it is a nice gun, but mine shoots really high, even at the lowest adjustment. Mark

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Citori Plus has more potential. Not only does it have a recoil absorber, but it can be adjusted to fit you. If you add a Jones/100 Straight recoil pad adjuster to the mix ($50-$60), you'll have a gun that can be made to fit you "perfectly" which can further reduce the felt recoil. There are still a few out there in excellent condition. When you're checking one out, look to see if the rib is straight. Being made of aluminum (the rib), it will be a fair indicator of the type of handling/wear the gun has had. They (30"'ers) are awesome doubles guns and excellent handicap guns back to 25-26 yards (further for talented folks). Good luck.

Bob Falfa

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Are you getting kicked in the shoulder or face? Citori plus of course will help the shoulder but the only way it will help the face is if it magically fits.

If you like the ole pigeon, I would just do a Rad or Gracoil on the end if thats the issue.

8. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

There is always alot who disagree, but all I had to do to mine was lengthen
    forcing cones; went from sore in 50 rounds to shooting 400 in a day. Could
    also add a G2 Shockmaster for ultimate reduced recoil. I like the swing of
    the superposed.
    Gary Owen

9. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

I thought of adding a Gracoil or Rucker unit to the stock but figured a plus had more adjustability to it. I first started to shoot 12 years ago and had a Superposed Broadway Trap. It kicked as well and I had a similar problem with feeling the effects of recoil.I reloaded shells and loaded 1 ounce and 7/8 ounce loads. It did help a bit. I flinched back then from recoil and sight picture problems. I put a morgan adjustable pad on it and had good luck with solving the sight flinch. The pigeon trap gun I am shooting now has a 1 inch slice out of the stock that has been reattached with an aluminum spacer in between the wood pieces. I wonder if the PO ( wifes grandad) had a recoil reducer or if he used to take the piece out in winter to adjust for bulky clothing. It has the original white line pad which I am sure could be replaced. I wonder if I can take off the extra stock piece and mount a gracoil or Rucker system in that space without taking any more stock wood off of it.Can I get the same benefit of an adjustable comb by having a but plate with side to side adjustment?

10. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

One comment I'd make about the Citori Plus - my partner used to have one - is that it's noisy to shoot. Whenever I'd pick up her gun to shoot a round, I could not get over the noise from the recoil reducer that came through my head each time I pulled the trigger.

It didn't seem to bother her, but I found it disturbing as could be.

Try one before you buy it.

Tony

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Keith,

As was suggested above, I too suspect that "how" you shoot, your "shooting form" is involved in the objectionable recoil you are experiencing - your gun mount, how the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder and/or the relationship of your head and cheek to the stock's comb.

I suspect that your stock dimensions may not be allowing you to use a good form, which can easily cause significantly more felt recoil.

The Superposed is not a light weight gun and you are shooting lighter shells so you have done one of the easiest things to reduce felt recoil.

I agree that you should visit a good stock fitter. He would identlfy any flaws in your shooting form and teach you an improved form, then change your stock's dimensions so you could use it. (You would need to remember the form when you get home however, because your gun would be fitted to that form and to an extent, to that form only.

If you cannot visit a GOOD stock fitter (other members would be able to recommend one), consider ordering a copy of my book (URL above).

Rollin

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I Agree with Gary Owen. I had 2 Superposed guns. I had them both fitted. Then I had the forcing cones lengthened on each. That was the end of the recoil issues.

Tom

13. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

A XT with the invector-plus barrel/choke is like shooting a BB gun compared to a Superposed.

14. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

Ok so I am going with the Ken Rucker recoil reducer with the lop adjustment. Thanks for all of the input. I will let you know what happens. I might get the gun backbored as well. Maybe lengthen the forcing cones. Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.