1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Shipping Gun for repairs with UPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I am about to ship my gun to Krieghoff for an "Annual" service. Does anyone have any suggestions that may keep the hassels to a minumum. From what I have read since the gun is being sent in for repairs it does not have to be shipped from a FFL dealer. Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Thanks,
    Jim Bradbury

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Best suggestion is to *not* use UPS. Way too much inconsistency as far as how they "interpret" their firearms shipping regs. Also, your chances of collecting on an insurance claim are just about nil.

I've tried 'em all; USPS works the best!

3. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Jim, Last summer I shipped my Model 12 To Wright's Gunsmithing. I disassembled and wrote gun parts in the product description at UPS. No problem. I have done it this way a couple of times. Hope this helps. Joe

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have sent guns via UPS for warranty work. I had told the clerk that I was getting the gun fixed and she didn't hassle me. I can see where other clerks may be too dumb to know the rules and hassle you.

I had to return a new gun this past summer, due to some defects, and the gunshop sent me a pre=paid UPS label. The clerk didnt hassle me about shipping it out.

i think as long at the "to sender" has some sort of business name, the clerks won't hassle you. If it was just the person's name on the label, they may think you were trying to send the gun to a private party via a private party sale.

Printing out the regs sometimes work, sometimes it doesn't, with unknowledgable clerks.

5. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

I've used USPS with minor problems sometimes. There are times you have to tell the clerk to look at the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual), section 20 to refresh themselves on their own regulations, and these are further clarified in the Gun Control Act of 1968 (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf)

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I quit UPS, too many damaged goods, too much hass;e. Fed Ex - quick, cheaper and they ask if you are shipping to an ffl but have never asked to see it. One t ime I got a new clerk and she got a mgr and he said no prob. Most recent was a shotgun from Idaho to South carolina, only took from friday to Tuesday and was only $24 insured

7. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I shipped a shotgun to Moneymaker for a new rib. I went to FedEx. They told me that it had to go overnight, and with insurance, it came to $170, pretty expensive, but it got there overnight with no problems.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

For peace of mind...

Purchase a cheap plastic gun case to pack it in. Make sure the firearm is well protected and does not move. Insert case in a cardboard box and use the proper packing tape to secure.

Used them all, but have used USPS the last few years. I fill out the insurance form and tell them it's a shotgun and never a problem.

By the way, they are not allowed to mark the outside package indicating it's a firearm.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Experience with UPS has been horrible

dont

regards from Iowa

Gene

go fedex

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

don't use UPS

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

USPS doesn't ask

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Fellow Trap Shooters,
    Thanks for teh suggestions. I took the advise that was given by several of you and I went to the post office last night on my way home. No questions asked and no hassels. Shipping and Insurance was $14.00 cheaper than UPS quoted me. Thanks to everyone your input was appreciated.
    Jim Bradbury

13. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Don't ship UPS:use Fed Ex or USPS. I shipped USPS last month for my annual from the west coast. No problem except for the Moron working the counter who wanted to see an FFL. I asked her to get the Post Master of the branch. It shipped!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.