1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for my Dad's Christmas Presents

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Suggestions for my Dad

Literally my dad has everything he needs, I need suggestions, as-far-as guns go, any gun he would really want I really can't afford. He has never really been a big reader, I've gotten him books in the past and with a few exceptions he doesn't read very many, even though this year I may get him Palin's new book.

He doesn't need any clothes, doesn't wear any jewelry except for watches and he has two of them.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated, he is 70 and he does shoot trap, but doesn't really need anything for that either. I'm listening guys, really need your help.

Also a non-drinker.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

I know kid - how about a nice...football?

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A guided pheasant hunt, or a chartered fishing excursion with you and his best shooting buddy.

A new flat screen TV? ( if he don't have one.}

A hand made, custom fitted pair of his favorite style of boots. or hand tooled leather belt and shell box with his name.

A leather shooting bag engraved and custom tooled with his favorite scenes and his name or initials.

Guys like fine things that they would not normally spring for themseleves.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

OR, you could ask your dad to go out for dinner with and on you for his B-day? Time is precious and I'm sure he'd appreciate more of that? Hap

5. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Hmmm....Obama bought the Queen an ipod with tunes she'd like already loaded on it. Another thought, a digital picture frame loaded with pictures of various family members. Kim

6. Fox32

Fox32 Member

PICTURES!!!! Get some pictures of your dad and his shooting buddies, family and his best friends from years past and current ones as well. Go to Walgreens (or any photo shop) and have them scanned (if not already digital) and make a calendar for him. Ask your mom, uncles etc...for some pictures and you will blow him away. If they have old movies have them made into a DVD with music. These are gifts that will make a lasting impression!!!!

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My Dad was the same way, if he needed something he bought it so when it came time for gift giving it was a challenge. Bought him a sweater once that he fell in love with and wore on occasion for the last fifteen years of his life. The gift that he said he appreciated the most was when I wrote him a letter thanking him for being my Dad and how much he meant to me. I think he valued that letter almost as much as he enjoyed me spending time with him. Check at his gun club and see if they sell pre-paid trap tickets, that and a case of shells might work. While you're at it, shoot a couple rounds with him.

Robert

8. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Another thought is maybe a book on CD. It takes them back to their childhood when they listened to the radio. I don't know what your budget is...but the new digital books (Kindle, Amazon; Nook, Barnes & Noble, Sony, Sonystyle.com or Best Buy) allow for turning any book into a audio book with a headset. In addition, he would be able to adjust the font to a size that is comfortable for him to read too. My mom is his age and she expressed an interest in the digital books. Kim

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Nothing means more to a parent than knowing their child really appreciates them.. It sounds like they've done a fine job of raising a son..A simple meal..with a hand written card... or larger.. highlighting their contributions to you.. What they've put up with..in your quest of adulthood.. and how much you appreciate it will mean more than any material gift you can give them.. I keep using the plural.. because it applies to both parents..(hopefully)..

When my mother was dying of cancer..I tried to express these thoughts to her.. She reached in the top drawer of her night table.. and produced a card.. similar in nature to what I just told you about.. I wrote it when I was 7 or 8 years old... She kept it by her side till she died,some 35 years later..

you might add to that.. a complete car detailing for Dad..along with a full tank of gas... Maybe clean the rack of shotguns... Maybe a small plaque he can put where he wishes.. With just a few words.. Like "Greatest Dad"..

Red Solvine made a song by the name of "Giddy up Go".. It's NOT the big stuff that means as much as the little things given with a BIG heart..

All Good.. Mike

10. Eyemissum

Eyemissum TS Member

The best present you can give a Dad is to tell him you love him....an often too.

11. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

does he have a favorite SxS or o/u take the side plates and have new ones made, ingraved with his name or a nice ingraving job. Just an idea. Fran

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Time is the most valuable thing to me. If someone wants to spend time with me, that is the biggest compliment they can make. Paying for whatever we are doing is a nice addition but not the most appreciated. Ron Renouf

Note: For age perspective, I will soon be 70 years old.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Do something with your dad. You pay for it and spare no expense. Refuse to let him pay any of the bill. Just say your my Dad, and you deserve it....That's what I would like, and I'm the Dad that's had everything.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another vote for some activity the two of you can share and spend time together on. Could be a road trip to a trap shoot, could be a fishing trip or what ever. He will apreciate your time together more than any material item.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

From the 'father' side of this...

As a divorced father of a 17 year old boy (spends about 60% of the time with me - 40% with his mother), it was my turn for Thanksgiving.

He decided he wanted the full meal - for just the two of us. We spent the day cooking and prepping.

Net result as stated by him a) the best turkey he'd ever eaten, b) the best stuffing he'd ever had (BIG stuffing aficionado), and c) the most fun Thanksgiving he'd ever experienced.

He need not bring a gift to Christmas - already delivered...

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Like Robert & Mike--a really heart-felt letter telling him how much he means to you with an enclosed coupon for a dinner for two.

Gifts:

GPS unit

Satellite radio with subscription

A fine felt fedora or other style he may like (noggintops.com)

While not very personal--a pre-paid visa gift card

Guy Babin

P.S. I have this same issue with my wife every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.