1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for 28ga field gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smc968, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smc968

smc968 Member

Hi there,

I'm hoping I might get some suggestions from the folks out there on what would be options for a good, reasonably priced, 28ga o/u or s/s field fun (for upland game).

I'm looking for something used but in good condition. I have a lot of experience with all sorts of 12ga, but not so much with the smaller gauges.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Steve

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I know you specified O/U or SxS but Remington's small frame M1100 is about as sweet of a light field gun as there is. Something to consider anyway and it does fit the criteria of being reasonably priced. You don't need to make a fashion statement in the field - just have good equipment that works well.

3. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

Steve,

You can look at a Huglu 103D or 103C. I purchased one 6 months ago in

410 and have been very pleased. It is not equal to my Brownings but close and yo

u can purchase a new one for approx 800 to 850. Look at TR imports out of Texas

website. Hope this helps.

Marcus/ Shotgunner 50

4. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

why would you want a 28ga? have you priced a box of shells for them? I have a twenty and 28 ga and i can find loads for the 20 easier that will match the performance of the 28,and get more power when needed.Also it wont break the bank if i want to shoot a few rounds of skeet with it.Just consider all your options first.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Franchi 48AL is a real nice little gun worth looking into.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Beretta O/U with 2 barrel set in 20 & 28 ga.

Curt

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I use a Browning XS Feather in 28 and it is a joy to carry. About 5 lbs. It cost about $1200 used 4 years ago and was in pristine condition. In my opinion, a used Browning is a better buy than one of the cheaper imports and is readily sold if you ever want to get rid of it.

Sound advice above on the 20 ga. It may be a tad heavier but it is more versatile and less expensive to shoot if you do not reload.

If you get the 28, use the Winchester Rebate to purchase ammo and save the hulls for reloading or sell them for $.15 ea. I reload for the 28, so costs are not too bad.

Don Verna

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The 28 is about as sweet a little gun as you can carry in the field and a real killer. I have had a few over the years. I am now packing a Mossberg Silver Reserve in 28, because it has all the features of the expensive guns and is way inexpensive, I have seen them for under $500.00. Yes the ammo is spendy,but for a hunting gun in the uplands how much do you really shoot. You will notice I didn't say doves.Happy Shooting

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, these are not particularly popular and so you choice will be limited to what you can find at any given point in time. But my fave is the Browning BPS in 28 or 20 ga. Smooth hunters, fairly light... $450 when you can find them.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought a CZ Side by Side. Yes, they're made by Huglu. But I was impressed. Nice little gun. Do youself a favor, though, if you buy one. Make darned sure the barrels are regulated. The Turkish gun makers are notorious for poorly regulated doubles.

11. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Can you Say American Made...Hands Down.. Ruger Red Label. Great Guns. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

12. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

If you can find the imported Remington Premier O/U, they are fantastic !!
    Cabela's was closing them out @ $900 new .... best purchase I have made in yrs. Wish I would have bought several for my kids.

Really nice CT O/U with a hard case and nice wood.

Mike

13. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Yeah, 28GA ammo is spendy; but if you reload, the hulls last forever!

Most 28's on the market today are light, whippy 'lil things. If you don't mind a little extra weight you might want to take a look at an o/u with 28" barrels. They just seem more stable with the longer tubes. My favorite was an SKB 505 Deluxe with 28" barrels. Worked great for early season ringnecks and sporting clays.

Kiv

14. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Anybody have a 28" Browning Cynergy? They shoulder and point really nice IMO

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Browning Cynergy field guns are on closeout for 1300.00 right now. That is about as cheap as you will ever buy a new browninf 28ga. they have 26 inch barrels which can be pretty fast. Some guys can't shoot the shorter barrels but then some guys can't shoot longer barrels and still yet another group aren't much good with any thing so I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker. CDNN investements has them. Jeff

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just shot a Huglu imported by CZ, this last Saturday at a S/S sporting clays shoot. My Stevens 5100, which I have been shooting, bit the dust (receiver cracking and pieces falling off). The gunshop up the road offered me the Huglu 28ga to try.

I'll admit, I was not sure this gun would make it through 200 shells. This model was the Ringneck....28" choke tube bbls, false sideplates, fair wood.

After shooting all day with factory Estate shells; 5-stand and clays, I was impressed. The top score from 67 shooters was an 88. I had an 85. The gun was very comfortable to shoot. Generally after a day of clays with any S/S (I've shot quite a few, though all were 12ga) my face was bruised and sometimes my shoulder. The 28ga felt like a BB-gun. It also shot exactly were I wanted it to shoot.

If anyone was wondering about the scores in the 80's, of the 200 I shot, the club also had a lot of "side" events going also...simulated pigeon shoot and a woodcock walk, etc.

This gun now belongs to me. I traded an unfired Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U ( won in a raffle with a $3 ticket purchase) for it.

Doug

17. smc968

smc968 Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

18. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I have one of these -- a light and beautiful O/U in 28g...when I shoot skeet for fun and games, this is the one I use. It's also my primary grouse gun...

Renaissance Elite Specifications
    Super Lightweight Over & Under
    Available in 12. 20 and 28 Gauge
    3” Chambers in the 12 and 20 Gauge
    AA-Grade Walnut Stock
    The Left Side of the Receiver depicts a Gold-engraved Mallard Landing
    The Right Side of the Receiver depicts a Gold-engraved Flushing Pheasant
    The Bottom of the Receiver features Gold-Engraved Logo and Scrollwork
    Stainless Steele Trigger Guard and Gold-Plated Trigger
    5 Choke Tubes and Wrench Included
    TSA Recoil Pad for Reduced Recoil with optional Gel pads of 14 3/8”, 14 ¾” or 15”
    Fitted Hard Case Included

They have a $200 rebate on them right now....a great savings for a great little gun...Cya

19. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I know you stated o/u or s/s but I had to mention the new Ithaca M37 28 ga pump. I picked one of these up to play around with and I am very impressed with the handling and balance of this little gun. Weighs about 6lbs and handles like a magic wand, have shot mainly sporting clays with it and I am impressed with how hard it hits,have not really noticed much difference in my scores using it or a 12ga. US made also.

JohnR

johnr_2008_300855.jpg

johnr_2008_300856.jpg

20. esetter

esetter Active Member

Get yourself a Parker Reproduction in 28GA and you will be happy forever. As nice a gun as there is out there for the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.