1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion regarding the ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I posted the following suggestion a little while ago, but it appeared at the bottom of a 150 post thread, and it received no response, either pro or con. In case some people didn't see it, and in light of the rush to judgment that seems to be occurring, I am re-posting it again here.

-------------

The more I read about this, the more I fear that the phrase "Tempest in a Teapot" may apply. The expenses don't seem particularly out of line to me, and the rest of it seems to be more a matter of disclosure than anything else. A heavy-handed approach to this issue could easily deprive the ATA of the services of some highly qualified and very helpful people.

Some judge once said, "Sunshine is the best disinfectant." With that in mind, I would like to suggest this solution:

The ATA membership should be polled (in writing) to determine whether the bylaws of the ATA should be amended to provide that

1. Detailed audited financial statements of the ATA shall be prepared annually and published in such a manner that they are readily available to the ATA membership.

2. All transactions (including reimbursement of expenses) between the ATA and its officers and members of its governing bodies (identifying each such officer and member and the amount of each such transaction) shall be disclosed in a supplement to the ATA's financial statements, whether or not such information is required by generally accepted accounting principles.

3. The contribution of a retiring President of the ATA to the Association's welfare shall be recognized by delivery to him or her at the end of his or her last term of office of a suitably engraved gift costing no more than $-----. No other officer or member of a governing body of the ATA shall receive any gift, emolument or other form of recognition of service, except one costing less than $100.

4. The foregoing amendments cannot be modified, supplemented or repealed except by a vote of the membership.

I would suggest that these changes be submitted individually and not as a package, so that members can vote on them separately.

Ted K.

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

Why is it that people think that because people are paid/reimbused that they are qualified? There many organizations that are run by real unpaid/unreimbured vol. Even in the ATA there are ways for people, who cannot afford the expense, to make a contribution.

By the way, since many of the ATA EC meetings seem to be at shoots, there are many ATA members who pay their way that could be on the EC free to the ATA.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Blacklab, what many organizations are run by unpaid or non-reimbursed

volunteers??? Comparable positions, please!

4. blacklab

blacklab Member

Habit for Humanity. There are the same paid positions as the ATA has,,ie ex director, but the workers are all volunteer!

5. BigM-Perazzi

I'm not sure it's fair to compare "real" charitable organizations with religious affiliations with the ATA...

So, I'll wait for something more comparable.

6. blacklab

blacklab Member

They are both 501c(3) so the IRS don't care. Same rules apply.

7. BigM-Perazzi

I care, obviously the ATA members care.

Actually, the IRS allows all 501 c3 organizations to have reasonable compensation for their executives.With the exception of the Gun give away, I don't really get much of a rise out of the expenses. The issues of lack of apparent transparency though, do.

8. blacklab

blacklab Member

It is not the amount so much, I admit I have not run the %, but where the meetings are. The IRS does care about that.

9. zinger

zinger Member

I can't see why every prez needs a $16K shotgun for an outgoing gift or 20K to spend as he sees fit along with the other paid expenses. What can they really do in one year to deserve that?

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Big M,

I am a volunteer. I have daughter with a disability. I've served in executive/managment positions on volunteer boards for organizations which advocate and/or provide services for individuals like her for 25 years. I've never expected or recieved a dime in compensation. There are thousands more like me all over North America. I don't know if it's germaine to this argument but I just thought you should know...

Ron Burr

11. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I have no problem with a gun, but it's compensation, and has to be reported as such.

I have much less problem with the 20k discretionary fund. That is winin' & dinin' money for donors, sponsors, supporters ... 'bidness development' if you wish.

That said, it IS used for that, and has to show a nexus to results - it is NOT play money.

Ron, I hear you. I'm on a couple of C-3 boards and I'm proud and humbled to serve. Yeah, I take a loss (not to mention writing quite a few small checks for normal fundraisings and extraordinary events) - I agree with BobGlatz, there ... that is part of leadership - but maybe that will go on the right-hand side of St. Peter's ledger when it's my time.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.