1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion on reload banch rebuild.......

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dirt stirrer, Dec 13, 2016.

1. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Been remodeling the "boom room" for a while. Ended up with one of those Craftsman work benches, solid 2" thick laminated strip maple table top. Very solid bench. Want to mount the various presses; shotshell, metallic, and lubers, in order to mount without drilling a hunert holes in the bench top.

Want to use those inset track things. Where does one go to find those. I'm not the greatest "thing" surfer on the net.

TIA,
    Cary

2. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

WesleyB thanked this.
  3. dirt stirrer

Bizzactly what I was looking for. Local places like Lowes don't have anything like it.

Thanks

4. 10Goal

10Goal Active Member

The tracks I'm familiar with are made of aluminum. I can't imagine them being strong enough to hold a metallic press during the resize operation - unless you're working with some really small brass.

My bench is made out of an old cast iron metal lathe base with a 1/4" thick steel top - I'd guess it weighs 500 pounds. I haven't tried to resize 300 win mag brass yet, but I'm still a little concerned that the bench will try to tip.

The last bench I had was all wood and I had to bolt it to the floor.

5. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

I installed one set of bolts in my bench. I mounted each of my reloaders on plywood and switch them out as needed.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Cary, you might take a look at Inline Fabrications. They make mounts for lots of different presses, and they make a sort of universal mount with interchangeable top plates. I like mine very much. I can undo two bolts and have the entire press off in 30 seconds. Replacing is just as easy. Welcome to InLine Fabrication. – Inline Fabrication

BTW, it is a little hard to find stuff on their site, so be persistent.

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

For my Rockchucker and Dillon I just use one or two C-clamps. I too use a 2" laminated wood top bench.

8. dirt stirrer

Thanks guys,

Was resolved to do what jr said above, except drill one set of holes in tabletop, and use a metal plate (or plywood) using long bolts to secure plate/board, and then be able to utilize table top for other activities when not using any of the presses. Bolts sticking up all the time might interfere with other things. I will take a look at that site this weekend.

I had the same reservations about the aluminum track too, not quite as tough or resilient as steel.

9. 10Goal

10Goal Active Member

To resolve the whole metallic re-sizing/stress issue, just buy a Forster Co-ax press. You can mount that with C-clamps easy.

The co-ax is very high on my want list, in case someone is thinking Christmas for me :)

10. dolton916

dolton916 Well-Known Member

dirt stirrer thanked this.
  11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I use an old school table from the 60's large surface area ... thick top.. almost 4x4's for legs I Have 2 hornaday lock n loads... and PW 800+ doesn't move one I ota

12. RutabagaDave

RutabagaDave Member

13. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

I have the same set up as Wesely B. It works fine.

14. PTDriver

PTDriver Member

I built mine using racking from menards. 8ft high, 8 foot long , 30in wide.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My bench uses 2x4s... for both top and lower shelf frame and then uprights for legs... top and lower shelf are 6'wide by 2' deep using 3/4" plywood. The top is doubled up 3/4" with the top layer about 4" narrower so there is a 4" well in the back for residual power and shot spillage after brushing... the 4" strip was used as the top's back-splash.

My 12/20 gauge Hornady presses use the same bolt pattern so if I need to swap loaders, it is like dropping in a new bushing.

The "lower shelf" to "top" clearance is two stacked "Bankers Boxes" for miscellaneous storage. The bench itself weighs plenty, and after adding the weight of reserve loaders, boxed hulls and misc accessories in the Bankers Boxes, it doesn't move or require additional securing.

FYI...

16. dirt stirrer

I finally made my mind up on the bench press situation. Were it not for the fact I have not only shotshell presses, but also metallic presses too, I was leaning towards the T-Track system. For a lot less money, I fabbed my own heavy plate to accommodate both types of presses, bolted down to the table top. And I simply rotate it 90 degrees each time to put another press on. I will seldom, well never, have the need to have more than one press on the bench at a time, typically load up a bunch of whatever I'm doing, then change presses.

Hope the pics show up. First one is back side, allholes are countersunk to allow bevel heads to be flush with underside of plate.

upload_2017-1-9_10-38-2.jpeg

Other side, painted to more closely match maple top of bench. Dunno what happened to pic of top side, it was there, then it wasn't.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  17. smokestick682's

smokestick682's Well-Known Member

20170109_130353.jpg
    I bought 2 soild wood doors at lowe's. Cut to fit, stained to match selving and finish with 3 coats polyurethane. I still have the 2nd door to intall to extend the bench that much farther. My reloading wall is 14'.
    Lol, it seems you never have enough room.

18. 1100NUT

1100NUT Member

Drill and use bolts. You wont move the press anyway.

19. 9straight

9straight Member

Lee Valley Tools online has a number of solutions for that.